Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Immediately after Honda replaced 2nd and 3rd O2 Sensors on my 178K 05 MT as part of used car purchase due to P0138 + P1130 codes, my 45 mile all freeway commute MPG dropped from 72 MPG to 60 MPG. I noticed it hardly goes into Lean Burn now on the freeway. Two months prior to this event, Honda completely serviced it as part of the purchase with new fluids, filters, spark plugs, valve adjustment, and cleaned the EGR. This one owner G1 had 64.8 lifetime MPG when I purchased it in late April with 176K and is stock with all the belly panels and clean CARFAX and VIN numbers on every panels including front and rear bumpers. In 2014 at 152K dealer put a Honda $2,200 IMA including tax which owner paid. IMA discharge/charge fine. It is airways at 19 bars, drops two bars when used and immediately puts it back. I have put Ethonal free gas and ran it in 3rd gear at 3,500+ RPM for 15+ minutes just in case CAT needed cleaning, no change getting LB at highway speed. It has been driven 1000 miles since and no change. Honda Service used the correct part number according to MajesticHonda parts catalog and OBDE doesn't show any codes. My local dealership is not familiar with G1's and is not much help. I need G1 community help. Thanks and hope to meet some of you at InsightFest 2017 in a few weeks. Steve

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. RE92s are at same tire pressures as before; 43 Front, 40 Rear. Only change was Honda Service installing O2 Sensor Kit 06365-PHM-A20 $532.72 at their expense.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i would question the validity of their EGR cleaning, i cannot envision them taking the intake manifold apart to clean it properly. mostly because i have worked for dealerships and i see a lot of things left undone or done in a poor manner.

the EGR has a pretty strong relationship with lean burn.

you can also do a 12v reset and see if that helps, these cars can be very picky sometimes.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. Honda cleaned EGR and manifold when I bought it with 176K and it coded after 2000 miles of all freeway driving. It had coded for O2 Sensors prior to sale. They were going to replace them at their cost. While they had it I told them to clean EGR and do all the other service I wrote in my post. They didn't change the O2 Sensors since after cleaning EGR it didn't show any codes. They used the Honda Volt meter to read both sensors in front of me and they both looked good. They were going to write me a check for the O2 Sensors repair since they did not replace them. I told them let's wait to see if it codes first. When it did, they paid my local Honda dealer $750 to fix it since they are about 500 miles from me. The car didn't have any hesitation while accelerating before EGR cleaning or now. It revs nicely to red line in the first 3 gears. I have had it close triple digits and it still accelerates fine while trying to clean up the CAT. I will check the EGR again. Question; Does the ECU have to learn the new O2 Sensors? If so, how many more miles? I have already put a 1,000 freeway miles on it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
it only takes a few drive cycles to learn adaptive memories, you're well beyond that.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
InI have 100 miles round trip every day and 95% of it is all freeway. I may not have enough cycles on it. So far only 10. For this week, I plan to add Seafoam to the gas tank thinking the injectors may have gotten clogged. Some of the posts in the Forum suggest it. It can't hurt. I will keep you posted. Steve

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Added 8 OZ of Seafoam to 8 gallons of gas and 2.5 OZ to engine oil. Within 4 cycles and 200 miles the Lean Burn is back! I am back to getting 65+ uphill gaining 900 ft and 75+ MPG downhill losing 900 ft on the freeway on my commute going with traffic flow and passing most of the 16 wheelers. Thanks Lyger for your advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts