Honda Insight Forum banner

Keeping parked Insight cool on hot days

2158 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Insightful Trekker
Hello all again.
I believe that someone on one of these threads asked about a way of keeping Insights from becoming solar ovens in the summer. Since the battery pack's integrity is degraded by temp. extremes. I was wondering if a mod using a solar pannel with a small Nimh battery pack could be incorporated to power the heat/cool vent fan when the car is parked to maintain ambient temp in the cabin. This mod would be thermostat regulated, and the Nimh battery pack to be set up so that the car 12vdc system could recharge it while the car is running. While parked added dcv input from the dashboard mounted solar pannel could assist the fan and decrease the draw on the minor Nimh power supply. Bare in mind that I am not an engineer, so feel free to coment on my idea.

Saboeme
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
595 Posts
For my mods, I just want the fans blasting as much as possible, and I don't worry about any temp sensors because as far as I am concerned on a sunny summer day it's ALWAYS going to be hot enough to want cooling.

The CA sun makes those fans crank!

I just got my 11 W panels in, but I haven't set them up. I now need to add more fans to use all the juice from the sun. That's a good problem to have.

In driving with the quad fan system, it seems to keep inside temps (with the AC off, fan on four bars) to 3-8 degrees above outside temps. Without the fans it just kept going up and up. When I sense it going beyond that, I'll also crack the windows, and between the fans, a little window cracking, and the four bars of Insight console fan, I have never come close to needing AC so far.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.