Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I didn't see a thread for new comers, so I figure I'll just introduce myself here. Seeing the variety of topics posted, it seems appropriate.. Ill also go over some of my concerns of my insight so this is also a "functional" Thread.

First Off, Hello from PreludePower.com! This is where I come from, and am familiar with the rules, and structures of Honda Forums. I had owned a '98 Lude, and had grand plans for it... Until in November of 2015, when it was totaled in an accident.

Needing a new car, I sought out a car that was not so common, was from my "brand" and something I could afford. I arrived at the Insight. Why? Well, this is good news for 2nd Gen owners on this site. My ex bought a 2013 base model, right before we split. I liked it a lot for what it was, and then remembered the older (in my opinion better) model. Her car had some issues here and there, so I have experience in both generations.

My car is a 2003 CVT blue Insight, with 86000 miles, averaging 52 mpg on a good tank of gas. I paid $3900 for it, and has been one of the best financial decisions of my life. In my experience with this car thus far, I am happy with the fact the IMA allows for acceleration comparable to modern cars, and the looks I receive driving, as nobody around here knows what this car is!

Of course in the beginning it had some small issues. I have fixed some of the important ones, such as bad tranny fluid, bad brake fluid, lights out, dragging undercarriage parts, tire inflation, etc... mostly small stuff. Upon looking to repair some of the body damage, I found out that the front end was in a wreck at some point. Lots of damage, but still functional

So here's what I'm working on now. Feel free to comment, as I could use as much help as possible.

-Exploring the possibility of a grid charger to extend battery life
-FINDING a place to purchase (without breaking the bank) splash guards, and underbody parts to replace the damaged or missing ones. This includes the bumpercover, and wheel wells.
-Tightening up the left mirror. Its loose, and I cant find out why just yet.

Most of those above are MPG related. I'm trying to boost efficiency as much as possible. I also have to bend some structural parts in the engine bay back to their original position, so my hood latches back correctly, buy a Honda insignia, find a grill insert, fix some brackets here and there... etc.

All in all, its a highly functional mess. I could live with it the way it is, but what kind of enthusiast would that make me? lol. Anyway, I am very happy to become a part of the forums, and look forward to posting along with all of you to help solve issues, talk about random stuff, show off our hypermiling, and even learn about modifications! See you in the forums!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Welcome to the obsession :D

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Welcome Sean!
There are site sponsors who sell some great gridchargers. Prices vary with features.
Member ddhollon in KY is a reliable used part vendor.
Be sure to mark your calendar for "the big one". 26-28 Aug in Indianapolis for the biggest meet ever!
Good to have you.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Welcome, and best of luck with your Insight! I have your car, but a silver 2001, purchased new. 92,000 miles, 55.6 lmpg.

Your mirror is loose because one or more of the three balls (for lack of a better description) that fit into the plate that is used to adjust the angle of the mirror surface has detached itself from the plate. If you're lucky, you just need to press the mirror firmly onto the plate, and the problem disappears.

Get something rigid and flat that fits inside the mirror nacelle (a boxed deck of cards works well), and press HARD until you hear the balls click into place. The plate will move and make a ratcheting noise, don't worry about it: When it stops moving, you'll be able to seat the mirror into it. Then use your mirror adjustment control to move it back to where you want it.

Good luck, I hope the plastic that holds the balls itself is not broken (which would mean new mirror or at least the innards, sorry)... Hope this is all there is to it. :D

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
Welcome Sean,

86k on an '03, nice find and congrats. With practice your mpg's will improve, you'll be getting into the 60's depending on conditions.

As for grid chargers, several owners post plans on how to diy build one for little cost. Jeff at Hybridautomotive makes a 'simple' grid charger and discharger for moderate cost and Matt at HybridReVolt makes the 'universal' grid charger for a bit more. Both guys are highly respected members here on IC. Both are good units, just depends on how much detail and functionality the user wants. I use the simple model.

KLR3CYL (Scott) makes an underbody panel that replaces the front 3. On the thread there's a list folk add their name to. Scott chimes in on about page 2 or 3 of the thread. I have one of his pans under each of my cars, as do many other owners.

Freezin4 above mentioned the big meet up in Indy, it will be awesome and include some of the very brightest Insight people there are. I see you're in VA. Keep an eye on the socials forum for meet ups with the 'mid-atlantic' owners. We try to arrange for meets in the MD area.

Happy Insighting,

..Bob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am DEFINITELY gonna look into those plates. Anyone know how much they run? Looking through that thread now.

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
I am DEFINITELY gonna look into those plates. Anyone know how much they run? Looking through that thread now.
Ballpark : around a c-note. Talk to Scott to get the latest info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts