Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new here...I've wanted an Insight for years, and everything finally came together yesterday when I found a silver '05 manual w/ only 9,000 miles and still under warranty! Considering the demand here in California, the price is excellent, and it will be worth the drive back from Texas...I'm actually looking forward to spending some concentrated time with my new baby getting to know it! First question: What should I know right out of the box to maximize MPG on my trip? Also...Is there any "hidden" storage space in the car where I can stash stuff...like under the rear part of the cabin? If I have to leave my purse or briefcase in the car, I'm not crazy about having them out where they can be seen. Thanks for whatever help you can offer!! :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
welcome to the club!

first, read the knowledge base and the encyclopedia. links are at the top of the page.

second, keep a light foot on the gas. back off a bit going up-hill. its called DWL (driving with load). yes, let the car slow down a bit as it climbs the hill.

third, there is hidden storage under the rear shelf. and in case you are wondering, the spare tire is under the hidden storage. lots of room back there for such a small car!

enjoy your new fuel sipper!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi alegria and welcome to the forum :!: :)

Make sure the tires are at least correctly inflated. Dealers are notorious for underinflating them to 28-32 psi. By your choice its safe to inflate to the maximum rated capacity of the tire 44psi. Many hyper milers push the envelope a bit and go to 50psi. :shock:

Don't be too disappointed if your MPG isn't great out of the box. It takes some time for the MPG gauge to "teach" you. ;) In addition to HalfNhaf's good advice one of the "tricks" is to find the _lightest_ pedal pressure (gas pedal) that will allow you to maintain the speed you choose. Commonly you will see the MPG gauge increase 5-10-15 MPG with lighter pressure and still be able to maintain speed (not uphill though ;) ) FYI 72 MPHish is the maximum speed that lean burn will be available (Read: MPG will steeply fall off above that point).

Finally review the many techniques repeatedly outlined in posts scattered in the MPG forum.

Please keep us informed as your Insight ownership experience progresses :!:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
If you open the hatch and look down, you'll see a fabric loop. Pull up on that, and you'll find a storage bin. It has a liner which pulls out to get to the spare tire, and to either side there is space enough to fit a biggish purse. (I use one side for tire chains in the winter.) If you're going to leave something in there while driving, a strap or bungee cord would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The electric assist of the IMA system is there to give you rapid accelleration when you really need it, but if you want to join the ranks of the hypermilers you have to learn to use it sparingly. The energy that is in the batteries that is "free" is that gained when braking or going down a long hill using the engine to save the brakes. Using this "electric braking" it will take time to learn the appropriate gear to be in with varying conditions to get the maximum IMA recharge (Regen). Regen happens whenever the tail lights go on and this happens with only the slightest touch of the brakes. Smooth acceleration and braking go against fundamental human instincts.

If you want to try cruising in "lean burn", I find it helpfull to slide my right foot over to the right untill it rests gently on the carpet. This helps limit my dithering the accellerator.

Many techniques have been discussed in this forum. Some may not be appropriate for your driving style. The Insight will give you excellent mileage even without any "advanced techniques".

When you take flying lessons you are reminded that the pilots primary task is to "fly the plane". In a new car, especially a 5 speed Insight, it is easy to get distracted by the gears and the "game guages". Remember your primary mission is to get back safely!

Enjoy your trip. :D Welcome to the club. ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
... Make sure the tires are at least correctly inflated.
... By your choice its safe to inflate to the maximum rated capacity of the tire 44psi.
... Don't be too disappointed if your MPG isn't great out of the box. It takes some time for the MPG gauge to "teach" you. ;)
He's right - check those tires BEFORE leaving with the car or as soon as you can after you pick it up.

As for the MPG and the car "teach"ing you don't be too disappointed if you don't get eighty or ninety MPG the first day. In my case I have a CVT and it took me close to six (6) months to really begin to learn just what these little gems can do for me, and I'll tell you now, they perform BETTER than advertised, a lot better ... you'll learn to craw up to a red light or a stop sign, as opposed to racing to them. You'll learn to stay in the right hand lane and zip along at a comfortable fifty or sixty MPH, and only time and experience will teach you just how sensative that gas peddle linkage is - and it is just that, sensative.

Best of luck with the new car. Odds are it'll probably turn out to be one of the better cars you'll ever own.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts