Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a short review of the Kenwood KCS-SW11 powered subwoofer in a 2000-2006 Honda Insight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the review! Always nice to know how things fit into our cars. I'm a live sound tech, and hopping in my gf's insight for road trips is a painful experience.

A few questions, if you don't mind:

That 100db in-car sensivity can't really be compared to anything else - its meant to be a measure of how much noise you get for power input, but that's not mentioned here. Is it the driver+enclosure combo at 1w1m? 1.83v? Something else entirely? With that in mind, does it play loud enough to fill in properly when the mains are at fill-tilt?

You also mention that you don't need to wire to the battery - how does that work? Where does it get its power? The manual states to connect to the car fusebox...

The driver is an 8.25"x5.13" driver, translating to a maximum driver area of 42.28 sqin, compared to 33.18 sqin for a 6.5" speaker or 50.27 sqin for an 8" sub. How does this compare to simply upping the bass on your head unit without the sub installed?

How does it sound to your ear? Your review is almost entirely about the fit.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're welcome! Fitment was my main purpose for the review as there are plenty of actual audio reviews of this sub and that is primarily why I gave it a go.

I have no idea how Kenwood came up with 110db in car. I just know based on the size, the bass it puts out is more than I anticipated and is one of the best in compact budget subwoofers. This model got the highest sensitivity at 110db so comparatively, I assumed it needed less power for a higher volume. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a small and budget subwoofer that is easy to install.

I knew it wasn't a power hungry amp because it is powered through a standard 16-18ga wire harness. It does not need to connect directly to the 12v battery with 10 or 8ga wire, but instead you can tap off from your 12v yellow line from the head unit and tap the ACC from the head unit as well. As for the ground, I used the same ground as the head unit.

I think it delivers the bass that is missing, but doesn't reach super low bass. It's definitely better than just the upgraded 4 6.5" speakers. It really fills where the 6.5" speakers just can't reach. For as compact as it is, it can pack a very good punch. I'm very pleased with it for the added bass. I was surprised to see my rear view mirror vibrate from the bass it delivers. If you are not a total bass junkie, I think you would be happy with this unit. The space issue was one of the main reasons I purchased it and it fit under the seat with out any problems and also satisfied my ears with some lower frequency.

Hopefully that helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts