Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 2000 cvt has 20km (kilo-meters) on the clock. All of a sudden I have very limited assist (for only 10 seconds often) It also has started stalling at auto stop sometimes & will restart on the 12volt starter sometimes. The battery meter is staying almost at the top & not moving. It used to vary from 1/2 to almost full most the time.I have no Ima light showing (except at key turn on)and it hardly ever recals.I have tried a couple of forced recals but no good. I desided to monitor the 144 volt battery as I felt that the battery must be going "soft" or "weak" but was interested to note that the battery voltage does not fall below 150 volts even when the assist fades away going up hills.(you should not try this unless you know what you are doing with high voltage) I would be interested in any comments. Possible MCM fault?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Re: Lake of assist,stalls at auto stop.sometimes starts on 1

BLUEBUG said:
Hi

My 2000 cvt has 20km (kilo-meters) on the clock. All of a sudden I have very limited assist (for only 10 seconds often)
This was the failure mode when my LAF sensor died. If this is the case after driving a little while your CEL should illuminate.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
An IMA reset and thorough inspection of the main engine and battery ground (British: earth) straps would be 2 good starting points.

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... orage.html

JackMPG has a site with a pictorial on the ground straps here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/jackmpg

The dissimilar metals have been contributing to a connection problem. Disassemble them and clean the contact points to bare metal before reassembly. Then apply a good anti-oxidation coating. I used silicone grease, but there are some commercial products that were developed for aluminum wires used in power distribution too.

IMA battery voltage is not necessarily an accurate indicator of its load capacity.

Its possible that the MCM has failed but it reads more like IMA battery deterioration. :(

HTH! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts