Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm considering a 2013 Insight. A dealership near me has four of them they've apparently been sitting on since 2012. I'm wondering if you folks can help me with a few things.

1.) Are there any known problems with the 2013 model in particular or this generation in general that should give me pause? (new transmission for this year that grenades at 50k miles/ carcinogenic Chinese drywall in the interior/ tsunami fallout)

2.) Are there known issues with these cars specifically? Any reason that everyone has passed on them like unreported flood damage? 3/4 have good carfaxes and one they haven't paid for. Might be an honest mistake by someone in the dealership, might be sketchy. (I tried to link them, but I'm too new for the forum to let me)

3.) Any known issues with Insights that have sat for this long? I don't know much about the Insight or hybrids in general, does the battery need to be cycled regularly to maintain the ability to hold a charge?

4.) Anything I should be on the lookout for when shopping these four? All four are right around the same price. It looks like the EX is the way to go for a few features like heated mirrors and nicer wheels and the possibility of a nav system.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized because my links dont work the questions about these specifically don't make much sense. These are for sale at Greico Honda (formerly Metro) in Johnston, RI.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Are there any known problems with the 2013 model
One:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/troubleshooting-problems/78194-airbag-recall-insights-up-2012-affected.html
Two:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/troubleshooting-problems/78154-year-miles-oil-consumption.html
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/troubleshooting-problems/42705-anybody-burning-oil.html
Are there known issues with these cars specifically?
Check that all routine maintenance was performed by dealer (сheck the service book). Especially the condition of the 12v battery and replace the CVTF-fluid.

does the battery need to be cycled regularly to maintain the ability to hold a charge?
If a little to drive, it is recommended once a week to charge fully the battery-pack (using the mode of transmission P and above 2000 rpm).
The Honda hybrids do not like long idle time, the batteries degrade

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We have had a couple of folks buy Insights that sat around. While it takes awhile, the IMA battery packs do seem to revive. The other battery advise pertains to the regular 12 volt battery under the hood. They seem to need replacing a little more often than regular vehicles. When they get weak, the Insight will start throwing codes and acting like major things are wrong. But really that battery powers the electronics that control the IMA system and a new one will clear things up. I think you are at an advantage here because the Insights are at a Honda dealer. THey may have a way to connect the Insight to the computer in the service area and check the health of the IMA. But the biggest issue with 2012-2013 Insights is the "experimental" piston rings Honda used. The good news is that they have admitted the issue and extended the warranty.

Indeed an EX is preferred, if nothing else, having a USB input would be worth it.
Do not pay a premium for the NAV, it's kind of meh. Although I guess the one in the later model years does do traffic. The unit in the 2010-2011 was obsolete when they put it in...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Oh, about the airbags, a Honda dealer in the US would not be able to sell a used Honda with an outstanding recall. It has most certainly been done on all of them.
If you buy from a private party or a differently branded dealer, you should have a Honda dealer check the VIN for open recalls.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi guys, I'm considering a 2013 Insight. A dealership near me has four of them they've apparently been sitting on since 2012. I'm wondering if you folks can help me with a few things.

So are these new? Since they are 2013 sitting since 2012, I'll assume so.

You will get an 8 year unlimited miles warranty on the engine. Many have had oil burning problems starting around 60,000 miles so Honda extended the warranty. If new you will get the regular warranty starting from date of purchase.

The CVT requires fluid changes but that is all CVTs. The 12V batteries don't last too long. Other than that, I'd say the cars are reliable and tend to get more mpg than the sticker says.

The resale value is not high. Getting a low starting price should help that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is there any way to check the battery's quality?
Ask the dealer report IMA-system of diagnostic programs.
For example in Honda Diagnostic System, like this:

The report should indicate the voltage of each cell elements, and the variances between them should not be.

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,431 Posts
Wow, $12K for a 2013 EX with just under 10K miles. That's incredible.

Makes me wonder why Honda is choosing now to revive the Insight when there's literally no demand for compact hybrids. They ought to wait until gas gets more expensive again. Or when consumers stop exclusively wanting F-150's and Explorers. (AKA never :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wow, $12K for a 2013 EX with just under 10K miles. That's incredible.

Makes me wonder why Honda is choosing now to revive the Insight when there's literally no demand for compact hybrids. They ought to wait until gas gets more expensive again. Or when consumers stop exclusively wanting F-150's and Explorers. (AKA never :rolleyes:)
I was wondering the exact same thing, AND it's a boring makeover of another boring car. It's like they WANT to lose money...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts