Honda Insight Forum banner

Keeping parked Insight cool on hot days

2158 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Insightful Trekker
Hello all again.
I believe that someone on one of these threads asked about a way of keeping Insights from becoming solar ovens in the summer. Since the battery pack's integrity is degraded by temp. extremes. I was wondering if a mod using a solar pannel with a small Nimh battery pack could be incorporated to power the heat/cool vent fan when the car is parked to maintain ambient temp in the cabin. This mod would be thermostat regulated, and the Nimh battery pack to be set up so that the car 12vdc system could recharge it while the car is running. While parked added dcv input from the dashboard mounted solar pannel could assist the fan and decrease the draw on the minor Nimh power supply. Bare in mind that I am not an engineer, so feel free to coment on my idea.

Saboeme
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
618 Posts
There is a small vent opening for the battery under the car. I saw it when I was removing the muffler but have not checked the manual on its purpose. It would be good to draw the air in from here so that the battery has direct cooling and leave a window cracked (Use ventshades to prevent rain from ruining anythin) to vent the hot air. Your idea on the small pack is a good one. Have fun, RIck

· Registered
618 Posts
You can modify the ones for a Civic. ITs not a perfect fit but I would say at least 10 have gone this route. If they made some that were a custom fit I would change but until then I rely on the ventshades and tinting. Have fun, RIck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.