Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has replaced their Headlights with LED ones and what the results are? I specifically am looking at the AuxBeam Headlights (www.auxbeam.com). I am looking at the model with no fans in them. They seem to run a lot cooler and use much less current.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been using these since May.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNBDWPK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love them. They do have a fan and are a bit noisy when the engine is off. Beam pattern is nice too. No one has flashed their lights at me, so I'm pretty sure I'm not blinding anyone.

I used to suspect they were negatively affecting my MPG, but I'm not sure if that's even possible or if I'm just driving more aggressively these days.

Edit: I also replaced my brights with Nokya Hyper Yellows purely for aesthetics. I like the way they look in combination with the LEDs on gloomy days. I don't run them at night unless I actually need them.

Double edit: Here's a photo:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It almost seems that the LED lights are not ready for "prime time" as they say. I did some further investigation and with all the reviews on the Auxbeam lights on Youtube, nobody addressed the Daytime Running Lights and the error messages on the MID that are possible.

It turns out that you need to install a resistor ballast on the High beams to prevent an error message on the MID and perhaps flickering with the high beam lights in the Daytime running lights mode? This is due to the lower voltage (4-8 volts) that the bulbs are supplied in that mode.

I am looking at the manual now and I only see an error message for the DRL. It does not appear to have an error message for a headlight completely out?

So the question is now, who has this ballast and will it work with any LED bulbs?

I am not going to spend $250 for bulbs, thats a bit much.

Any thoughts? :?:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I found the original halogen low beams were not bright enough; also, as the projector lenses have relatively little stray light, my car was hard to see from aside at night (no running lights in EU spec...!) and had a couple of close calls where other cars intended to drive straight through me...

I went for a cheap CANBUS 2x35W HID kit which puts out over 3 times as much light, which works out well. Beam pattern is good with a sharp cutoff, the 5000K 'white' color looks good, the output is more than adequate.
I have not been flashed once in almost 4 years except for the one time that I accidentally had the high beams on too... :eek:

I hardly noticed having the fogs on with the HID low beams, so I put some cheap LEDs in and use them as DRLs.

HIDs are less suited for high beams as they take several seconds to get to normal brightness.

As cheap HID kits are both cheaper and brighter than LED kits I would recommend HIDs for lows rather than LEDs.
I got a CANBUS kit, but apparently non-CANBUS kits work just as well in the Insight; you won't get MID errors. You won't get errors anyway, even when a lamp is out or both.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I bought myself a pair of these "40W 5000LM PHILIPS/CREE LUXEON LED Headlight" back in May. They shipped from Hong Kong. That listing isn't current, but you should be able the same ones with an ebay search.

I'm very happy with them. They're noticeably brighter and less yellow than stock, but they're not really 5000 lumens. Probably closer to 3000 lumens and the beam pattern is the same. I don't know for sure if they're any more annoying to oncoming traffic, but I haven't had anyone signalling me thinking my brights were on. I was planning on maybe modifying their current limiting circuit if they were too bright or if they seemed to get too hot, but neither has been an issue yet.

Edit: just realize I was on the 2nd gen forum. Not sure how relevant my experiences are with those specific bulbs, but I do think LED headlights do have a competitive value compared to HIDs at this point and have their advantages. The quality of any particular bulb or setup can vary a lot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jazzyjeff,

I went for LEDs for my low beams only. The headache of finding LED bulbs that could could operate like tradition bulbs in the Insights DRL/high beam socket didn't seem worth it to me.

I'm really satisfied with my current setup. Great visibility and no error codes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The excellent xenondepot LED headlights mentioned here earlier have a lower priced alternative, also sold by xenondepot. They worked very well for me. http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-Xtreme-LED-kit-p/xt-led-h11.htm

I had a pair of these, actually a previous version of the item, in my '96 Accord (but in the 9006 design spec, for that car). It pertains here, because the Accord had separate low and high beam bulbs, similar to the Gen 2 Insight. I only installed the LEDs in the low beam housings. They were so good that I never felt the need to spend the money to put LEDs in the high beam housings. When I sold the Accord, I saved the LED "bulbs" and gave them to my son. He's still using them, in his 2004 Accord. Beam pattern was and is excellent - I got flashed once or twice over a year of use. However, I did need to adjust the aim downward some, to put the horizontal cutoff at the correct height.

The version I had was made with two square emitter chips on each side of the "stick". Total four chips per "bulb". These chips were about 1/4" or 5/16" on each side, at least double the width of the chips used in the current version. The newer smaller chips give a more precise beam pattern, because the smaller chips can better approximate the tiny light source location of the original halogens. The chips in xenondepot's current versions of the bulb (high and lower priced), look to be less than 1/8" across. Also, both of their current designs have some shielding built onto the "stick". This approximates the shielding built into the front of most halogen bulbs, preventing light from shooting straight forward. In fact, xenondepot's shielding may be even more effective than what can be built into a halogen bulb.

The version I used, and their current one, use a braided (anodized) copper ribbon heat sink instead of a small fan. It did the job summer and winter, never got hot to the touch, and the "bulbs" still work today. I have more confidence in this than in a miniature cooling fan that can fail without warning.

My Gen 1 Insight uses a single hi/low "bulb". I plan on getting the current version of the LED "bulb" in the link above, in the next week or two.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The excellent xenondepot LED headlights mentioned here earlier have a lower priced alternative, also sold by xenondepot. They worked very well for me. H11 LED Headlight Kit | H11 LED Foglight Upgrade

I had a pair of these, actually a previous version of the item, in my '96 Accord (but in the 9006 design spec, for that car). It pertains here, because the Accord had separate low and high beam bulbs, similar to the Gen 2 Insight. I only installed the LEDs in the low beam housings. They were so good that I never felt the need to spend the money to put LEDs in the high beam housings. When I sold the Accord, I saved the LED "bulbs" and gave them to my son. He's still using them, in his 2004 Accord. Beam pattern was and is excellent - I got flashed once or twice over a year of use. However, I did need to adjust the aim downward some, to put the horizontal cutoff at the correct height.

The version I had was made with two square emitter chips on each side of the "stick". Total four chips per "bulb". These chips were about 1/4" or 5/16" on each side, at least double the width of the chips used in the current version. The newer smaller chips give a more precise beam pattern, because the smaller chips can better approximate the tiny light source location of the original halogens. The chips in xenondepot's current versions of the bulb (high and lower priced), look to be less than 1/8" across. Also, both of their current designs have some shielding built onto the "stick". This approximates the shielding built into the front of most halogen bulbs, preventing light from shooting straight forward. In fact, xenondepot's shielding may be even more effective than what can be built into a halogen bulb.

The version I used, and their current one, use a braided (anodized) copper ribbon heat sink instead of a small fan. It did the job summer and winter, never got hot to the touch, and the "bulbs" still work today. I have more confidence in this than in a miniature cooling fan that can fail without warning.

My Gen 1 Insight uses a single hi/low "bulb". I plan on getting the current version of the LED "bulb" in the link above, in the next week or two.
Brucepick,

Did you install the xenondepot LED bulbs in in Gen 1 insight? If yes what is your opinion. I am in need of new headlight bulbs and am considering trying LED's.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just installed these:

Hi beam: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Oslamp-Single-Beam-Led-Car-Headlight-Kits-9005-Car-Headlight-Bulbs-Copper-Heat-Sink-HB3-Automobile/32751078270.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.evhm3t

Low beam: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Oslamp-Single-Beam-H11-Car-Headlight-Kits-Fanless-Copper-H9-Led-Head-Light-Bulbs-H8-Automobile/32750257275.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.evhm3t

I have no issues with fitment other than the fact that the cooling braid and the little transformer box for the high beams are enclosed inside the large sealed grey compartment behind the light. They just barely fit and allowed the compartment to close and seal. In my opinion, this is a silly design. I turned them on, and was able to measure the temp of the base using an infrared thermometer after running the vehicle and headlights about 10 minutes. They were around 110 degrees F, ambient temp was around 50 degrees. I am a bit concerned that cramming all the cooling fins and the little transformer box will cause overheating, and will be checking them soon.

As far as light, they put out much more light than the conventional bulbs that were in there, of a very white color. I will try to get pictures once I get the headlights adjusted correctly. The high beam bulbs I removed even had big bulges on the side of the bulb, so I am sure they were about to fail.

I will update this post.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Striider,

What about the daytime running lights? How do these LED lights perform with the reduced voltage of the DRL on the Insight and on most Hondas? Do they flicker with the DRL's on?

That seems to be the issue with the HB3/9005 High Beam on the Insight, hence why most people do not use the LED's for the high beams.

Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have noticed no flicker, but I will video and post soon.

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts
Are these in the G1 or the G2? I thought DRLs were only in Canadian cars. ???

Sam

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thanks for posting +1!
I have no issues with fitment other than the fact that the cooling braid and the little transformer box for the high beams are enclosed inside the large sealed grey compartment behind the light. They just barely fit and allowed the compartment to close and seal. In my opinion, this is a silly design. I turned them on, and was able to measure the temp of the base using an infrared thermometer after running the vehicle and headlights about 10 minutes. They were around 110 degrees F, ambient temp was around 50 degrees. I am a bit concerned that cramming all the cooling fins and the little transformer box will cause overheating, and will be checking them soon.
Agreed; silly design. But you can cut a hole in the plastic cover and let the braided heat sink hang out. The covers aren't really necessary, it seems, as the low beams have none anyway.

·
Registered
194 Posts
cost vs benefit ratio still seems way off...

a good HID conversion kit is still the best bang for the buck performance for our modest little race cars in my experience.

With that said i have led's swapped for most of the other interior/exterior lights aside from the headlights high and low beams.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well these are as cheap as the low end HID kits and consume the same amount of power, but they start up immediately at full brightness.
That is a must for high beams.

One of my HIDs failed after maybe 300 hours of use.
LEDs are supposed to last at least 50,000 hours. The red ones on my alarm clock still work after 300.000 hours :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Right, these were $73.80 and delivered to my door in a week. I am hoping these LED's last longer and they appear to be built very solidly with no moving parts, which is a plus in my book. Some other LED models have fans, which I do not think is a recipe for longevity and reliability. If these are assembled with quality led's and do not overheat, I anticipate a good long life. I am willing to be the test subject for you guys on this, and put the old bulbs in the spare compartment to carry with me in case of failure.

For comparison, I paid $23 for a pair of normal halogens at an auto parts store for my Suburban last week, and those were the mid-range bulbs, so if I had replace 4 bulbs it would have $46+tax. Not a massive difference for a large gain in performance in my book.

It is blistering cold outside and I have been under the weather for the last 2 days, but I will get that video done. Wife reports that she likes the headlights so far. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Inspired by this thread I purchased a pair of LED headlights off Amazon that said they worked as DRLs and brights.

I went with the fan-cooling model, as I have another pair for my low beams and they work great.

Unfortunately, the fan is too big to get the bulbs installed even without the additional cover attached.

Heat sink versions are probably the way to go...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts