1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Beating the EPA - The Why’s and How to Hypermile

Exceptional mileage there. I note it's "driven by hypermilers Wayne Gerdes of Carlsbad, California, and co-driver Robert Winger of Williamsburg, Virginia."
Wayne Gerdes is the man who coined the term "Hypermiler" on cleanmpg.com.

The thread http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/mpg-issues/64242-expert-advice-pulse-glide.html#post716418 has more great links on 'how to'.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The insight was the only economical car Wayne owned.

In any event the Niro is likely similar to a Prius in that the best MPGs are all slow speed.

When the Ioniq twin comes over in April we will get a real taste of what this does in an efficient body.

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I followed Wayne's blog a few years ago as he journaled his sea-to-shining sea trip on two tanks of gas in a new Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.
It was a nail biter. He averaged 62 mpg driving from California to the Georgia coast. He also used highways.

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
You can read the whole ordeal at CleanMPG
Very good story.
His login is xcel.........IIRR.

He lives in Carlsbad Ca. now.

Willie

·
Banned
2 Posts
Car sounds like it's doing great in terms of fuel economy, but what about in terms of performance? There are a lot of crossovers in the same category as the Niro out there. Perhaps not as sustainable and environmentally friendly, but there are a lot!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Surely that record can be bested by a driver in an Insight. No?

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
Randell and his crew did it, not cross country, but with a single tank of gas.
Can't find the link right now.

Willie.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I saw this CUV on a commercial and read the MPG. I was like, wait a minute. Had to look it up their website to find out that it was a hybrid. Interesting package for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts