Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LHT Performance proudly presents the first real K20 Insight we named “K-Sight”

This project has been under wraps for the last 4 months but is now ready and on it’s way to the NOPI Nationals in Atlanta.

The object was to build this and as OEM as possible, Meaning it’s not a stripped out race car.

We have tried to cover every angel possible so make this a real streetcar. It has AC (Factory climate control), Power steering (Factory electric), ABS, S2000 cluster (100% operating), upgraded braking and suspension and a much stiffer chassis.

We stiffened the whole car by welding extra braces, as well as building a complete sub frame, which ties the whole front together, and course the whole thing is aluminum.
The mounts are Honda OEM mounts from various Honda Vehicles so the car is very smooth with no teeth chattering. In fact you can’t feel it idle in the driver seat.

Now for numbers, with very little tuning the car is making over 200whp with a very quiet exhaust and tied with a JDM 6 speed transmission accelerates like a rocket. The car feels very tight and has great feel due the extra bracing and a custom alignment.

For the gas mileage folks, so far with very little tuning the car has averaged 48mpg with about 60% highway and the rest stop and go. This includes the 7 runs on the dyno. I’m confidant it will break 55+mpg once tuned. With the ability of the Hondata K-Pro we have had the car at 19-1 AF ratio with 40 degree of advance with no issues.

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Hondata,
Import auto Salvage,
Drive shaft shop,
NOPI,
Clutch masters,
Autoway Honda,
Superior auto body,

Special thanks the people behind the scenes.

Steve M He made this possible, I can safely say the best wiring guy on the planet
Jack P. The engine bay paint, wheels and attention to detail.
My Wife, For letting me work till past midnight many, many nights!

Pics link

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k231/ ... ightWM.jpg

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k231/ ... ghtWM3.jpg

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k231/ ... ghtWM4.jpg

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k231/ ... ghtWM2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,609 Posts
Great job, I knew it could be done.

Quality work and sound reasoning.

Definately a "SLEEPER".
A REAL ROCKET that could easily top my 58.5 LMPG.
Good luck..............Hope to see it when I get to Tampa in January.

Willie :D

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Sounds cool, but.... What's the plan for selling them? Does someone have to donate their own car for modification? What's your price target?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Niiice! Looks like it could dust quite a few "performance" models and outperform almost anything in the MPG department too! Anyone have a spare chassis? :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have to admit that is sweet. Please please please show a picture of the S2000 cluster in the car!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Drool......

More details please! 0-60 time? Larger tyres? Final BHP after tuning & rolling road?

Your hard work is definitely worth it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hmm, I just priced K20A engines and transmissions, and I have to realign my hopes and aspirations, a bit. :cry: I'm still looking for the first documented D15 or D16 swap into an Insight. 125hp and a little more useable torque, with shorter gearing than the Insight, will do fine for me. Great project, though, and a beauty. - Pat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where'd the old Insight powertrain go?

If you can figure out how to fit it in an S2000 or del Sol, I'd love to see how it works out...yeah they're a lot heavier. I can deal with slow, but I wonder what would happen to the mpg. Sigh. It would probably drop enough to not be an interesting project.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kinds words guys. The car just completed a 1300+ mile round trip as we showed it at the NOPI nationals.
The car ran fantasitc , best MPG was 49MPG but we ran 85mph + the whole way. I did run it upto 140mph and got it on Video too.

I will post more details later, I'm very tired from the show as not much sleep was on the menu.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Up front we're running some RSX tein coilovers with custom pillar balls .
The back runs stock springs with custom shocks and a custom torsion bar we built.
The car rides very well and has very little sway, I'm waiting for my camera to charge and I'll post some more pics.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I'm really interested in the suspension, any chance of sending me some details so I can try to source something suitable please?

I am competing in Auto Solos & need to shave a second or so off my best time.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
K-Sight said:
Up front we're running some RSX tein coilovers with custom pillar balls .
I think this may be the answer to the camber adjustment.

Intead of camber bolts, use adjustable pillar balls, forgot the front was a MacPherson strut arrangement, used to the old Minis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do plan on changing the rear shocks when I find some to work, I used Ground control adjustable springs and built a torsion bar and it seems to work really well. It has almost zero roll in the back just needs to be firmer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow - interesting. I haven't been on the forum for quite some time and just happened to find this thread.

I've got the K20 stock in my RSX Type S. That should be one CRAZY engine in an Insight.

I'm curious if you've ever talked with Hondata / Kpro about your efficiency? I have a Kpro in my RSX - mainly to tune for the turbo and E85 fuel. I, too, have found that by running a little to the lean side of stoic especially during part throttle cruise and advancing the intake cam, there is some efficiency to be gained. The bad side is that to run lean at part throttle you have to turn off closed loop operation for most of the engine load range.

I've posted a couple of times on the Hondata forum to see if they could add some parameters to the open / closed loop settings. Right now, it is just based on manifold vacuum, it would be really nice to see it based on upper/lower RPM limits as well as upper / lower vacuum settings, plus maybe intake cam settings.

What I'd like to do is run closed loop for idling and running up through the gears until I hit a steady state light throttle cruise, then switch into lean burn, just like the Insight. Unfortunately, the Hondata guys say it is impossible for their system to control closed loop to anything other than 14.7:1 AFR - so it looks like the next best thing would be to break into open loop and lean out the mix. Once the conditions exceed either the RPM limits or engine load (vacuum) limits, you'd be back in closed loop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
good stuff man! You beat me by about 1 year. I am planning on putting a K-series in my Insight as well. By the way what front spindles or strunts did u use? Looks like EP hubs to me. Anyway great build. You need to take it to the track and get some timeslips. It should get into the high 12's easy. Also did you weigh the car with the k20 in there?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts