Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight CVT 160K and 2010 Honda Insight 106K w/NAV
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 2000 silver insight 130K MT with blown transmission just went up for sale where I live and I pounced. I haven't towed it home yet to give it a good look over but it's supposed to have a new IMA battery installed by Honda a year ago. Honda told the owner the transmission was blown.... it's running rough, the new 12v battery has been sitting for 3 months and it's dead.

Not sure if I'm going to try and fix it up or part it out. Depends how hard it is to obtain a transmission and install it.

·
Super Moderator
5,435 Posts
First you have to find out what's really wrong. "Blown" isn't a very technical term. Let us know when you've had a chance to check it.

Sam

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,701 Posts
"New IMA battery from Honda" a year ago...................... I doubt it.
Like SAM said, diagnose the transmission first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"New IMA battery from Honda" a year ago...................... I doubt it.
Like SAM said, diagnose the transmission first.
I've got all the repair receipts from various Honda dealerships going back to 2004. Jan of 2021 she paid $2911.24 for IMA battery replacement.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I think Willie was doubting the word "new" - it likely is a refurb, but installed by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Having a Honda battery, assuming it's a Primearth pack, is absolutely awesome. 130K? That's almost brand new :) Running rough? Don't part it, fix it!!!!

If you don't have time to fix it, sell it to one of us who is able to bring it back to life!!!

I bought my first MT at 145K with a collapsed roof, broken fender and hood, and other bent stuff from a deer strike. I took nine months and fixed it. I just got back from a road trip across the country. It was COMPLETELY loaded with gear, some of it very heavy - just enough room to see out the mirrors and that's it. Even loaded, got 70 MPG on one 700 mile hypermiling stretch, 60 MPG driving mildly, and 50+ MPG when I had to get somewhere. I forgot to check the mileage - probably close to 7500 miles. As of now it is a couple hundred miles shy of rolling over to 200K. It was running better at the end of the trip in all respects than the beginning!!!!!

Reactions: julianachos

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah! Yes, I expect that also. Yes, it's likely a refurbished. There was a core charge. It does not say new or refurbished.... just "replaced"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having a Honda battery, assuming it's a Primearth pack, is absolutely awesome. 130K? Running rough? Don't part it, fix it!!!!
I just got a CVT with 160K miles last week. I personally would prefer the MT but my wife can't drive that and if our other car needs extended service then she would need to take mine to work. This will allow me to tinker with a car and not be without a car.

Who knows, maybe the transmission is fine.... She told me the transmission was why it was running rough but it was idle at the time. It was cheap enough so I was going to buy it no matter what was wrong with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should I be able to tell what the deal is with the replacement IMA battery once I take the cover off? Are there usually labels or indications of who serviced the pack?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you look through the fan blades in the battery pack with a flashlight you will be looking at black carriers for the sticks and the stick covering should be visible. Orange is Primearth color, yellow-orange is Panasonic. Though a recent post showed some aftermarket sticks with the same Primearth orange. However, I had to wonder if the photo was actually of Primearth cells.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First you have to find out what's really wrong. "Blown" isn't a very technical term. Let us know when you've had a chance to check it.
Finally got the 12v battery back to life. The transmission makes a grinding scratchy noise... much like the breaks sound from sitting unused. In neutral, if I hold the clutch in it sounds fine. Soon as I back it off about 30% the grinding sound kicks in. And when I press the clutch back in I have to press down the same amount (70%) before the noise stops. I haven't driven the car yet, just a few feet back and forth in the driveway. It's more difficult to notice the noise in 1st gear or R but it's hard to tell with the extra engine noise at such a short distance.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Finally got the 12v battery back to life. The transmission makes a grinding scratchy noise... much like the breaks sound from sitting unused. In neutral, if I hold the clutch in it sounds fine. Soon as I back it off about 30% the grinding sound kicks in. And when I press the clutch back in I have to press down the same amount (70%) before the noise stops. I haven't driven the car yet, just a few feet back and forth in the driveway. It's more difficult to notice the noise in 1st gear or R but it's hard to tell with the extra engine noise at such a short distance.
What you are describing sounds like a throw out bearing.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,078 Posts
Or input shaft bearing -- known wear point. Hardly sounds like the trans is toast. In Maine, sitting for a while, brakes are likely to be rusted and will probably need some attention. For this one, I wouldn't be thinking part out. Try and find a way to keep it alive as a runner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Or input shaft bearing -- known wear point. Hardly sounds like the trans is toast. In Maine, sitting for a while, brakes are likely to be rusted and will probably need some attention. For this one, I wouldn't be thinking part out. Try and find a way to keep it alive as a runner.
Yes, thinking about using this to learn more about my 2006. Will plan on slowly fixing it up cosmetically and probably tackle the transmission in the spring. Hopefully my brother will have a lift at his place by then.

·
Registered
609 Posts
This. As I posted I was thinking it is that and not the TO. At any rate trans needs to be dropped. Nothing major. When you replace the clutch the kit should come with both (on my DC5 it did) if it’s a good kit with everything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Honda Dealership told me that the exhaust needed to also be replaced because the mounts are all rusted out and when they drop the tranny it's all going to break apart. I haven't looked under it yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A 2000 silver insight 130K MT with blown transmission just went up for sale where I live and I pounced. I haven't towed it home yet to give it a good look over but it's supposed to have a new IMA battery installed by Honda a year ago. Honda told the owner the transmission was blown.... it's running rough, the new 12v battery has been sitting for 3 months and it's dead.

Not sure if I'm going to try and fix it up or part it out. Depends how hard it is to obtain a transmission and install it.
I have a transmission

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the exhaust from the back of the first cat back like new
How much do you want for them?
I think I just need a rebuild kit for the tranny but I'm still learning. Have not seen the exhaust yet but it probably needs it sooner than later anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts