1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sorry to hear that, would like all the new models to succeed. The leaf started out fairly fast but has fallen off on sales volume however both have sold more cars than the 1st gen Insight did in 6 years. I think Chevy got it right with the Volt, the battery has its own climate control system. I also love the automatic collection of driving data via onstar at Volt Stats! Tracking real world usage of Chevy Volts in the wild... . Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick,

Great website on the Volt, thanks for sharing, I book marked it on my computer.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Shame IMHO that litigation continues to plague new developments and ideas :(

Perhaps could have been sorted with some warranty work and a recall to tweak the systems.

Anyway does demonstrate that people doing the PP50 Lithium conversion in the hotter climates need to be serious about their cooling.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
.....Anyway does demonstrate that people doing the PP50 Lithium conversion in the hotter climates need to be serious about their cooling.
Peter,

I have to agree.

My battery pack dropped about 40% capacity after our hot summer in Wisconsin. Not knowing any better, I continued to run the battery down to/from work, and trickle charge at 300mA at night, with a 5 inch fan cooling the pack.

Just got the pack back together and the car running again last night, and will start cycling the battery again to see just how much better things are now that I replaced one stick with a better one. Another plus is the temps are much cooler now to boot!

I think JimE mentioned his capacity was down also, but I don't know if was due to higher temps this summer or not.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Interesting..... I read the contract with the purchase of my Honda and I guess since I am a new owner to that vehicle I cant sue according to the fine print. I have to go through arbritation. I also cant use the vehicle as part of a business, as a delivery vehicle and some other stuff.

Peter, what I find interesting of all is that each state of our country is different? For example, many consumer electronics have a label that says the device may contain parts or chemicals that are known to cause cancer in the state of California. :D So, its safe to use outside that state?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I think it was a basic contract, 8 1/2 wide 2 ft long front and back, several pages. I think the Toy dealer next door to the Honda dealer made me sign something similar when I purchased a vehicle from them some time ago.

I guess if I do it voids the warranty, fianncing, insurance, etc and basically they repo the car? :D

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure you can use it anyway you want but it may void your warranty if they find out.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The United States is just like the European Union. Every member state has its own rules.
Shame IMHO that litigation continues to plague new developments and ideas :(
Litigation would not be necessary if Nissan had an honorable sales staff that addressed customers concerns. They said, "20-30% loss is normal, then the losses will stop." Okay. So reassure that they have nothing to fear by warranting the battery will maintain at least 70% capacity for 100,000 (as was advertised).

On the other hand I'm not surprised that Nissan did not act. It is part of Japanese culture to protect one's honor, and not admit fault, as that would be dishonorable. I've seen it time and again where companies like the Fukushima plant, or Sony, or Honda, or Toyota, or Nissan refuse to admit anything is wrong even in the face of overwhelming failures in their products. Even at the end of WW2 they refused to surrender even as the U.S. was threatening to annihilate city-after-city with nukes. (The military tried to assassinate their own emperor.) They try to cover-up failures because the Japanese way is to "save face". I see Nissan is doing that now by saying there's nothing wrong with the Leaf.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget that Carlos Ghosn of Renault is the Nissan chairman of the board, he has held this position since 2000 when Renault saved Nissan from their money issues. Yes it is Nissan but he pulls the strings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts