Honda Insight Forum banner

Knock Sensor Substitution?

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  CITRUS 95060 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has found sensors other than the OEM #30530-PHM-003 effective for our G1 Insights? Thanks very much for any information.

#5 ·
The knock sensor for the Insight has PHM inside its honda part number, meaning honda created it FOR the insight.

Stick with sensors made for the Insight.

The sensors from Rockauto are generally good.

NTK ID0148 can be found on amazon and ebay at times, and is pretty much always a great brand to choose.

#7 ·
I agree that a new OEM sensor from Honda is so expensive(even more of a sticker shock than many other OEM Honda parts) that it makes me a consider that there may be an affordable alternative. Need to clear a P0325 and want the car to run properly. I am hoping that the NTK comes up on Amazon or RA, but may be able to obtain a used one. The old one has come apart and doesn't look repairable. I was hoping to hear that another KS(such as the S2000/Civic KS) would substitute. I may try one and see. There are EGR substitutions, so it's possible. Thanks very much for input from all.

#10 ·
Knock sensors are "frequency" sensitive. Maybe one for a GEO metro is similar? (3 cyl)

#15 ·
Oem and NTK are the only sensible repalcements. Anything else, while it might be made in the same facility (which is why so many brands share similar part numbers, for example), the quality control differs greatly in some cases.

Ignition coils, for example. I bought 3 duralast branded coils for my Insight while troubleshooting a random misfire when the engine was warmed up. Nothing but trouble, heck, it ran WORSE.

Grabbed the three from a donor Insight engine, likely older or even original ignition coils, engine was SUPER happy.

While the price does not always seem great, understand that critical sensors can technically be whatever price they want to charge, they will still sell.

So roughly $200 for a guaranteed perfect sensor is not out of the norm of sensibility!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.