Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Insight in to the local Honda service center and they have informed me that the "Check Engine Light" is being caused by error code 1164. They have advised me that the O2 sensor needs to be replaced and they'll be happy to do it for $386 + tax.

I have searched through existing forum topics for information related to the replacement of the LAF Sensor, and from what I gathered there is no 3rd party sensor available and must be a Honda part. (Those that did try a 3rd party sensor, found out that it wasn't the right part.)

thehondapartsstore.com (part # 36531-PHM-A01) has it listed for $210.63.

Has anyone purchased this part from them?
Are there any other less expensive options?
How easy is it to replace? (From what I saw under the hood, it looks pretty straight forward.)

Thanks in advance for your timely answer,

Ajay

2000 Insight, 5 Speed, 61k, Lifetime 67 MPG.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
ajay said:
thehondapartsstore.com (part # 36531-PHM-A01) has it listed for $210.63.

Has anyone purchased this part from them?
Are there any other less expensive options?
How easy is it to replace? (From what I saw under the hood, it looks pretty straight forward.)
Hi ajay and welcome to the forum :!: :)

Yes
No
Easy

Reads like you've done all the work except purchase and replacement. ;)

IIRC there may be an aftermarket replacement available for the 00-early 01's that is equivalent (BIG :?: ) to the older Civic VX's that also used a LAF type sensor. One member in here had some "inside" track connections and sold a couple for $160-170ish :?: But there was quite a bit of confusion as to some of the specifics. Other members report no success with finding a lower cost "equivalent" choice. Caveat emptor (Latin: Buyer Beware).

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
How often?

If you have your own tool to read and reset, you might try a few cycles of reset before you give up entirely.

If you can drive 800 miles before it flags again, and then another 800 miles and reset it again, maybe it is worth just resetting every 800 miles.

If it is really busted and not working, you have to replace it. If it is just showing some wear and tear and you can go what you think is a good distance before it codes again, I recommend waiting on replacement.

I would say if you can go a whole tank before any problems, that's a good reason to wait.

If it really is not working, then it will code right away as soon as you reset. If it just gives an unreliable reading every so often and very infrequently, then nothing bad will happen if you wait until it gets worse. Seems that way to me, anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Personally I'd use more caution. LAF type O2 sensors are known (and reported and verified in the forums) to _NOT_ always correctly "code".

In one particular case is appears that this condition _caused_ a subsequent CAT failure ($1,200 +) :shock:

So while some failures may malinger in a relatively "good" zone, _IF_ its is drifting into the CAT "stress" zone and _NOT_ coding then IMO your being penny wise and pound foolish :!: ;) There's no way to "know" short of continously monitoring the O2 output with a scope. Not something that is easy or low cost (unless you've already got the scope and know-how).

Replace the sensor.

HTH ! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a follow-up to my original post, I took the O2 sensor out and blew air through the holes in the sensor, then re-installed it. Reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, then I drove about 400 miles before the Check Engine light came back on.

So...a friend of mine got me a good deal on the Bosch O2 Sensor (Pre-Catalyst, Part #15393)

So far so good, but I'll wait a couple thousand miles before I'll say it solved the problem.

I'll reply here once I am satisfied with the results. At least the Bosch part seems to be a good match since the car is operating normally.

Alan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ajay -

I replaced my sensor with a Bosch 15393 also, about 7000 miles ago, and no problems. My mpg is up significantly, in fact, but the weather is warmer too. I've only owned this car for a year. In fact, today is our anniversary!

- Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts