Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've often thought that the Insight would look very cool with up-swinging doors. Last weekend I saw a car that had been modified so the doors opened like Lamborghini doors, swinging out to unlatch and then up. I stopped to ask who did his conversion and it turns out to be a local company. I've emailed them about the possibility of doing a kit, since their web site doesn't list the Insight (surprise). They seem to be respected for doing quality work, plus their kit can be removed to put the doors back to a stock out-swinging configuration. It's a bolt-on kit, and is owner installable. You can check them out at http://www.verticaldoors.com

I plan on paying them a visit and get a closer look at their work. I'm trying to convince them that the Insight would be an easier than average kit to engineer since the doors are light weight, and they could cover the entire 2000-2006 year range with just one style kit.

I've seen a few comments about these style doors here in the past, so I told them in my email I know of others who are also interested. The prices seems to be about $1600. I'm wondering how many of you would be interested. If there's enough, they might be swayed. In fact, if they get 10 orders they'll do a a custom kit, but I'm thinking that might be tough.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
While I do like the idea of more futuristic type of doors.... I would have to say that adding a Booster battery to be PHEV is were I would sooner spend $1,600 than on doors.... that being said... I don't have $800 to spend on such things... so it is all mute.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya. It is a lot of $$$. And from what I read on their web page, it's mostly a set of special hinges and a couple gas shocks. I'm reserving judgement as to whether it's worth it or not until I actually inspect a modified car, and try out the doors for myself.

They do look ultra cool though.. 8)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I googled Lambo style doors and found a Canadian company as well as a Turkish company, a second US company (LSD), and a Chinese company making different models. :roll:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aaron Cake said:
Another thing to consider is that every 2nd Civic with an 8" exhaust tip and 3 foot high wing has "Lambo" doors these days...
So, like, what are you saying? That up-swinging doors are cheesy? :)

When I saw the car I mentioned the other day, it was the first time I'd seen an aftermarket installation. Guess I need to get out more?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I first saw a civic with doors like this about 4 years ago. Since then I've seen it done a few times, specially common at donut shop parking lots late at night.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
So, like, what are you saying? That up-swinging doors are cheesy?
Nooooo, it's a styling statement. Your car, your dime, your need to impress other, lesser, drivers. Whatever floats your boat, I always say. ;)

I think most car-loving peeps out there will be duly impressed by the surprise factor and the technology and the effort and the expense, roughly in that order, when you first open your Insight / Lambo doors. Then they'll just say, "seen it before on other cars," and motor on. :x

Now, those wheels that keep spinning after your car stops... I laughed out loud the first 4,000 times I saw them, too, before I got over them... :D

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Asside from any personal taste issues, they did get my attention, and I found the concept interesting enough to check it out.

It seems to me that the doors don't rise up enough to actually facilitate entry. In a video clip it became apparent that they had two axis of rotation which made it look like the door was rather wobbly. I'd want to check it out on a currently equiped car before laying down cash.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
devin1955 said:
So, like, what are you saying? That up-swinging doors are cheesy? :)
When I saw the car I mentioned the other day, it was the first time I'd seen an aftermarket installation. Guess I need to get out more?
Kind of, yeah. :)

Also I've had the displeasure of working with a lot of cars with these conversion kits installed (both during and after the install of the doors) and I must say that EVERY ONE OF THEM SUCKS.

Most commonly the kits do not support the doors properly so the wave in the wind like sails. Eventually this begins to bend the door frame and crack it. Doors swinging in the wind also look kind of dorky.

The lower priced kits to not counterbalance the doors, meaning that for the first few inches you are lifting the full weight of the door. Probably not a huge deal on the Insight.

The ones that do counterbalance require modification to the door jam and the inner fender to fit the counterbalance weight. And those weights are not exactly light. Most are at least 30 LBs. After the first few inches of movement, a gas strut takes over.

Some of the kits just allow the door to move vertically up which ends up making a smallish and odd sized opening for you go get into. Forget about putting large objects (ie. some fat people as well) in the passenger seat. An actual Lamborghini moves the doors out and up, meaning that the door opening is almost totally unobstructed.

There's also a slight impracticality with moving the door straight up. May be an issue for some parking garages, may not be.

There are certainly some good kits out there but the prices start around $10K because the company has done the development and testing to assure they operate correctly. To me, that sounds like a heck of a lot of money for little gain. For that kind of money you could have a nice paint job and a custom interior, which will have a much longer lasting "wow" factor.

·
Registered
466 Posts
i like the idea of lambo doors, but as said above, lots of issues. i also like the idea of suicide doors on the insight, with shaved handles and pop-outs. or just shaved handles and pop-outs. and if not pop-outs, a flush-mounted button to actuate the latch.

watcha think?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm thinking of riveting some fabricated aluminum moulding strips to replace the el-cheapo ones that are leaking. :evil:

This thread is still some fun ideas though... I have to say the pink Escalade I saw on that site was the scariest waste of money I'd ever seen... YUCK! :roll:

I think on the right car, this mod would be pretty cool.

There is also a site that sells the red scanning light from K.I.T.T.
I've pondered putting that in my Insight's grill, that might be fun too.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
rtm242 said:
I'm thinking of riveting some fabricated aluminum moulding strips to replace the el-cheapo ones that are leaking.
I'm not quite sure what your talking about here since its off-topic to this thread. But if its the roof strips, the leak is under the strip. The strip is simply a trim piece to cover, NOT to seal. More holes in the roof (riveting down a custom strip) to "fix" a different leak usually isn't usually going in the right direction.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I guess I'm over this.

Several of you pointed out some real concerns, especially Aaron. I too wondered if the doors provided an opening large enough to enter and exit the car comfortably.

Between those things, the cost (not insignificant) and the fact that the manufacturer never even bothered to answer my email, I'm ready to move on. My car has several paint chips and scratches, so maybe I'll direct my focus towards a new paint job and nice interior, as Aaron again mentioned. Leather has been on my list for some time now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
devin1955 said:
Well, I guess I'm over this.
Sorry to bring this up again but on a tv show (pimp my ride?) they had a set that opened the door a few inches then went straight up and access was very easy. In NY, upswinging doors would be more then a cool door, the parking spaces everywhere are tight and would avoid dings and help getting in and out without having to sqeeze out the door.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Unfortunately everyone would need them. It is usually the other party that dings your door. :(

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
100mpg said:
Sorry to bring this up again but on a tv show (pimp my ride?) they had a set that opened the door a few inches then went straight up and access was very easy.
That's how the one I saw worked. This accounts for the fact that they claim the original latch mechanism still functions.

·
Registered
338 Posts
wow

[quote="100mpgIn NY, upswinging doors would be more then a cool door, the parking spaces everywhere are tight and would avoid dings and help getting in and out without having to sqeeze out the door.[/quote]

That is a DAMN good point.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
As pointed out earlier, door dings are from other people opening their car doors and hitting yours. The only protection that you would have from your own actions (you opening you door), would be the door edge. You could buy those less expensive door edge protectors for that.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
476 Posts
"squeezing in"

It's great till someone parks next to you. That's why I try to park farther out, if at all possible.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts