Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a letter in the mail from Honda about an issue with the control module(s) overcharging the battery and causing them to fail. It says one or two of the control modules will be replaced free of charge and that their records say we haven't had it done yet.

Now this would be fine and dandy but we (supposedly) had the battery, BCM, and MCM replaced in early 2006. Why would we be getting this letter if these control modules had already been replaced? The dealer who did the replacement was plain bad. First, they have us come in but then find the battery wasn't delivered yet. A month later, it comes in and they install the battery and the other components. The next week, we get a call about a software update and we eventually get them to admit they only installed the battery and not the control modules. When we went to pick it up, the service manager tells us they were having some problems with the new modules but finally got it working.

After getting this mail from Honda, I'm thinking they put the original one's back in and called it a day. We'll be bringing the car up to the new Honda dealer in town and getting them to check it out. Is there any way of telling if these components were actually replaced?

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I received the same info (on a post card a few days ago) I'm in the same boat - the parts were replaced before I bought the car (from Florida) and I have the paperwork from the time it was done in late 2006. I wonder if Honda's records are not correct.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Its a great idea when buying a used Insight to go ahead and register it on Honda's owner websight.
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?page=/prod_home.asp
We bought two 2000 Insights this year and registered them both. Once registered the website will have some information about your car, if its had recall work done, where it first sold, etc.

Our Insight with 122,000mi had an IMA light come on two weeks ago and the local dealer installed a new battery pack and control module, $5600 bill, for free.

For the Insight with 188,000mi we received the same postcard you got, about two weeks ago, and we just got her back this morning with a new computer, also free.

Neither car drives any different so for all I know all they did was oil the squirrel's cage bearing... :D

But we are very impressed with Honda and the effort and expense they have gone to just in the past month for an owner of their used cars. We have to sell one of the Insights and have already bought an Element (Honda Certified Used).

Probably won't help you, but our local dealer is Honda of Pasadena in Pasadena, California.

-John
Code:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my 2005 CVT in May with 24K miles, (now at 26.5K). One of the first things I did in May or June was register the car and VIN on the Honda website. I have not receeived any notice regarding this issue. Is it specific to certain models or years?

Richard
Miami, FL

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it should only affect early models. Honda changed the control modules in '03 (I think).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is this what you are speaking about?
"Description 00-01 INSIGHT ECM
Date 12/9/2002
Type Emissions Campaign
Status Fixed
"
"Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has determined that a defect relating to emissions regulations exists on certain 2000-01 Insights. Your vehicle's engine control module (ECM) does not correctly identify all malfunctions of the emissions system. Because of this, the vehicle does not meet state and federal emissions regulations."

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, it's a new one. Not emissions related.

·
Registered
118 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts