Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found an old thread for LED lights but its 2 years old.

has anyone recently changed to LEDs on the cars dome, map, parking, and marker lights.

I have been on super bright leds website and the have some with 260 degrees of light now and was wondering if anyone has used these.

in the old post people were using amber lights in the front side makers. why use amber versus white if the stock bulb is white anyways?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was just thinking about changing out the exterior lights other than the headlights. Stop, tail, turn, and parking. I will post back if I do and how it goes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive been on superbrights website and i see they have a new 55 lumen led that will fit in our driving lights.

i dont konw if im going to mess with the turn or brake lights. dont wanna mess with some of the old problems people were having with regen and stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I was just thinking about changing out the exterior lights other than the headlights. Stop, tail, turn, and parking. I will post back if I do and how it goes.
It's funny you mention that, as I have also been wondering about LED tail lights.

But my purpose is two-fold:

1) Save some energy while driving
2) Be able to create some side lights that are mounted on the 4 foot long tail extension to the car.

I would really like to use LED's that face rearward, but are flush mounted on the sides of the rear extension. This is for visibility and safety reasons, so that other vehicles can tell there is a tail extension on the car.

I'm real interested to see what you find out.

As for the post that is two years old, it seems that quite a few people had issues when trying to use LED's for some reason.

Jim.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I replaced the tail light, corner marker, and license plate light bulbs with LEDs from superbrightleds several years ago. The tail light bulbs are still going but the smaller bulbs did not last as long as the incandescents they replaced. I'd have to check my records for the actual lifetimes but I seem to recall one died in under 1 year and the others lasted less than 2 years.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well im hoping that in two years the technology has grown in leaps and bounds.

Im going to order some tomorrrow. and im going to get the 55 lumen bulb in cool whilte that looks like a bullet shell casing for the driving lights.

did you use the colored leds for the colored reflectors like superbright recommends?

how bright of bulb and what angle did you use for the license plate lights?

my other concern is how to pick the bulb for sure on interior. they keep showing lumens rating for the bulb but that doesnt tell me crap.

im going to get a brighter one for the dome light but dont know how bright of red bulbs for the map lights.

i want these for the driving lights but dont know if the light has enough tolerance for this longer bulb.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/WLED-xLX.htm

but the length of the bulb is 28.62mm and according to a spec sheet a 168 bulb is 26.924 mm. anyone know if this will still fit or not?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, it looks like the bulbs I ordered no longer have the same part numbers or are no longer sold.

I used amber for the corner markers, red for the tail light, white for license and front "driving" lights. They actually did look good while they were working. The red and white produced truer colors than with the dingy yellowish incandescent bulbs.

It appears from my receipt I used 65 degrees for the whites. The license plate light probably should have been wider, but that was the best available choice at the time.

IIRC the small LED bulbs were slightly longer than stock, but there was plenty of room in the housings.

Here are what I used:
7443-15 - Red
WLED 6-LED - White 0.65
WLED 6-LED - Amber

HTH

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im wanting the white ones that were listed in the link in my previous post for the drving lights. im just worried about the length.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wish I could help you. The WLED-x6 LED bulbs I used were only 21.25mm. Maybe you could try adding a blob of glue to the end of a standard bulb and see if it still fits?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The other thought I had was to use a dowel pin or blunt screwdriver to test the depth to the lip of the "reflector." I don't remember how difficult the access was, but maybe use your thumbnail or a permanent marker to mark the dowel pin. I would leave a little cushion for heat dissipation (so the bulb is not pressed up against the plastic bezel).

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
i will try a couple things this weekend cause i dont wanna buy a bunch of stuff that doesnt fit. lol
What did you end up doing?

In Sweden, all vehicles must drive with front-facing white lights on. These lights must be bright enough to be easily seen in full daylight. Most cars seem to have their low-beam headlights wired to turn on with the ignition. Canadian and European Insights apply only 6 volts to the headlights (not sure which beam) in running light mode (i.e., with the ignition switch on but the headlights off).

