Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips or any products you guys use to keep the dashboard clean and shiny? I'm trying to keep the inside from fading away... or just some good cleaning products in general?

I have the windows tinted to 35% which is legal limit here in TN

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't use a cleaing product for the dash but use a sun cover when parked. A dash carpet would be good too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The dash is painted plastic, so it won't fade. No need for a vinyl protectent cos it doesn't need it. Also, the dash is painted flat black for a reason. To prevent reflections on your windshield, so I wouldn't recommend putting something on it that would make it shiney.

I just wipe mine down with a cloth every so often to remove the dust.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Actually the dash isn't painted plastic but colored plastic. No different than any other car dash. And yes I agree, don't use stuff to make it shiney like Armor All, you want the dash flat not shiney.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx

Thanks guys..I'll just dust with a cloth. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
133 Posts
The low-E glass should reduce the need for UV protection, but it doesn't hurt to have more. I'm not aware of any other reason the plastic dash would not fade just like any other dash. I always use a sun shade, it's good for the dash and good for the batteries.

Armor All (and probably other brands) has a low-gloss version as well which looks good to me. Just be careful not to get much (if any) on the steering wheel, it's slippery stuff!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
A personal recommendation, you should be able to find Meguiar's #40 vinyl/ruber cleaner/conditioner at a local auto parts store. Apply and let sit for a few minutes then come back with a dry twoel and wipe up any excess. It will look natural, not glossy and smell great a the same time and add uv protection to it as well.

You can also use it on the steering wheel (and all other similar surfaces) to clean and protect it, but after wiping it off it won't have a slippery surface on it and it should help prevent (or at the least slow down) any discoloration caused by uv or acidic hands.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
upholstery

anyone know a good upholstery cleaner?
I think the tech that changed my oil had oil on his finger tips and grabed above the window on my insight on the inside. :evil:

·
Registered
334 Posts
anyone know a good upholstery cleaner?
I think the tech that changed my oil had oil on his finger tips and grabed above the window on my insight on the inside.
Take your car back to your dealership and make them clean it. They should if they are a respectable dealership. If they don't, take your business else where.

For upholstery cleaner, like your seats I'd recommend Whoolite upholstery cleaner. Make sure you have a wet/dry vac with you. It helps dry out the fabric. Also, clean the entire panel, cos instead of having a stain on your fabric you will now have a nice clean spot while the rest looks dingy. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thx

Thanks sparky, what is there to clean the lining, if they claim they didn't do it?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ooo, the headliner would be tricky. I've read you can use rubbing alcohol and a clean white cotton towel or "Resolve carpet cleaner."

I would want to test either on a hidden spot before attempting the cleaning. Maybe call up a detail place and ask what they would use or schedule an appointment?

Hope all works out.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
A good all purpose apholstrey cleaner ment for cars is Meguiar's Carpet and Interior cleaner. This stuff's awsome, the only stain I've found it won't remove is red icee's, which is like a permanent dye in itself anyways. Just get a couple towels, spray some on and wipe with the towel and the stain should transfer to the towel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx again

I'll try the carpet cleaner and give you guys some photos of before and after...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Good to know it worked well. In my last vehicle I had a genius friend spill a 64 oz Dr.Pepper that made it's way mostly to my door panel and the passenger side floor. It took 3 bottles, but that was the only thing that would get it out. Yuck!

BTW, pictures aren't linking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it helps to spell

I can finally spell comcast!....lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts