Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just picked up an 01 insight with p1449. When we take off the 12 volt battery to reset it, the IMA works great. Charges the battery all the way up, and assist works great. Once the IMA light comes on, it shut's the system down. I'm going to purchase a MIMA system for the car, but should I get the battery replaced first? Or see if MIMA and the pack whack can bring it back to life?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
407 Posts
Totally out of warranty....
Make sure.

You don't post your mileage, but the battery pack and related controllers have a 10 year from in service date/ 157500 mile warranty.

If out of warranty, contact board member Ron at Hybrid Battery Repair.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i'm at 195k miles. Definitely feel like I need to replace that battery first now that I've reset it a few times. Once you put heavy charge or assist current through the system, it throws the light. If you try to use assist very lightly it will continue to work without the IMA light coming on.

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
I would buy/build an IMA battery charger/balancer and use it to balance the individual cells in your battery. It could be that the cells are so badly out of balance that the P1449 code is set. Even if that doesn't fix the problem, you'll probably need the charger to keep your replacement battery in good shape for many miles.

Mike Dabrowski is currently loaning a charger that he has built, so you might want to contact him.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
A P1449 usually will not respond to grid charging for an extended period of time. There are four different P1449 codes. One can be set by a battery that self-discharges too fast. This will also cause a P1570 if left off long enough. The more common P1449 is caused by a stick pair that fades under hard discharging (or charging). A grid charger will only help this for a little while as the faulty cell will continue to degrade with use and will get VERY bad eventually.

I would buy/build an IMA battery charger/balancer and use it to balance the individual cells in your battery. It could be that the cells are so badly out of balance that the P1449 code is set. Even if that doesn't fix the problem, you'll probably need the charger to keep your replacement battery in good shape for many miles.

Mike Dabrowski is currently loaning a charger that he has built, so you might want to contact him.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could this be a problem with my BCM? I ask because I have never seen the SOC hold at less that 18 bars of charge. I usually get negative recals that go from 19 bars to 2 bars. usually followed by the IMA light after the second recal. After a few minutes of charging I get a positive recal that brings the SOC back up to 18-19 bars. I really dont want to have the battery repaired to find I might have a faulty BCM. TIA for any insight, no pun intended.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,904 Posts
P-1449........Overheated battery pack....caused by deterioated cell. If you are going to use the IMA a lot, get Ron to repair the battery. If not, check the voltage going to the 12V battery..........mostly 14.2V.........If a manual transmission, install a CARD switch and KEEP ON TRUCKING.
Been there,done that.........My opinion.

Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,904 Posts
It's a thermal thing. Why keep charging something that is already overheated.?
I've seen similar indications several times. THe only trouble codes I've received is P-1447 or P-1449.
First indication of another bad battery was at 204K around 9/07.

Willie

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
P-1449........Overheated battery pack....caused by deterioated cell. If you are going to use the IMA a lot, get Ron to repair the battery. If not, check the voltage going to the 12V battery..........mostly 14.2V.........If a manual transmission, install a CARD switch and KEEP ON TRUCKING.

Willie
Hey Willie,

What is the CARD you talk about for the Manual transmissions?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I spoke to Ron he believed this was an out of balance issue based on the symptoms. I've just recently understood what positive and negative recals (recalibrations.....) were. So I didnt mention that when I spoke to him. I'm just thinking there might be a problem with my BCM too as I dont have any SOC resolution between 4 and 19 bars....

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Just saw this thread, FYI, MIMA does not void the IMA warrantee.
We have well in excess of 1,000,000 miles with the modification, with no evidence of issues caused by the system.
It can actually help the battery in some conditions.

It sounds from your symptoms like there is a cell or more with very high Internal Resistance (IR) in one or more of your sticks.

19 bars to 2 is pretty bad, and that followed by a positive recal would seem to point to large voltage variations with load or charging.
The battery is the more likely problem over the BCM IMHO

·
Registered
21 Posts

Willie
What is a card switch? I'm having same problem, on a replacement battery pack, less than 40,000 miles on 2nd pack. 2000 citrus.

·
Registered
918 Posts
What is a card switch? I'm having same problem, on a replacement battery pack, less than 40,000 miles on 2nd pack. 2000 citrus.
CARD (Calpod Assist Regen Disable - I think) aka Calpod switch. Named for the IC member who first told us about this. Just a simple on-off switch that lets the car think the clutch is in. Very helpful for nursing a weak battery along.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/10469-how-disable-assist-regen.html

Tim

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
N2oExpresS2k:
If the previous owner had the battery replaced near the end of the extended warranty period and he had to pay anything for the exchange it's possible that the the 2nd battery is still under warranty.

A friend of mine here in S. Fla with a 2001 has that exact same scenario and he still has a month or so on the replacement Honda battery warranty. So find out the details of when the PO had your battery changed and did he pay anything for the replacement battery.

When I got my car, I paid $24 for a goodwill warranty exchange (the error code was showing when the PO owned the car on his Honda maintenance invoices but he didn't change the battery) and I have a 3 year warranty on the "new" battery.

If your battery is out of warranty, try grid charging and discharging it first. I did that for friend on another of his cars and the battery went for another year with no trouble; other than an occasional grid charge.

We just did the charge/discharge a few times again and the battery seems to have responded OK. But eventually it will have to be replaced. But he's had a year of gas savings to buy another battery if he wants to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts