Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace both my Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter.

I looked at prices and found K&N to be much more expensive than regular filters and some people saying that they are not worth the money.

Anyone has K&N Engine and Cabin Air filters and are they worth the difference in the money?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
They're more expensive AND do a worse job filtering small particulates... it's a lose-lose!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does that apply for both the engine and cabin air filters?

And if K&N is no good, which brand would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
K&n is fine for the cabin filter... I just use Purolator for air filters on my car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you looking for performance or to just replace the filter? I noticed a decent gain in noise and torque when I trimmed my airbox down and put a cone filter on it. Just buy a cheap filter for cabin air, don't waste your time on a K&N cabin filter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you looking for performance or to just replace the filter? I noticed a decemt gain in noise and torque when I trimmed my airbox down and put a cone filter on it. Just buy a cheap folter for cabin air, don't waste your time on a K&N cabin filter.

Can you please post a picture of how it looks? Im looking to replace my air filter. Whats the effect of the cone air filter on your mpg?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I unfortunately don't have any pictures from when I had it together because I am getting ready to boost it, but I will try and get it put back together tomorrow and get a picture for you. I lost maybe a mpg? I was still getting 38-40mpg pretty consistently. Essentially what I did was took the top of the filter air box and trimmed out everything but the little velocity stack inlet it has, put a 90° bend off the throttle body to the maf and that inlet, then put a cone filter on there. Worked pretty well for me.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Having participated in the motorcycle race community for a few years, I was surprised to find that the best tuners (the ones that could build engines and tune them with a Power commander for optimal power) ALWAYS used the stock filters due to their all-round best performance.

After testing both ways, they determined the increased initial flow and slight increase in power was NOT worth the increased ingestion of particulates (an issue in AZ) and required frequent cleaning and oiling to maintain that higher flow.

Lastly, the variability associated with the cleaning and oiling process is substantial. Too much oil on the filter, and you have very little flow improvement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh! Forgot to mention, the tape makes it look janky, but its because I lost one of the screws for the MAF and I haven't found a replacement for it yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still did not replace my air and cabin filters and both are over due now.
I guess I will not be buying K&N filters after reading some of the replies on this post. I thought K&N would be more economical in the long run and that it would improve a little performance but at the same time, it is more expensive and seems to be not worth it.

Thank you guys for all the replies and information.
It is nice to get good info on a good forum. I have such a hard time with searching on Google as anybody can write anything online and I get so many contradictory info, it drives me crazy...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If you replace the cabin air filter you need to access it by dropping the dashboard storage lid..
Make sure you detach the damper hook on the outside right of that. It is plastic and may break if you apply too much force (it lifts up, rotating upward on its back spindle).
I did not get it at first and broke it by pulling hard. :(

Use OEM filters - replace all fluids too (you wrote it has no known service history; assume the worst). A good service does more for power than an aftermarket filter.
The (8, and expensive) spark plugs however are almost indestructible. If the 4 that are accessible look right you might not need to replace them.
They are to be replaced at 120,000 km by Honda's maintenance guidelines, but often look about new then.

·
Skip
84 Posts
Hi Motta.....

Your question on use of K & N oil filter, cabin air filter.

I have a 1st generation Insight, but feel no "big" difference as far as oil & cabin air filter use.

The only advantage using the K & N oil filter is having the removal/install nut mounted on bottom of the oil filter. K & N makes both types with or without the remove/install nut.

The K & N oil filter with the remove/install nut can make it easier sometimes over using the normal oil remove/install tools.

Other than easier remove/install....no other advantage. I feel other name brand oil filters quality (as FRAM, Purolator, etc) are great oil filters.

As you mentioned, super big disadvantage is the K & N oil filter cost....which I feel is not worth the extra money if the oil filter is difficult to access & remove/install.

As to the cabin air filter, I have never used a K & N cabin air filter. Currently, installed is a WIX. So-far no problem with the WIX.

Skip

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks RedDevil for the instructions for the cabin air filter, I also found this video on youtube:

I hope the spark plugs are still good, I am at 187000 km now. Dealer quoted me almost $400 CAN for spark plugs replacement and with the back ones, it looks not too easy to do the job myself.

Skip, I was referring to the K&N air and cabin filter not the oil filter. For the oil changes so far, I went to Costco as they offered the best price for $49.99 CAN. Not sure what oil filter they use but I am due soon and will ask them. I know what you mean about the nut on the K&N oil filters. I used to change the oil on my last car and would use a torque wrench to tighten it back as I have a tendency to over tighten things too much.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts