Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I just purchased a 2000 Honda Insight with 136,000 miles from the second owner who had had it since 2001. He took extremely good care of it and it didn’t have any issues during the test drive and I couldn’t find a single thing wrong with the whole car. The battery was even replaced two months ago and is covered under a three year warranty. However, on my 100 mile drive home the check engine light and IMA light came on and I lost the assist and charge features. About 100 feet from my parking lot the 12v battery came on as well as the brake and abs lights. The car then died. The car is showing only the code p1440 but I have no clue what’s wrong with it. Any insight would greatly help.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Looks like the 12v battery is bad. Have it checked under load
Please add your location in the avatar.

·
Premium Member
10,215 Posts
Ditto with minor statements. Have the 12V battery LOAD tested, not just voltage tested.
All 12V batterys have a date (of mfg/activation) sticker on them, check the date.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the date on the 12v battery and it shows it’s only 2 years old but I will have it load tested.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
  1. What if his hybrid battery is turned off Behind the Seats
What if he was in third gear and drove over 4000 RPM

You'll get it narrowed down I had car for three years now had to purchase one O2 sensor and one 12 v battery rest of the time has been nothing but fun

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
It is also possible you were scammed... some sellers will reset the error codes so the car will perform long enough to get through a test drive, but the battery can still be in bad shape. Do you have receipts for the new battery?

But yes, definitely check the 12V battery and all ground straps in the engine compartment. Make sure they're not corroded or broken. This post can help you locate them: Ground locations

·
Super Moderator
7,628 Posts
All good suggestions. I'd just add that there is a 3 page troubleshooting section for the P1440(IMA System Problem) in the service manual. No where in there does it suggest replacement of the IMA battery. If you have a battery which was genuinely replaced 2 months ago (receipts required) then the battery isn't likely the problem, IMO. That 3 pages if full of "loose connection" stuff which could point to bad connectors, or to corrosion in connectors. The diagnostic is on pp 12-60 to 12-62. I think the Service is available for download somewhere around here, but those are the appropriate pages.

·
Super Moderator
7,628 Posts
IMO no one should own one of these old cars without two critical references, the Service Manual and the Electrical Troubleshooting Guide. Both are out of print but available on eBay:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I had the 12v battery tested and it’s in good shape. I called Greentec about the battery and they said it sure does have their 3 year warranty that was activated in December. They want to look at the car so I’m taking it to my nearest service station tomorrow to have them go over it. If they find that it is the battery they are going to replace it free of charge. The car has 136,000 miles and I bought it from the original owner. The car was maintained all 20 years at the Honda dealership where it was originally purchased (I have every record of the car including every oil and tire change). There isn’t so much as a stain or tear on the interior and the exterior looks exillent since it was garage kept it’s entire life. I got ahold of the owner after the car broke down and he told me if it costs a lot to repair after Greentec looks over it he would reimburse me.

Thank you,
Daniel McGee

·
Super Moderator
7,628 Posts
Your seller is one honest guy. Normally private sales of old used cars are "as is."

Like I said, the service manual troubleshooting procedure doesn't indicate that it would be the battery, but no harm in having it checked if Greentec offers. There could be a loose plug or something from the installation which they would hopefully find. From the car history, it doesn't seem likely that a corroded plug would be the problem either.

There is a rather short and easy MCM reset procedure which I could photograph and post for you if Greentec doesn't find the problem. Beyond that troubleshooting gets more complicated since the battery compartment lid has to come off.

By chance, did the car spend its previous life in a salty environment?

You should add your general location to your profile. This in traditional on IC and it can be helpful to an owner in many cases. Click the small avatar at top right for access to the profile button :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, I’m only a college student so the sellers (an elderly couple) assured me the car was in good condition and they felt awful when I called them back and explained what had happened (I understand it isn’t their fault). The salt has lived its entire life in Kirkland Washington and been serviced at Honda of Kirkland with the receipts for the 15k, 30k, 45k, 75k, 105k, and 130k Service intervals. It’s truly in excellent condition! Under the hood looks pretty much brand new! I can’t imagine corrosion is the issue but I missed wire or failing computer could certainly be the problem.

·
Premium Member
10,215 Posts
"The salt has lived its entire life in"?
Please include your Location in your Profile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoops I obviously started typing something there. I meant to say that it has never lived in a state that uses salt.

·
Premium Member
10,215 Posts
That's what I thought you meant.
Please include your location in your Profile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I ended up replacing a couple of the ground straps that looked questionable however that didnt fix the issue. It turns out it was the dc inverter that needed to be replaced. I’m now back on the road and enjoying the car!

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I ended up replacing a couple of the ground straps that looked questionable however that didnt fix the issue. It turns out it was the dc inverter that needed to be replaced. I’m now back on the road and enjoying the car!
Really! Do you still have the old one? I don't think I've ever heard of a DC/DC converter dying in an Insight. I'm sure people here would be interested to know how/why it failed!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Electrical Troubleshooting Manual is out of stock at Helms. Theres a wait list for the paper manuals techinfo.honda.com/

Some of us have the manuals and can help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sadly I didn't ask to see the old inverter. I have a trusted mechanic that switched the part out and I just went on a 200 mile trip without any issues.

·
Administrator
11,014 Posts
I suspect it was the whole MPI assembly including the dc-dc that was replaced.
P1440 refers to a likely failure in the IGBT side of that assembly rather then the dc-dc side.
The dc-dc side/inverter was just along for the ride.

Perhaps your mechanic can send you a pic of the failed part?
How much was the repair?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts