Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I purchased a JVC KD-NX5000 (dvd, gps) and it requires a wire to be tapped into the speed signal lead wire (signal lead from the spedometer) for the navigation system. I haven't any idea what wire I'm looking for.

Does anyone know where this wire is located and what color it is? I assume it's got to be a wire going to the speedometer gauge in the dash.

Thanks,

--Ron

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If it has GPS why would it need a speed signal?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Some newer head units will scale volume with speed, I'd assume that is the feature that needs the speed sensor.

It's probably a leftover from lower end models that don't include GPS.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Some units do "dead reckoning" calculations based on vehicle speed and distance travelled to compensate for places where the GPS signal is weakened or lost for whatever reason (urban canyons, tunnels, heavy foliage...). This information is gathered by the head unit from the cars speedometer and odometer reports... :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
JVC KD-NX5000

You just need the rest of the installation kit. It is sold at Crutchfield.com. It is JVC KVPG1 speed pulse generator. Here is the link http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... i=105KVPG1
We had the same problem installing the JVC KD-NX5000 in my sister's older corvette. This all that you need.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
That kit is only needed when yor car does not have a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) wire. The Insight does...So to answer the original question, The VSS wire is a blue/white wire that goes to the ECM (under the passenger foot panel). It is also available at other locations. Use the search function and search for "VSS" and you will find many posts for installing a cruise control (They also need to tap into the VSS).

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thank you for your great information about the VSS wire!!!!! I decided to install this unit in my Insight. It was not difficult and works GREAT!!!! Its nice that JVC decided to make a single DIN indash with navigation!!!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've had this indash navigation unit in my 2001 Insight for about a month now. I am pleased. I was worried about the small screen but have found it really easy to see. I prefer to use the remote for inputting addresses etc. Using the controls on the unit itself can be tedious and slow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts