Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
New to the party
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off the good news, you can have LED brake lights, I do. The bad news, it isn't super easy.

The problem is while we do have 7443 sockets, we don't have standard ones, we have CK type sockets. While this doesn't matter with incandescent bulbs it matters with LEDs. If you plug standard pin out LEDs into the insight's sockets you will blow the brake fuse when you go to use them. (there are two brake fuses, one under the hood and one in the box by the clutch)

There are two ways to solve this. You can by CK type 7443 brake LED bulbs (but where is the fun there?) or you can change the pin out of standard 7443 LEDs.

There are two options for CK style LED 7443 bulbs (that I know of)

V-LEDS CK bulbs

I contacted superbrightleds about this and they said their 7443-x18-T were CK type but since I couldn't find that written anywhere, I have questions about that.

The other option would be to buy a standard 7443 pin LED bulb and change the pin out, since I already bought the superbrightleds 7443-x45-T LEDs and I was too lazy to return them and they were cheaper than the VLEDs I went that route.

Credit where credit is due, here is where I found the the pins to change Changing 7443 pin out

The key was I used a very fine hobby saw to cut through only the red plastic base and no deeper. (i resized the photo down to a tiny size but this website says a jpg file isn't valid)
Then I swapped the two center pins (make sure to put electrical tape where they touch)
Then I glued it back together again, and put them in, it works great.

I have to say overall the 45 LED units light up just as well as the incandescent they replaced and are pure red, not a pink like the old ones were.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I resaved the image to my image host in case the other one disappears, since a picture is worth 1000 words! Here is the image linked above:

Thanks for posting specifics!

Bryce

·
7,185 Posts
So you didn't have to use a resistor to ground on the one side of the LEDs?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would expect this to cause issues with IMA (particularly, trying to max regen all the time because the ECU thinks you're pressing the brake pedal when you're not), unless you ground the positive side of the LED thru a 10k ish resistor.

·
New to the party
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There has been no change in the regeneration behavior of the car at least nothing I can see. Cruising with very light throttle (just enough to hold speed) results in neither boost or regen. Taking my foot off the gas but not appling the brakes results in a few bars of regen. Applying the brakes a little causes the regen bars to increase, going all the way to max with additional pettle pressure. This is just the way it operated for me before.

I didn't put in a resistor

I don't know why it works, I am a mechanical engineer, it just does. If I had to guess it doesn't depend on that path to ground in case you burn out a bulb?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Based on the wiring diagrams in the service manual, there IS no other path to ground. So; either your ECM is anomalous in that its input isn't floating high-enough to register as logic-high, OR the bulbs you got already account for this internally, as its essentially a resistor across the leads of the bulb.

·
Registered
42 Posts
interestedguy: Perhaps you can let us know what brand/model bulbs you got, exactly. Then we can work backwards to determine if those bulbs do indeed work better than the ones others have received. Also, everybody should mention if all of the other lights, including the third brake light (center high mounted stop lamp/CHMSL) are working and stock/not stock as well.

Bryce

·
New to the party
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nashco - I did say what I bought - superbrightleds 7443-x45-T LEDs - due to the fact their website is really odd I will try to link to it but I don't know if it will work 7443-x45-T

The lights work perfectly. When you turn the headlights on the two taillights light up in their dim setting. When you press the brake petal both taillights go to their bright settings and the center high mount (which is stock) comes on. Without the headlights on everything is dark and when you press the brake petal the taillights go to their bright setting and the center high mount comes on.

Believe me I tested this allot with my wife pressing the brake petal while I watched given the number of fuses I blew before I did the pin swap.

I used plastic polish on the taillights and I really think it looks nice.

·
New to the party
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just modified two more of the same bulbs and installed them in my second insight. They work great just like the last ones did. Boost, Regen, center brake light are all working just as they did before.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Sorry, dumb question. Does this just change the brightness of the taillights, or alter the appearance (when lit) in some other manner?

·
New to the party
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For me it is just a change for looks, the brightness is about the same it just looks better. From a technical standpoint they use alot less power than the standard bulbs do which can't hurt and they turn on faster than the standard bulbs do.

I actually changed out all the light bulbs on the car with the exception of the headlights (I went for silver star ultra's there) to LEDs. I also used a Mother's Powerball to polish the headlights. I think the LEDs give the car a really updated look.

The speed of the turn on of the LEDs was really evident while I was changing the turn signals, I would test after each bulb and with one of each on a side you could see the LED snap on then the bulb would light up, then the LED would snap off and then the bulb would go dark.

The only downside is cost, with the LEDs, the silver star headlights, LED compatable flasher module and the headlight polish it was about $250.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Flamin heck. I think I'm giving up on this. I've blown too many fuses. :rolleyes:

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
For me it is just a change for looks, the brightness is about the same it just looks better. From a technical standpoint they use alot less power than the standard bulbs do which can't hurt and they turn on faster than the standard bulbs do.

I actually changed out all the light bulbs on the car with the exception of the headlights (I went for silver star ultra's there) to LEDs. I also used a Mother's Powerball to polish the headlights. I think the LEDs give the car a really updated look.

The speed of the turn on of the LEDs was really evident while I was changing the turn signals, I would test after each bulb and with one of each on a side you could see the LED snap on then the bulb would light up, then the LED would snap off and then the bulb would go dark.

The only downside is cost, with the LEDs, the silver star headlights, LED compatable flasher module and the headlight polish it was about $250.
Interestedguy: did you have to modify the turn signal bulbs also (or just the tail lights) and what flasher module did you use (and did it require mod to fit the car)?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I have a few burned out front side marker/parking.turn signal lights. I want to replace these and the brake lights with LED bulbs, can anyone tell me what bulb part numbers to use for LEDs, vendors/brands, and or where to buy?

I did a search on InsightCentral but there are many, many pages of hits. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here, so if there is already a good thread please post the link.

Also, I assume I will need an electronic flasher, so same type of info on that.

In addition, I have seen a few cars on the road where the brake lights, or just the center brake light flash three times before staying on, where can I get that unit/module/or bulb?

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
I buy from Dx.com and swap the pin out of bulb. If not, fuse will blown.

I made a tread on the forum about the full LED conversion.
RDL, headlight, parkimg, flasher, brake, backup, interior.
Yes you need electrocic flasher.

·
Registered
124 Posts
LED

DX.COM

Bulb Location
P/N
Link
Item
Qty

Brake light
http://www.dx.com/p/267496
7443 / 7440 / T20 6W 600lm 120 x SMD 3528 LED Red Car Steering / Brake / Backup / Tail Light - (12V)

Rear Flasher light
http://www.dx.com/p/266871
7443/7440/T20 6W 600lm 120 x SMD 3528 LED Orange Car Steering / Brake / Backup / Tail Light - (12V)

Front side orange parking light
http://www.dx.com/p/405656
MZ T10 3W Car LED Side Turn Signals / Clearance / Door Light Orange 560~590nm 6-2525SMD (12V DC)

Licence light/Dome light
http://www.dx.com/p/314583
T10 15W 1350lm 3-LED CANBUS White Car License Plate / Signal Light Clearance /Indicator Lamp

Front small round clear parking
http://www.dx.com/p/281218
T15 / T13 / 921 50W 700lm 10-LED White Car Clearance lamp / Side Light - (12~24V)

Ebay.com

DRL LED bar
http://r.ebay.com/zAaZXi
Switchback White/Amber High Power LED DRL Daytime Running Turn Signal Lights

xenondepot.com

Headlight bulb
12953BWX2
http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulb-p/12953bwx2.htm
H4 12953BWX2 Philips X-treme Ultinon LED Bulb
[DRL Upgrade:Without DRL]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts