Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't know if this question is entirely appropriate, but can ask it anyway. You guys on here are the most knowledgeable battery/automotive electrical experts I know.

I've been using a heavy duty commercial 12V lead acid battery as a booster to the tiny stock battery in my 2002 Honda insight. I only use it when I am planning to utilize my 800 W car audio system at an outdoor party or something of that nature. This weekend at a bachelor party I did exactly that. I poped the hoop and used jumper cables to connect a large commercial duty 12v battery to my car battery in the 2002 Honda insight while I left the ignition in accessory mode and used my sound system as the life of the party. During the party I had a 5 W solar charging panel connected to the deep cycle battery as a supplemental charger. After getting home I noticed that there was some water discharge over the edge of the battery into the battery box that housed it. After becoming concerned and doing further inspection I realized that the wiring harness for the solar charger was connect to the battery in reverse. :( there appears to be no damage to the car and the deep cycle battery continue to performs expected all day. In fact when I measure the voltage of the deep cycle battery it reads it 14.8 V. So here's my question, did charging in reverse at five Watts for an eight hour. Damage the deep cycle twelvefold battery? If so how would I go about conditioning it or reversing the damage if possible.

I have removed the event caps and have visually inspected that the water is at least a quarter to a third inch above the plates inside the battery so the amount of water lost appears to be very minimal.

By default method of handling this would be simply to put it on a trickle charger, the model I have is a 0.75 amp 12 V DC battery tender Junior. But I thought I would check with you guys before chicle charging the heavy duty commercial battery up to snuff.

Stats on battery: group size 31, coca at 0F 950, [email protected] 32f 1185, rc minutes at 25 amps is 195

·
Registered
939 Posts
Id just top it off with a slow charge and call it a day. Id be willing to bet the solar charge being only 5w didnt do anything at all as the stereo drain was far greater. most things have polarity protection or just short out-and that batt has plenty of kick to zap that charger

·
Super Moderator
2,063 Posts
I heard when you hook up the solar charger backward it sends more energy back to the sun, I thought it was a little brighter out today.:D
(Sorry couldn't help myself)

Scott

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Most solar panels have reverse blocking diodes so likely no current flowed anyway and probably neither the panel or the battery have been damaged.

Just forget it.

·
Linsight Designer
2,768 Posts
Most solar panels have reverse blocking diodes so likely no current flowed anyway and probably neither the panel or the battery have been damaged.

Just forget it.
Zero chance you damaged the insight or batteries; the battery is the lower impedance device and it's hooked low impedance to the wiring harness. Put another way: the battery is the biggest baddest bully and the solar panel is a pipsqueak. If your panel has a Schottky diode, no chance you hurt the panel, either. If no diode, you shouldn't have damaged the panel, as it would just turn the current to heat; aside: solar panel charge controllers simply short the panel out and as long as you don't put a voltage higher than the panel the current won't get too high to overheat the panel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.