Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda is showing there new FCX concept car in the US this year (it made the rounds in Japan last year from what I can tell). They opened up a new web site with a nicely polished dog and pony show to promote it. However they do not ‘close the loop’ with information about there efforts to make PV cells (Honda has an H2 filling station in California that is solar powered) and there marketing intentions.

http://world.honda.com/fcx/

·
Registered
187 Posts
Efficient hydrogen fuel production still seems challenging, even with some solar assist in production...the "embodied energy" problem.

Please excuse my dumbness, but is this new car a Hydrogen FC-Li Battery hybrid?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it’s a ‘hybrid’. After making a FC that could accommodate the maximum demand of the motor and making IC hybrids they figured out that you could reduce the size of the FC stack and use a battery to make up for the max demand spikes, same basic principle as the Insight.

·
Registered
495 Posts
As have many of you, I've been keeping an ear cocked for news regarding the introduction of fuel cell vehicles.

As it stands now, it wouldn't surprise me that Honda will be the first one "out of the gate" with such a car but it's the short range - only two hundred or so miles if I'm not mistaken - of these initial offerings which tells me which like the Insight, these vehicles will not come close to being the economic success in the market place which will lead to the continued production of these cars.

However, based on my experience with "The Silver Bullet", and the first Honda I've ever owned, I for one wish Hona well and hope I'm wrong.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
FCX is wonderful to look at and would probably make a good marriage in the hands of an appropriate suitor. However, regardless of what the "average man" thinks he wants, he's likely to be happier with something more practical. Ahhhh.......what were we talking about? :oops: :D

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The original FCX concept cost over a million. Fuel cells use Platinum as a catalyst. The search is on to find a cheaper alternative. Likewise the search is on to find a method of storing the hydrogen at a lower pressure by absorbing it into a porous lattice. Add to this that transporting hydrogen is problematic due to low power density and hydrogen embrittlement of metals and that handling pressurized flammable gasses presents safety and practicality issues that are familiar to welders and owners of natural gas vehicles. Nevertheless, if anyone can make this happen I'm convinced it will be Honda.

Would I want one? You better believe it! Of course, I owned a custom modified natural gas powered Honda Prelude, until the Quebec government shut down all the refueling stations. :roll: Sound like a familiar tactic for new and alternative technologies?

I promoted natural gas technology then. Now I promote hybrid technology because I believe it will supply the research and sales that will lead to the future technologies we are going to need as fossil fuels diminish. After all the FCX is a hybrid.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The government says that they don't want the public to be able to purchase the "dangerous" materials used in the storage tanks. A comparison is made that if you wanted to make a dirty bomb out of those materials you would have to purchase x number of units for $?,000. I can't remember the exact number and purchase price. The other option would be to purchase the same number of smoke detectors (contains same amount or dangerous material) for $35/each. So, bottom line is, they don't want this unit sold to the public and NOT due to the material contained within, since smoke detectors are available everywhere for purchase.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey, I live pretty close to Santa Monica, I could probably make this work! Although only getting 270 miles/tank would be depressing... :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm suprised that the best Honda came up with, is a high pressure tank to store gaseous H2. I'll be suprised if we ever see a "home" fillup station that is approved by the government. If one is approved, it will be nothing short of a miracle, since at that point, you are no longer paying anyone taxes, etc. (if you have solar/wind/etc for your Electricity supply). There is no way in hades, that the governemt is going to take there hands out of your pockets.

Not only would a "home" station allow you to fillup your Honda, it would/could allow you to produce hydrogen from your own power sources and store it economically. Right now, lead acid batteries are used, mostly, and that is far too expensive. But if you could store the electricity as H2, and then later convert it back when needed(like the Honda does), then you would solve the problem of "what do I do when the wind is not blowing, or the sun is not shining".

PS, take a look... they are back in research finally....
http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/
not only do I want the kit, I especially want the H2 production unit and storage devices....

·
Registered
495 Posts
There is no way in hades, that the governemt is going to take there hands out of your pockets.
http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/
not only do I want the kit, I especially want the H2 production unit and storage devices....
Want "the government" out of your pockets? Start voting "them" out. If "they" have been in ofifce for more than two consecutive terms, vote the individual out. It's that's simple. It's called Term Limits.

As for the H2 production unit and storeage devices, right now you can purchase H2 anytime you want it, same with the high pressure air/H2 bottles. Just check your Yellow Pages for suppliers of gases; Air Products is but one firm you'll find listed there.

Hope this helps.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Producing your own ethanol is probably a lot cheaper and safer. My understanding is that you can get an experimental licence if the still is used for automotive applications, but don't quote me on that.

Fuel cells need highly purified gas, but not internal combustion engines. Converting your car to run on methane (swamp gas, city gas, GNC) would give you better range and is not only possible but would be safer too. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts