Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did somebody une an aftermarket knock sensor instead of the OEM one?
RockAuto gave couple of aftermarket one.

I’ve got the CEL for knock sensor and when I read that you have to remove the intake manifold to reach it, I said to me it will wait! But my mpg is very bad.
I check and the plastic part was pop out of the steel part.
I was able to remove it with an articulated ratchet head & 24mm socket.

Look at the bad boy!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
320 Posts
NO! I got autozone the lifetime warrantied one. I think you’ll need to bite the bullet. Btw, take off that manifold, I know it’s a PITD, and clean your egr plate. You’ll notice a huge bump in mpg. Mine went up by 8mpg, actually more, before I could barely get 51mpg IF I feathered the gas pedal and blew on the windshield. After I could get over 63 with Cvt. If you have less than smooth idle I’d bet that’s one of the main reasons why. Don’t buy aftermarket, it’s useless. You will be popping codes all the time. I don’t think there will be one to work. By would they make something that actually works as oem when there are only a handful of these engines left?

·
Administrator
11,451 Posts
Whatever you get remember it's extremely fragile.
Make sure you have unfettered access. So do what Sax suggests.
Look at it the wrong way and it will break off.
Strengthen the join between the plastic and metal. (I used epoxy glue to build it up on the outside.)
Look at the various knock sensor threads on here for ideas.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,476 Posts
If you do get an aftermarket one, monitor the timing and see what the readings are.
If they are similar to the OEM one, it is OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts