Honda Insight Forum banner

Knowledge bank question: CVT changes through model years?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  phb10186 
#1 · (Edited)
Im trying to arm myself with this info just in case I have to buy a used CVT at some point, and that's simply:

Do we know categorically if all CVT transmissions are the same through model years (and possibly all markets)?

Specific considerations from past experience:

1. Same part numbers don't always mean the same part (e.g. they make upgrades to improve, but part numbers are the same).

2. Different part numbers sometimes get used for identical parts.

So essentially I just want to know if:

- The facelift had a different CVT box
- Any variations through model years
- Any stupid things like coding required to ECU or other
- Any possible differences between wiring connections/ bracketry etc etc.
- Also wondering (and I know this isnt applicable to the US) - if the Jazz hybrid CVT is identical to the Insight.

Actually, the dealer told me the Jazz IMA and the Insight had some electrical or mechanical differences - but I was always under the impression that they were mechanically and electrically identical - but that's likely a minefield of information. I know the I2 was assembled in Japan, and the Jazz IMA in the UK... so it's possible.

You can never have too much info!

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you have just found yourself a research project :)

I and probably we as a group don't know (for the I2)
Sorry there just aren't that many I2 enthusiasts out there..

The Helm Honda workshop manual for the I2 (covering all the years) might give you some clues.

I doubt there are any differences in the cvt/etc from country to country.

I assume you would just buy a used one from a UK car of the same year to yours, there are loads of crashed ones about.

No idea about the Jazz.

#6 ·
I think you have just found yourself a research project :)
My null hypothesis is that there isn't a difference between I2 model variant years, but there may be a difference in the Jazz IMA.

No time to research this, ill address it if needed nearer the time if I have to visit a honda breakers.

#3 · (Edited)
AFAIK there were no changes to the CVT system.

I believe all Jazz Hybrids were made in Japan, just like the Insight. Swindon does produce Jazz manuals and CVTs but not the hybrid. One source claims even the regular CVT is Japanese.
Honda UK Jazz Press Kit says this:
The Jazz petrol models will be built at Honda’s manufacturing plant in Swindon alongside the Civic and CR-V while the hybrid variant will be produced in the Suzuka factory in Japan.
I know the Jazz Hybrid well - I wanted to buy one but got a sharp deal on a used but almost new Insight.
My dad did buy a Jazz Hybrid later on and so did my neighbor. It is an ideal car for pensioners; both in operation and access. My neighbor can carry his wife's folding wheelchair in the boot.

The engine, CVT and suspension etc. are said to be identical with the Insight; the Jazz has more leg room as the seats are higher.
The Jazz does feel more lively; more than only the weight difference can explain. As if it is 150 kilos lighter, not the actual 40.
I suspect the engine is tuned for more power.
If you think your Insight is fun to drive don't set foot aboard a Jazz IMA ;)

The interior is different as the whole body is different, also some parts and displays were designed differently. The lay-out matches close to the Insight though and functionally it is identical.

I still cannot get why Honda decided not to export the Honda Fit Shuttle Hybrid...

That would have easily outsold all other Honda hybrids combined in Holland. It would have hurt Prius sales quite some.

#5 ·
AFAIK there were no changes to the CVT system.

I believe all Jazz Hybrids were made in Japan, just like the Insight. Swindon does produce Jazz manuals and CVTs but not the hybrid. One source claims even the regular CVT is Japanese.
Honda UK Jazz Press Kit says this:

I know the Jazz Hybrid well - I wanted to buy one but got a sharp deal on a used but almost new Insight.
My dad did buy a Jazz Hybrid later on and so did my neighbor. It is an ideal car for pensioners; both in operation and access. My neighbor can carry his wife's folding wheelchair in the boot.

The engine, CVT and suspension etc. are said to be identical with the Insight; the Jazz has more leg room as the seats are higher.
The Jazz does feel more lively; more than only the weight difference can explain. As if it is 150 kilos lighter, not the actual 40.
I suspect the engine is tuned for more power.
If you think your Insight is fun to drive don't set foot aboard a Jazz IMA ;)

The interior is different as the whole body is different, also some parts and displays were designed differently. The lay-out matches close to the Insight though and functionally it is identical.

I still cannot get why Honda decided not to export the Honda Fit Shuttle Hybrid...

That would have easily outsold all other Honda hybrids combined in Holland. It would have hurt Prius sales quite some.
Eh... thought the Jazz IMA was UK built too. +1 on the drive, it feels much sportier than the I2 when I drove one too - almost like a 'warm hatch'... much better, smoother as well.

Also agree, I would have bought a Jazz IMA shuttle in pref to the I2 as well, why they didnt sell it is anyone's guess, as its super useful.

#4 ·
I was going to suggest looking up the CVT on one of the few Honda dealer sites that sell parts online. (Many here in the US sell accessories & maintenance items, but not parts) that does not work because there did not seem to be any listing for the entire transmission, only 5 or six sections with various parts to rebuild one. So no way to compare if there were differences in model years.

#7 ·
For the UK spec Japan built Right Hand drive Insight:

The pre-facelift cars all have the same gearbox

The face-lift cars have a different gearbox (extra speed sensors), not compatible with ECU on the pre's, or vice verse.

The Jazz Hybrid has a completely different gearbox to all the Insights, but were the same through model years.

Hope that helps the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.