Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered my 200o Insight knock sensor broke (where plastic and metal connect). Do I have to purchase a $100. genuine Honda knock sensor, or are there cheaper alternatives out there that would work?
RRR

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,047 Posts
If it is "specific" for a G1, no problem.
They are frequency calibrated.

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I discovered my 200o Insight knock sensor broke (where plastic and metal connect). Do I have to purchase a $100. genuine Honda knock sensor, or are there cheaper alternatives out there that would work?
RRR
I'm now also in need of one. And this is a good question. The sensor at Advance Auto Parts is $93. With their $35 online coupon code, that makes their sensor $58 plus tax when I pick it up in the store. A savings of $42 over the Honda part would be enough for me to go aftermarket if I knew it would work. Having said that, this isn't an easy sensor to replace. And I don't want any error codes to follow my work. Hmm.

Willie, I'm a little confused by your reply. Are you saying that we should stick to OEM?

-Bryan

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,047 Posts
Nope, I was just pointing out that most knock sensors are frequency orientated.
I would go with an aftermarket as I am "Frugel".

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Thanks Willie. I think I'll give the Advance Auto Parts sensor a try, if nobody gives me a reason to stick with OEM on this. I probably can't swap it out before this coming weekend, anyway.

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I wanted to reply with an update to this thread. I put in a knock sensor purchased from Advance Auto Parts last night. 48 miles so far, and it is working great. I'll post again, if things change. But the CEL has not returned. It was $92. But I used a 35% off coupon found online which chopped $32 off the price, reducing it to $60 before shipping/taxes.

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
319 Posts
2nd datapoint for this particular brand knock sensor.

My son's 2006 CVT Insight was getting a CEL and P0325, which kept disabling the IMAC&C (it just kept on displaying "P0325" and we couldn't do anything else with it). Time for a new knock sensor.

Majestic had it for 122.07 + 8.26 shipping = $130.33. Then I came upon joeaax1j's 2014 post about a cheaper part and thought "why not".

After contacting joeaax1j who confirmed that his 5-year old Advance Auto Parts knock sensor was still working, I ordered one. The part number is Intermotor S8830, $90.99. I was able to get a 25% off coupon (floating around somewhere) and free shipping, my final total with tax came to $72.76

The old one is on the left, new one on the right. While on the car, the green portion of old knock sensor was intact and in place. But it was brittle and soon split apart.

I finished installing the new knock sensor today. The CEL disappeared immediately and the IMAC&C is now operable again! I drove it for around 10 miles and CEL has not come back.

A BIG THANK YOU to joeaax1j for saving me $57.57!

I will update my post in the coming days should the P0325 CEL return.

Edited: for grammar

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.