Having a U.S. Insight, my only option at present is to run with my low beams and taillights on at all times. Now that I have MIMA, I can see that this causes a continual forced regen to occur to keep the 12 v. battery charged. I can use MIMA to provide the necessary regen at more opportune times, but the better solution would be to use more energy-efficient daytime running lights. I might be able to replace the rather dim 5 v. incandescent 168 minibulbs in the front-facing parking lights with something like these 2 w. high-power LED's. Then I could wire these front-facing parking lights to turn on with the ignition with the rear lights turning on only when the parking lights are turned on manually. That would make my daytime running light power draw only 4 w., a small fraction of the power I currently use.

I am a little concerned that these longer LED's might be too long. Were you able to use the longer LED's? If so, were they noticeably brighter than the standard bulbs? The LED that I'm interested in claims to project 105 lumens of light, but I have no idea how that compares with the standard bulb.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
unfortunately nothing yet. i have all kinds of things come up requiring money to be spent on other things.

motor mounts
tie rod ends
poured a stamped concrete patio and landscaped
and on and on.

if i get a bonus from work this month i will order a set and let you know.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Art, I have done somewhat the same as you are thinking of doing, i replaced
the 5W parking lights with these LED's. Positionslys 3W/5W SMD 5000K (CANBUS) - Astina.dk

Due to my still not taxed car i have not had it on the road with these bulbs yet, but standing in the garage there is a realy big difference between these & the
original 5W bulbs, original is almost yellow compared to these.

Unfortunately due to the fittings used for the parking lights, these LED bulbs are the brightest available ( at least what i have been able to find) otherwise i would have bought a pair of these: Matronics - Hvid SMD LED pære - 12V (21Watt) 7440

They are rated an light output of 21W, which should be more than enough
as DRL.

I have measured the inside of my headlamps, and there should be space for a bulb that is up to 9 cm. long.

If you want to make your DRL legal, you will have to get a DRL module that
automatically turns your DRL on when engine running, and turns DRL off again
as soon as you turn on your parking lights or low/high beam.
Out of the back of my head i believe the parts must be E87 approoved.

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
Art, I have done somewhat the same as you are thinking of doing, i replaced
the 5W parking lights with these LED's. Positionslys 3W/5W SMD 5000K (CANBUS) - Astina.dk

Due to my still not taxed car i have not had it on the road with these bulbs yet, but standing in the garage there is a realy big difference between these & the
original 5W bulbs, original is almost yellow compared to these.
Your photos look good. Have you read any reviews about these lights? Unfortunately, many LED lights seem to fail rather quickly.

I have measured the inside of my headlamps, and there should be space for a bulb that is up to 9 cm. long.
Are you saying that a bulb up to 9 cm long could fit in the parking light enclosure? That's way longer than the standard bulb or any multi-diode high-intensity LED that I have seen being sold. However, I'm a bit concerned about heat in the parking light enclosure, so I probably would not want to push the wattage too high.

If you want to make your DRL legal, you will have to get a DRL module that automatically turns your DRL on when engine running, and turns DRL off again as soon as you turn on your parking lights or low/high beam. Out of the back of my head i believe the parts must be E87 approoved.
I think that my Insight does not have to follow those regulations because it is an imported U.S. car. My Insight currently has no actual daytime running lights. I just turn on my headlights whenever I drive (I sometimes forget). So I think that I could just turn on my parking lights if there were bright enough.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I remember reading about some of the problems that some Insight owners were having regarding use of LED tail lights and such.

Well, I can now say that I have been using SuperBrightLEDs for several days now and everything on the car seems to be working, including regen.

The lights are not the stock Honda affair but actually mounted on the custom tail extension as seen below.

The LED's work for me.

Jim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Jim, Very sweet, any test results yet?:)
Yes, I took pictures of the brightness of the standard bulbs and compared to pictures to the LED light intensities and both are very similar.

Jim.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Are the LED's highly directional? Would someone approaching from a 45° angle have any trouble seeing you? That's been a conventional drawback of the technology, and I think some reflective strips would mitigate the problem somewhat.

It looks like you still have the same illuminated width as stock, which is nice.

Obviously we're all looking forward to data on the new aeromod, and I don't mean the radio antenna removal. Btw, if you relocate the antenna to inside the car (or inside the tail), you retain most of your radio reception.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts