Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electrical genius I am not, so all this I am a battery stuff I am trying to learning quickly. But we all know that friction is our MPG‘s biggest enemy. Has anybody on here ever thought of ceramic wheel bearings? These are used all the time and drag cars so that there is no loss of horse power. My friend gets his from a guy in Pittsburgh and he said he put them on his regular car to get better gas mileage. If anybody has the exact size of the bearing please let me know. I have not actually taken mine off yet to see how it’s built but I have been checking with companies already to see if they will make me a set when I get the measurements.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Electrical genius I am not, so all this I am a battery stuff I am trying to learning quickly. But we all know that friction is our MPG‘s biggest enemy. Has anybody on here ever thought of ceramic wheel bearings? These are used all the time and drag cars so that there is no loss of horse power. My friend gets his from a guy in Pittsburgh and he said he put them on his regular car to get better gas mileage. If anybody has the exact size of the bearing please let me know. I have not actually taken mine off yet to see how it’s built but I have been checking with companies already to see if they will make me a set when I get the measurements.
Don't know about the back, but the front bearings' outer race is also the hub - one piece. So they will make this custom hub/bearing? Cool! If I were you, I would just buy one of the cheap bearings from Rock Auto and hand out to them to produce. At some maybe it will become our last source of bearings?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
There has been significant discussion over at Ecomodder. I believe the conclusion was (if I remember correctly) that wheel bearing friction is a sufficiently small portion of total friction as not to be worth putting a lot of effort into. Other things like piston rings, oil viscosity in engine and transmission, and especially tire rolling resistance are all more significant.

That said, it certainly can't hurt.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Alfred State College -//Green Grand Prix--- I have talked with the head mechanic I have his phone number they use the ceramic bearings on their 2003 Honda insight .6075874111. also told him about the battery. Bypass and he said their battery was shot , maybe they should Use the bypass in competition .-/////// Trans logic Green Grand Prix 2003 Honda insight.//////// It's on YouTube .check it out. I worked on my brakes check it out. I worked on my brakes two weeks ago there seems to be quite a bit of resistance to spin with all the grease on the bearing .i've never tested or seen the parts.but if you want to explore possibility just trying to help. They also use 4 spare donuts on the car.remove 800 pounds from the car I don't know how . I guess it just adds up it's the gravity of the situation.They want to win.had a picture of the car but cleared it out . Regards The phone number is to the college.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts