Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all again.
I believe that someone on one of these threads asked about a way of keeping Insights from becoming solar ovens in the summer. Since the battery pack's integrity is degraded by temp. extremes. I was wondering if a mod using a solar pannel with a small Nimh battery pack could be incorporated to power the heat/cool vent fan when the car is parked to maintain ambient temp in the cabin. This mod would be thermostat regulated, and the Nimh battery pack to be set up so that the car 12vdc system could recharge it while the car is running. While parked added dcv input from the dashboard mounted solar pannel could assist the fan and decrease the draw on the minor Nimh power supply. Bare in mind that I am not an engineer, so feel free to coment on my idea.

Saboeme

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
From what you wrote, you want an independant 12v pack. I would use 10 ni-mh "AA" size batteries. Energizers from Walmart are usually 2.1 AH.

You can connect the power to the 12v outlet plug wires. The current is cut while the key is not in. You add a diode to prevent the custom ni-mh pack to discharge into the 12V system and let the 12V system charge it as needed.

You can use like the previous tread, computer style fans. What I am not aware of is where to put the fan. It needs to either draw air into the cabin or move it out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
There is a small vent opening for the battery under the car. I saw it when I was removing the muffler but have not checked the manual on its purpose. It would be good to draw the air in from here so that the battery has direct cooling and leave a window cracked (Use ventshades to prevent rain from ruining anythin) to vent the hot air. Your idea on the small pack is a good one. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
700 Posts
Rick Reece said:
...(Use ventshades to prevent rain from ruining anythin) to vent the hot air...., RIck
Hey Rick, have you seen any that will fit the Insight?? I have looked around and haven't found any. I wish I could leave the windows cracked without worrying about rain, since it has been raining pretty much every day here...

Thanks

·
Registered
652 Posts
You can modify the ones for a Civic. ITs not a perfect fit but I would say at least 10 have gone this route. If they made some that were a custom fit I would change but until then I rely on the ventshades and tinting. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
652 Posts
They will need some triming but the part is:

(NAPA VENT VISOR #92602 for a 1995-00 CIVIC 2door made

by the VENTSHADE COMPANY).

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
For my mods, I just want the fans blasting as much as possible, and I don't worry about any temp sensors because as far as I am concerned on a sunny summer day it's ALWAYS going to be hot enough to want cooling.

The CA sun makes those fans crank!

I just got my 11 W panels in, but I haven't set them up. I now need to add more fans to use all the juice from the sun. That's a good problem to have.

In driving with the quad fan system, it seems to keep inside temps (with the AC off, fan on four bars) to 3-8 degrees above outside temps. Without the fans it just kept going up and up. When I sense it going beyond that, I'll also crack the windows, and between the fans, a little window cracking, and the four bars of Insight console fan, I have never come close to needing AC so far.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I like what you have done with the fans. If you collect old computer stuff you probably have seen the chrome plated wire finger guards used in some power supplies. It would look cool and would not significantly affect the air flow. I really think you have to remove the plastic grill somehow as that will certainly affect the air flow.

·
Registered
700 Posts
figgy said:
... it seems to keep inside temps (with the AC off, fan on four bars) to 3-8 degrees above outside temps. ....
3-8 degrees above 95 is HOT! And it's just a little humid here...
I miss So Cal for that one reason.

Since we seem to try to push the envelope here (some more than others...), perhaps we should try a contest to see who can tolerate the highest heat index (to even the field versus the "dry heat" out west) inside the car, without losing consciousness.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Rick Reece said:
They will need some triming but the part is:

(NAPA VENT VISOR #92602 for a 1995-00 CIVIC 2door made

by the VENTSHADE COMPANY).

Just a minor heads-up note:

A 95 Civic is a different body style (92-95). The ventshades for a 95 model will more than likely be even a worse fit than the 96-00 Civic, which requires some reshaping.

I also have a 00 Civic HX and after carefully looking at the required mod to make them work on the Insight, I installed them on the Civic instead.

HTH! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts