Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Insight remote is 3 button...lock, unlock and panic. My understanding is that any Honda remote with the same ID#s on them will work. However, most of what I see are 4 button remotes...lock, unlock, panic and trunk releasee. With this being said, has anyone tried a 4 button remote and found that the trunk release button will in fact "pop" the rear hatch of the Insight? Curious minds would like to know.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i dont think that the 4th button will do anything for an insight, but i think it will work

i would like to know, as my remote just got run over(fell off my keychain in the middle of the street)...also, anyone able to find a good price on a replacement one...and does anyone know if there is a way to program a new one w/o having the old one?

(dont mean to hijack the thread, just figured these questions all went together)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The old remote is handy, even if not functional, in order to know what the ID numbers are for it...so that you can be sure any replacement remote matches and will work once programmed. I found the instructions for programming ones remote...which does NOT require one to have a remote to start with (however, the vehicle must have remote entry capability). I'll try and locate those instructions again on the WWW and if I'm successful, I'll post the thread here.

·
Registered
702 Posts
thanks...the problem is the remote was in 100 pieces in the middle of a busy street :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
My remote for my 2001 Insight only has 3 buttons, On, Off and Panic. The back label has pelled off and I can't seem to locate the FCC ID. I was told that all Insights are the same and then I purchased the 4 button, On, Off, Truck and Panic one with FCC E4EG8DJ which has been mentioned by many uses. It does not work and I found out there are 2 different remotes. The 4 button one is the Dealer Installed security system one. Can anyone verify the FCC code for the Factory installed Keyless Entry system remote, Honda Part number 72147-s3y-a01? I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
markw said:
try viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7467&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=remote
If the link doesn't work do a search for "remote"
Thanks markw, The link worked but there is no information on the 3 button remote. All the links and references take you to the information on DEALER Installed Remote System. My car has the factory ( 3 button remote ) and not the Delaer Installed Remote ( 4 button ). Just trying to get the FCC Code verified that is on the back of the 3 Button remote. I'm getting mixed answers and just need to see if the the FCC Codes are different as some folks are saying.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
The back label for both "00 and '01 manual transmission 3 button remotes read as follows:

P/N SET 35011-KA.Tx 72147-KA
FCC ID: E4EG8DJ
CANADA 850 102 302/210
G8D-425H-A

OMRON Corporation JAPAN

Hope this is what you're looking for

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Again for the quick response. It then appears the 3 button and 4 button remotes used on the Honda Insight have identical back label information. The honda Part number for the 3 Button remote is 72147-S3Y-A01 and 4 button remote is 08E61-S01-100.

markw said:
The back label for both "00 and '01 manual transmission 3 button remotes read as follows:

P/N SET 35011-KA.Tx 72147-KA
FCC ID: E4EG8DJ
CANADA 850 102 302/210
G8D-425H-A

OMRON Corporation JAPAN

Hope this is what you're looking for

Mark

·
Registered
527 Posts
That was my old thread! Yes, the remote has to have the FCC ID #E4EG8DJ to be correct, but it has to be programmed to your car to work. I went to ebay motors, under parts and accesories, punched in the E4EG8DJ in the search bar, clicked search title and descriptions button, then the search button. I came up with evey honda remote available with that correct frquency. I bought 4 (as I had 2 insights at the time with no remotes,) and programmed them myself in a couple minutes. They were all used remotes, but paid between $4 and $10 each. 2 of them had photocopied 1 page instructions on how to program them. If you get one without the instructions, PM me and I can walk you through it!
Chris

·
Registered
702 Posts
thats amazing! my dealer wants $65 for one!!! i never got one, since i figured opening the door manually was worth $65...but for $4-10, i might have to get one

cant find any used on ebay, but their still only like $20 with shipping

·
Hybrid Technologist
313 Posts
On all my other cars, I can push the remote to lock the doors with a door open, and then close the door.

On my 2000 MT Insight I cannot lock the doors with a door open.
This is frustrating, in cases where I have large objects, or my dog to remove which takes two hands.

I would like to lock the doors, then close them.

Is there a way to program the car to do this???

TIA,
-John

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Not that I have found, and this is frustrating to me as well... :evil:

Come to think of it, though... Back in the day of manual locks, you could pull and hold the door handle inside the door on a Honda, push in the lock button while the handle was out, release the handle, and slam the door shut. The door would remain locked, just like on domestic cars. That was über-handy, and many, many Honda owners never knew they could do it that way. I guess I'll have to go out and see if that trick still works on our powered Insight locks... or you could save me the loooong walk to the parking lot and report before I have a chance to... :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
boogetyboogety said:
Not that I have found, and this is frustrating to me as well... :evil:

Come to think of it, though... Back in the day of manual locks, you could pull and hold the door handle inside the door on a Honda, push in the lock button while the handle was out, release the handle, and slam the door shut. The door would remain locked, just like on domestic cars. That was über-handy, and many, many Honda owners never knew they could do it that way. I guess I'll have to go out and see if that trick still works on our powered Insight locks... or you could save me the loooong walk to the parking lot and report before I have a chance to... :D
Hello,
Yes, that works. It locks both doors and the hatchback.

-Mike (new Insight owner - new member here - first post here)

·
Registered
702 Posts
yes, just like in my 1st car(91 civic)...pulling the front door handle while pushing the lock works...since my remote broke...i just pull the handle w/ a couple fingers and push the auto lock button with my index finger as i get out of the car :)

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I put this part number into many of the key fob after market sites.

72147-S3Y-A0

Some produce a resulting fob. But then the sites suggest that I check compatibility with their configurator and it s says the part number is not compatible with my Gen 1 insight.

What gives?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts