Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured this deserved a mention since the search function didn't find me many definitive results for how to program my Gen2. Even our service manual states you have to use the HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) to program our remotes. FALSE!

Apologies if this is duplicate information, but I wanted to share my success and hopefully get an easily searchable result entered into the search engine.

I used this procedure for my 2010 (gen2) tonight, and it worked fine for all 3 remotes I ordered from China. Don't worry that the pictures are of a Gen1 remote, it still works with our newer ones.

How to program a Honda keyless entry remote | eHow

Main advice- do the ignition 3 on/off's FAST!

Summary:
Ignition On, push LOCK on remote, ignition off,
All within 5 seconds.
Ignition On, push lock on all remotes to be programmed,hear the locks cycle when each is detected for verification.
Ignition off
Done!

These are the remote/key blanks I used, and all work perfectly for the remote functions. Going to a locksmith tomorrow to have them cut and sync up the immobilizer chips :
3 BTN Key Fob Remote Keyless Entry For Honda MLBHLIK-1T CRV Accord Replacement | eBay Under $13 a piece. Just blank keys with immobilizer chips embedded are $45-65 at our local hardware store.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Great info Striider. I'm not clear, does this key FOB work in the Gen 1? And this programming activates the car's immobilizer function too? All that's needed is the key cut to have a 100% fully functional FOB and immobilizer?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
These key blanks are for a Gen2. I do not know if the fob part works on a Gen1, maybe I will test it someday. All I was saying is that the PROCEDURE for programming the remote is the same.

Furthermore, I DO NOT RECOMMEND this particular seller for these keys. The metal blade for the key is too thick and too wide (piss poor quality control). The locksmith I used here in Denver was amazing and made 2 out of 3 of them work by grinding them down to the correct dimensions, and got the immobilizer chips programmed successfully. The third blank slipped in the vice and was ruined, so I will cut the metal off and use it for a spare fob only. I am glad I ordered 3 and had a patient locksmith luckily willing to touch Chinese blanks. They were hesitant since I didn't buy the blanks from them, and now I see why.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The procedure outlined above is the one Honda has used for years to program keyless entry fobs. For the 2nd gen Insights, the keyless entry buttons are built into the key.

The immobilizer is another story. That is not dyi. You must have that done either by a dealer or use a locksmith with the equipment to clone the key. It is very important to have a spare key for vehicles with immobilizer technology. If you loose the only key you have, only a dealer can program new keys and that is very expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts