Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey guys! I picked up these bulbs about two months ago and have been using them ever since, and figured i'd do a review for anyone wanting an easy way to increase their cars headlight output without doing a projector retrofit. I bought a set of these bulbs for my Insight and they work fantastic. They don't get too hot, no radio interference, high beams are like two small suns and work just as they did before, fans are barely noticeable when the car is auto stopped with my music all the way down. Beam cutoff is excellent on them as well. I'd highly highly recommend for $50.

IMG_6022.jpg IMG_6841.jpg IMG_7454.jpg IMG_7452.JPG

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the hot spots are better placed than the bulbs I used.

What did you do with the rubber shroud that normally covers the bulbs on the back of the housing? I imagine these don't fit through them.

Thankfully, due to the design of the bulbs, you are able to reuse the factory rubber dust covers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
I already have Philips set for my Insight, but they look great.
I just order a 9006 set for my ‘98 Eclipse Spyder!
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Anyone know if these are or are likely to be dimmable? I have always-on driving lights that operate the high beam filament at half power, wondering if these would work with that...

edit: OK, I found an answer:
Q: Will these led bulbs also work as daytime running lights?
A: No, these bulbs can only be used as headlight bulbs, can not be used as daytime running lights as the low voltage of the drl location. By Topik Lighting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anyone know if these are or are likely to be dimmable? I have always-on driving lights that operate the high beam filament at half power, wondering if these would work with that...

edit: OK, I found an answer:
Q: Will these led bulbs also work as daytime running lights?
A: No, these bulbs can only be used as headlight bulbs, can not be used as daytime running lights as the low voltage of the drl location. By Topik Lighting.
When I buy my Phillips LED kit, there was the DEL option. So yes, but you have to select the option. No option, no.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope the cooling fans last. I'm going to buy a pair and try them out.
They’ve been going strong/showing no signs of stopping the entire time i’ve been using them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
I receive them. Great quality. 24 month warranty.
Left one is the LED.
Right one is halogen.

·
Registered
292 Posts
So, I bought the ones linked by the OP. They seem to be decent quality, but I have some issues.

The fan does not vent outside the headlight housing. It is internal, and as far as I can see it does not move air across the external heat sinks. Now, It may be that the sole purpose of the fan is to draw heat into the heat sink where it can be passed into the engine bay, I don't know.

The units seem to be well built and they fit in the stock housings very well with no clearance issues.

They are a little too "beamy" on low beams. They have a bright hot spot and splotchy side coverage. High beams are just a big wash of light projected down the road. They don't seem well focused, but they do light up a long distance away.

Overall, they are quite a bit brighter than stock, but have a less even pattern. Where stock lamps had a nice even wash side to side, these are splotchy and unfocused. The low beam cutoff still works though. I am not blinding oncoming traffic while on low beam.

I will also say, that I have an aux light bar wired in to my setup. I had tapped the high and low beam wires which triggered my amber/white aux bar to be amber with low beams and white with high beams. I had to pull my relays because the relay coils were back feeding the "other" beam enough to light up both high and low chips on the LED lamp. I will have to put some diodes in my relay pack to prevent this from happening.

All this to say, they must be incredibly efficient since this backfeed is barely current.

Also, I wish these weren't so far into the blue spectrum. I much prefer warmer colored lights when driving in bad weather. I see a lot of fog and rain on my commute. That's one main reason I installed an amber light bar.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I have been using these since Dec 2018. They are bright enough for others to see me.
20181230_115856~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Decided to give these a go as well. Headlights due for a polish. Initial impressions are very good. I'm not sure the shortcomings posted are 100 percent from the led bulb. It may just be highlighting issues with the factory housing.
Low beams then high beams.
received_658789441562312.jpeg
received_825372664609791.jpeg

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like your pattern a lot better!

I polished my lenses on the day I put these in. When a little haze builds up I bet these will get better since the lens will diffuse the splotchiness a bit.

Yeah It could very well be the reflector design, but combine that with a highly specular light source like an led and it will definately get worse.

They bright tho!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just put these in last night & have to say they are definitely brighter, but I do see artifacts when turning through intersections. With newly polished lenses, I assume it's the reflector/light combo? Still it definitely makes it easier to see & whilst happy now, I'll hold judgement till I see how it handles fog / heavy road spray.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts