Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

My name is Bernhard and we have four Honda Hybrids in our Family. Two Insight2, a Jazz Hybrid and my CRZ.

On both Insights and my CRZ the left rear shock is leaking. All within 40-60tkm.

There is no aftermarket rear shock available for the Insight but many for Fit/Jazz.

Anyone ever tried replacing an Insight shock with one for a Jazz/Fit?

I ordered TWO Jazz aftermarket shocks which are exactly the same price as ONE OEM Insight shock from Honda. Will try it on the weekend.

Bernhard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They fit plug and play.

They are 5mm longer which won't matter. The spring is still preloaded with the car jacked up and can't fall out.

Bernhard

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Welcome aboard. :)

Good to hear. Is your Insight left or right hand drive? I had a drivers side rear go bad and replaced them with Civic shocks. The shock had slightly less travel, however it makes it easier to change the tire as you do not need to jack it as high to get the tire off the ground.

The front shocks you need that tab for the sway bar link to attach to and the civic doesnt use that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bemhard I have with me Honda Insight and it's maintenance and repair is the duty of my husband. I am also facing the same problem. We have taken the advice of our old mechanic. He has rectified the problem. He also told us that if the problem is not get rectified then the vehicle is to be taken either to dealers or to auto repair shop specifically dealing with Toyota vehicle repair.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Bernhard,

You mention the shocks are 5mm longer, which I think is probably fine if the spring is well-seated. Do they compress as short as the original shock? E.g., do they have about the same travel until they hit the bump stop inside?

Also, what model year Insight do you have and for what model year Jazz/Fit are the replacement shocks you got? What brand?

FYI, at 70k miles the shocks on my '11 are still good, though I think they are probably just slowly aging (no failure, just feel a little softer than I think they were when new, but still good damping overall).

Thanks!

Hello guys,

My name is Bernhard and we have four Honda Hybrids in our Family. Two Insight2, a Jazz Hybrid and my CRZ.

On both Insights and my CRZ the left rear shock is leaking. All within 40-60tkm.

There is no aftermarket rear shock available for the Insight but many for Fit/Jazz.

Anyone ever tried replacing an Insight shock with one for a Jazz/Fit?

I ordered TWO Jazz aftermarket shocks which are exactly the same price as ONE OEM Insight shock from Honda. Will try it on the weekend.

Bernhard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts