Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all-

I've got puddles on my drivers side floor after heavy rain. I can see a little drippage coming in from near (or from) the clutch pedal. Could this have to do with a bad cowl from where the wiper blades are? Does this make sense?
I think the cowl is near the bottom of the outside of the window......HELP!

I looked through the other threads, and saw great info for other leaks, but none like I have. Any suggestions? I just got the car a week ago, and love it other than for that.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi cleverclever and welcome to the forum,

In theory it could be a body seam in the cowl area. :( IIRC there have been no posts of water leaks in that area on an Insight.

But more commonly its the windshield. Still got that Honda factory brand installed :?: An aftermarket is a dead give away that its been replaced and might not have been correctly sealed.

Some paitence with a garden hose at about 1/3 - 1/2 stream, starting low and working your way higher will reveal the location.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi clevercleaver,

There have been many problems with water leaks on the Insight. Most have been into the seat belt retractor, but several have had problems with windshield replacement outfits not replacing the clips with new ones. They usually are related to either the windshield installation or to the plastic trim piece that arcs over the door and down the side of the windshield. The trim piece uses one-time use clips with only a small rubber insert to keep the water out.

My Insight has leaked since the collision repair but I haven't had the time or weather to try tearing it apart. I will be sure to order new clips before I try it, though, since I have to park outside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, now things are getting interesting.

I pulled theh carpet back and looked at the front and back of the rubber insulation. The back? Soaking- I had to wring water out of it to start it to dry. The front? Dry, dry, pretty dry. I looked for leakage from the pedals again after watering the car, nothing. Could this mean there is a leak beneath the rubber insulation? Somewhere just below the steering wheel, is there a seam I'm not seeing? I've got ideas on how I could close the area off, but I'm open to suggestion.

Sorry to be such a pain.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Have you found what was causing the leak? I'm having the same problem. Yesterday night, we had a heavy rain and when I got into the Insight this morning, the drivers side flormat was soaked. When I pulled it out, there was about 1/2" of standing water on the carpet where my feet go. I couldn't see any evidence of where it was coming from. The speaker opening had the normal drop or two of water but there's no way it came from there.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Hi,

I have the same leak problem on the driver's side floor. I've had it since I bought the car new in 2004. I haven't found the source of the leak yet. It was originally just one area near the clutch, sort of in a line, and recently a new spot has developed by the door near the small release latch with the gas tank symbol on it. I have to put tons of folded paper towels under there in the two places all the time. It's especially bad after a rainstorm or washing the car. I've checked the cowls and even underneath the car but can't find anything wrong.

I'm sooooooooo tired of changing "Akachan's ("baby" in Japanese) diapers! Has anyone out there figured out just where the wetness might be coming from??? I don't have the more common wet seat belt problem.

Thanks,
Murasaki

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

I have this same problem, last year after heavy rains I was getting pools of water by the driver’s side floor but not the passengers. I took it to my local Honda dealer and they said it was the seals around the door. $600 later it seemed to be fixed but the rains were letting up for the season and I thought the problem was fixed but it’s the rainy season again and after a few hard rains the problem is back. I can’t figure out where it’s coming from but it doesn’t seem like its coming from the seat belt.

I’m going to talk to the Honda dealer again but I don’t want to spend very much more and I know if I have them do anything it’s going to cost me even though they got it wrong the first time. If anyone has some ideas of what I could do I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
As reported in the forums the most common water leak is in the speaker area. 2nd would be the seat belt area.

See:

Door water leak repairs including needed
speaker back cover modification.
http://yves.fungiart.com/pages/waterleak.htm

$600 :!: :?: For a water leak repair :shock:
IMO for that pile of cash it better have a lifetime warranty :!:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
$600 :!: :?: For a water leak repair :shock:
IMO for that pile of cash it better have a lifetime warranty :!:

Yeah I know, I had played around trying to fix it for a bit but then thought I would just bite the bullet and get it fixed once and for all and mistakenly thought a Honda dealer would be best suited to fix a problem with a Honda car.

But thanks for the link I give that a try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I started having a severe water leak problem soaking the driver's side floor right after the Honda dealership inspected my car, $970 in just that one appointment, when they replaced the wiper transmission. They claimed to have fixed the leak, blaming it on an aftermarket rear view mirror installed by the 1st owner, however, I have driven this car almost 9 years and did not have this issue before. Honda insisted the water was residual even though a 24 X 24 by 3 inch thick sponge I put on the floor during a heavy rain got saturated, froze to the carpet. I even took it to another place and spent $300 there as they claimed to have found "another" leak, sealed it with silicone, and my original problem is exactly the same. Can anyone help with a suggestion? Safelite auto is claiming this is not the windshield, because the original windshield is still in place. This is a 2006.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,965 Posts
The top clip on your roof pillar cover drivers side could be the culprit.
Watch this u tube:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts