Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,001 Posts
For Lean Burn the TPS has to be 35 or less, as read on a ScanGauge II. I think OBDIIC&C displays it as like a voltage or something if you get one of those.

Properly indexed spark plugs are supposed to help with lean burn.

Shot in the dark:
Maybe your knock sensor needs to be replaced? Uhh like, the plastic could be splitting apart and the probe is loose. No CEL if this happens but it could be throwing weird signals and the timing could be affected.

@ eq1 and Willie:
G2 doesn't have a SOC gauge on the dash. But there's a really rudimentary one that provides you with no useful information which you can select from the infographic display options.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
A OBDIIC&C can also read the TPS.
On my vehicle it happens between 20 and 30 TPS IIRR. I'll check again tomorrow.

Check the vac. line at the MAP sensor. It's a bear to get to.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
what are my next options?
could there be something wrong with the vacuum line?
should i change my spark plugs?
Did you ever check ground straps - two under/left of airbox, 12V battery ground? Stranger things have happened...
Wouldn't hurt to inspect the plugs, but I'd only change them if they're bad and/or if they're not the right ones...
If it were MAP/vacuum line I'd think the way it runs would be affected at other times, but I don't know as a matter-of-fact...

Since your IMA pack swap, everything IMA-related seems to be working normally? Usually, lean burn doesn't even work if the IMA is having problems, but then, that's when it's disabled/you have a trouble code...

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,001 Posts
@ eq1:

I did some testing late last year and repeated like last week that shows that even with P1449 the car will still do lean burn.

LB is reading 0 on the ScanGauge II, meaning the car is in lean burn. IMA light is illuminated, it was for P1449.

The car in the photo and my other car where I saw it last week, both were US models, a 2001 and a 2000 respectively. I should test this on my co-worker's Canadian model.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For Lean Burn the TPS has to be 35 or less, as read on a ScanGauge II. I think OBDIIC&C displays it as like a voltage or something if you get one of those.
Is that 35 out of 100 or 255? I'm finding at the moment that I have to be barely touching the throttle to get lean burn. I have printed out the manual for the OBDIIC&C so I can change the default display to show load and TPS, just not done it yet.

It seems easier to get into and stay in lean when in lower gears. On the way home there is a hill in a 30MPH limit and I can keep it in lean all the way up and it even assists a bit. But on the motorway at 70 it is very sensitive.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,001 Posts
I don't know how the OBDIIC&C displays the TPS value. On a ScanGauge II it is a number between (I think) 10 and 87, with the bottom of that range all the way to 35 being the only place you can have the throttle and the car stay in Lean Burn. I think OBDIIC&C displays the number differently, I don't remember but I think it was as a voltage or a percent.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks. I'll have a play with the OBDIIC&C and see what it says. I need to change the plugs as I have no idea when they were last done. I do know it had a new EGR not long before we bought it and it is smooth on the transition in and out of lean.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
TPS with the OBD gauge is in Pecentage of throttle opening, 9-90. 9% is the normal idle.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Does someone live in the san diego area who is willing to help me out? I am running low on options and i am startig to boubt my mechanic skills. I live in Ramona CA. Zip 92065. Pm me if you can come over and help.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
@ eq1: I did some testing last year and repeated like last week that shows that even with P1449 the car will still do lean burn.
I don't recall ever seeing it myself, but seems like everyone around here is always saying they lose lean burn without the IMA... How can you go against the IC Wisdom?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Yeah, I saw it, see it. I was kind of joking around... But still, a few people see lean burn, one a real sharp person with clear evidence (that's you), 100 people don't see lean burn, most of them part of the unwashed masses: Does lean burn work with IMA disabled, does it not work, or does it work on some cars and not others?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
oefenamb:
Check your PM's. Guess you didn't realize Campo is close by.

Willie

Appt. made for Tue."High Noon"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So, it is acting wierd again. We replaced the fuel regulator and it fixed it, for about 20 miles. When i drove it again this morning it is messing up again and shaking again. Could something cause the fuel regulator to fail?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Dirt in the fuel possibly could. Have you replaced the filter? Even if it's not blocked they can get holes in the element and then pass large material.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I was told that the fuel filter was part of the fuel tank, and so not replacable without replacing the fuel tank. Is that false?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
21 - 40 of 63 Posts