Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone even remembers me Yes I'm still considering an Insight one of these days, haha :D

I told my friends about my wanting an Insight, and one of them mentioned I should get a vanity plate for it... I instantly thought of this

Not HA HA funny but figured it might give some people a chuckle.

Extreme MPG ftw! :badgrin:

·
Registered
741 Posts
You might want to wait until 2009. (1) The insight is discontinued. (2) The new model will probably be a 4-seater with comparable economy (66mpg highway).

It's only two years. I can wait that long. :lol: If not, by 2010, we ought to be able to pick-up used insights for less than $5000.

IMHO:

- In almost every case, it's cheaper to keep the car you have now, rather than put yourself ~$20,000 into the hole (purchasing an insight, prius, or other hybrid).

As example, take my 25mpg Avenger vs. an Insight:
Avenger = $0.00 (keep it)
Insight = $20,000 tag - $1000 saved per year
That means it would take *20 years* to pay back the expense of the Insight. That means, it is cheaper for my to keep the car I currently have.

I bought my insight, not for economic reasons, but for "cool technology" reasons.

·
Registered
741 Posts
james said:
OK, but why would someone who likes the (2 seater) CRX and Insight, want to wait around for a probable 4 seater with worse mpg? I don't think those extra two seats are going to be a big selling point with current Insight owners.

And how much of the population do we insight owners represent?

0.0001%?

I think Honda's goal is to reach the NON-inisght owners, the other 99.99%, who DO want/need 4-seater cars. They want to sell cars, not watch them sit in dealer lots & collect dust (as happened with the insight 2002-3). Seems like a good strategy to me: Give the masses what they want: 4 seats.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Look, I was just answering James' question. Don't bite my head off. He asked. I answered.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is Honda going to have three four door hybrids, the civic the insight and the accord? :oops:

·
Registered
702 Posts
SinisterCRX said:
So is Honda going to have three four door hybrids, the civic the insight and the accord? :oops:
ya...i think the big selling point on the civic and accord hybrids is the name...theyve sold so many, IMO, based on the fact that its an accord/civic hybrid, and not a new car line

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"Look, I was just answering James' question."

You weren't answering my question, which wasn't about how many of its hypothetical 4-seat hybrid Honda might expect to sell to the non-Insight-owning public. Now if SinisterCRX had been trying to decide whether to get a Civic hybrid or wait for the new model, you'd be on point, but why should those of us who _like_ two-seat cars want to wait, instead of getting an Insight now?

The masses may prefer 4-seaters, but I'm NOT one of the masses :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Given the choice between a 2-seater and a 4-seater, that both get identical highway MPG, which would you choose?

If it were me, I'd choose the 4-seater, and that's why I brought it to Sinister's attention. I'm giving him information & options. That's all.
SinisterCRX said:
Yes.
- Accord is the low MPG car.
- Civic is the middle ~50 mpg car.
- The new 4-seater will be (honda claims) designed to get ultra-high MPG, similar to an insight. Although this will probably be a *2* door model, like a coupe.

Hope that answers your question.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Troy. Please stay on topic.

Your individual misunderstandings with other members is a better fit for a PM. And should you feel the need to further discuss my replies in this thread a PM is the way to go. Further discussion of this matter in the forums will be removed.

Please don't _make_ me put my teeth in. :|

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.