Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to a post I made on the "After market Wheels" post, I have decided to start a new topic. Over a year and a half ago I decided to install my own custom leather interior in my Insight. Since I used to work at a VW interior shop during college I decided to tackle the job myself instead of paying the high prices of having someone else do it. I also wanted to take the interior one step above normal... 100% leather, no vinyl sides or backs. I also added a pocket to the rear of the driver's seat so that now both seats have them. Here is a photo of the install:

I dismanteled my seats and used the stock covers to make patterns (removed all the stitching). At first I did post to the yahoo insight newsgroups and recieved a weak response. I was going to make kits and sell them with an instruction video. When I started to talk about price, everyone backed out. Considering minimal compensation for my labor I was going to have to charge between $900 and $1000. I even supplied quotes that I had received from local interior shops that were in the $1500 to $2000 range for a similar job. In partly due to this and the the huge task of the install itself (not for the unexperienced) I decided to cancel my leather interior kit plans. I have since destroyed the patterns along with the instructional video that I made so that I could not change my mind later. And I guess that I also wanted to remain one of the only ones around with a leather interior in an Insight. Since that photo above was taken I have installed a leather wrapped steering wheel as well:

·
Registered
32 Posts
beautiful interior

i'm lusting after it. but, yesh, it doesn't come cheap, or easy.... and i have a few other things that need to come first. thanksf or posting.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yea, I remember that. Great job, wish I could afford it. But I just can't see doing it for this car. For the price I paid for this car it should have come like that from Honda!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Very nice...

Clayton--

That is really nice. You must do that for a living?

I particularly like the steering wheel. I'd love to have mine covered. What could I expect to pay just to have that done?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I used to do interior work for a living while I was in college. I have since moved on to my career as an Aerospace Engineer.

As far as cost on the leather wheel... I am not sure since I do all of my own work and I have never covered a wheel for anyone else. Some companies do sell leather wrapping kits; you might want to check into it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Steering wheel...

Thanks for the response. Do you mean a wrap specifically made for a particular wheel, a generic wrap for just the grip area or a generic wrap that covers everything but the horn button?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I mean a wrap made specifically for the wheel. There is a company that makes them but I cannot remember their name (but also not sure if they would have one for the Insight). There is also another option made my Wheelskins that looks almost factory and is rather inexpensive (I have used them in the past on other cars). I have also heard of others shipping their steering wheels to a company to have them wrapped.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Steering wheel...

If you remember the name of that company, let me know.

They may not make one for the Insight, but perhaps for the S2000? It's the same wheel, isn't it?

I'd also really like to know the name and number of the company that you can ship the wheel off to to have it wrapped.

Also, I know you aren't doing it, but if you were, how much would you charge to wrap a steering wheel like you did yours?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as a place to send the wheel to... I had a computer crash a couple months ago and I was unable to recover my links to places that do such work, sorry. As I can remember it was in the $300 range to get one covered.

In my personal opinion I would not pay for a leather wheel in the Insight. The only reason that I did mine was to complement my leather interior. If I had the rest of the interior stock I especially would not do it. Some would consider it nicer but I cannot see why. It feels the same when you are driving except you now have stitching to contend with. And as far as the interior, there are some days when it gets really hot here in Arizona and I wish I would not have done it... oh well, it looks nice.

And to answer your other question... the Insight and the S2000 do use very similar steering wheel frames, although not the same ones. And with the few numbers of S2000's on the road and combined with how few get totaled beyond repair (I have seen some really bad ones brought back to life due to their value and polularity), you stand little chance of finding one from an S2000. I am registered as a wholesaler and have feelers in at most of the major Honda wrecking yards for S2000 wheels if they ever get one (and the calls that I have recieved are for wheels that are bent).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts