Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all!

I picked up a pair for $180 from Headlight Revolution on their recommendation. Steep, but a very interesting design.

• The LED arrays are very close to where the incandescent coil is on a normal bulb, so it helps keep the light focused (pics below)
  • The retainer clip on the back of the headlight enclosure works great because you install and clip in the ring before sliding the element inside
  • The unit is fan-cooled, which should result in longer life
  • The ballast is located in a separate box, which should also extend life
But how does it perform?

I find myself picking up objects and details substantially sooner than with the stock bulbs. The color isn't quite as easy on the eyes, and it doesn't "feel" much brighter, but since I see things sooner, I'm happy.

The Verdict?

Me Likey. I can see wider and further, and don't have a super bright patch close to me.

---------------------------------------

Pictures aren't as dramatic as the difference in person. I tried to lock exposure settings, but despite my best efforts I think it auto-adjusted anyway. For what it's worth:

NOTE: I believe the garage photos all have the same aperture and duration settings, but I can't be sure.

Low Beams have a very similar pattern, but smear high and left. Note the far better contrast in the LED photo and that the lit areas of the door are brighter and have more area blown-out.

And for a direct comparison, here's one of each low beam in a single photo (not stitched together)

High Beams - a bit more smear towards the top. Note the lack of "horns" in the LEDs. Again, better contrast and visibility

Now, here are the photos where I know the camera re-adjusted for the lighting difference. Pay attention to the spread of the light, how far away things are, and how far you can see detail. The LEDs win out here too.

Low Beams:

High Beams:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that I've been driving on them for a couple weeks, including some serious back-country roads, I can say this:

I LOVE IT!

I can see so very much better - I know better where the road goes now, and I can better tell where the wildlife is.

What I like most about this is that it doesn't overlight the close part of the road, which in turn keeps my eyes adapted to the distance. This helps hugely in visibility.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep in mind that the bulbs are substantially brighter, and so keeping a stock pattern would result in more glare straight up.

What surprises me is that the LEDs don't have the "demon horns" of glare at the top that the stock halogens had.

So far, nobody has complained or flashed their brights at us. With me on my foot and my girlfriend driving, I don't find it problematic to look at.

Of course, I don't have a professional camera, so I can't be sure that the exposures are correct. I wish I did...

·
Registered
856 Posts
How do you think these would hold up on a bypassed car that frequently exceeds 4k rpms? There would be voltage droop each time that happens then it would pop back up when the dc-dc kicked back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts