Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How many modules will safely fit in an insight with passenger seat removed.
Each FoMoCo module weighs 26 pounds, so each five module 'set' weighs 130 pounds.
IMO, at most you could carry two sets (ten modules), but to stay under the car's 360 pound weight limit you'd only want one set (five modules).

I might be able to assist logistics in a small way. My tahoe will also be returned for so ill have a lot of storage but won't know my route until closer to the date. Generally from California I go east to Phoenix area and then to New mexico or Colorado or both. I wouldn't have the full tahoe for storage as I use part of it for sleeping in while traveling.
People en route who have filled out the reservation form:
@tervic (Erie, Colorado).
@hondarider90 (Scottsdale, AZ)

What date are you taking this trip? The FoMoCo modules won't make it to LA until early-to-mid November.

As a side note on that how many modules are expected to go to Wisconsin? It always seemed like it had an inordinate number of insights per capita.
So far nobody has reserved modules in Madison.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Would probably be January at the earliest. That's when Scott thinks the car will be done. That would he the California to Wisconsin trip with the insight. The tahoe to colorado would be shortly after. Might spend some time with family in Wisconsin.

I can give you a heads up on when I'm picking each vehicle back up.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Sounds like from a size perspective I'd just be taking my set plus another one with the insight.
Hi Hondarider90,

Erie, CO is 20 miles north of Denver, just west of I-25.
I'd be happy to kick in some gas money if you come this way..
Thanks,
Tervic

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I'll take this to a private conversation...

·
Registered
404 Posts
@hondarider90 why don't you just have Eric order a bunch of modules from battery hookup or mudder? Battery hookup charges very little for shipping and I imagine Eric should purchase a bunch of them anyway to have on hand.

(Edit) A larger freight shipment from mudder would be a lot cheaper then shipping individually by ground.

I'm curious if Eric is charging a flat rate or doing this by the hour. Is he including a warranty?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm only purchasing my set from mudder. Did you tag the wrong person? I'm just offering to help with logistics if it works out. I've already agreed to get them from mudder. Eric never suggested getting them through him that I recall. The amount of work mudder puts in on a set would probably cost a fortune to have Eric do.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The amount of work mudder puts in on a set would probably cost a fortune to have Eric do.
That's a good point. I was just thinking that Eric might need sets for other conversions and it would be cheaper if he had them all shipped at once via freight. Ordering multiple sets in bulk and combining shipping will be cheaper from mudder or other sources. You might want to see if he is planning on doing other conversions and if you guys want to combine shipping.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
Are there enough Mid-Atlantic customers to make pallet shipping to me an option? Remember that I already have my packs and will be testing them with my PL8 equipment.:)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I was just told by Eric that all non stock projects including mine are on indefinite hold. That won't change anything as far as the tahoe going to colorado and new mexico but it would change the insight going to Wisconsin and carrying a second pack.

On that note where do I take this thing now to have it converted?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm in Madison and plan to be on the installer list but it doesn't sound like @hondarider90 is local.

We have been talking about taking our Citrus to Jue motors to fix an oil leak and visit my brother in LA. I would probably upgrade my brothers insight to the 47 hour FoMoCo batteries at that point as well as redo his suspension. The plan is for me to bring my tools so it wouldn't be that hard to do a second battery install while I am out there. I will be converting my silver insight to FoMoCo before I do my brothers so you could be my third install if you're interested. These things get easier and quicker to install the more you do. You don't want to pay by the hour for somebody's first pancake. That's why I was curious if you were going to pay by the hour or the job. Half of the first install is just learning the process.

I can provide a limited warranty against installation mistakes on my end. However, due to the nature of the product I would not be able to offer a long-term warranty and I would need a charge for any technical support from let's say 30 days after the install. Mudder will also be available for private technical support at the rate of $100 per hour. Public support is available through this thread during the beta period.

My brother will be having 5 modules sent to LA so if you want to coordinate with me we could combine shipping. I don't care much if the modules come from BH or mudder. I say whatever is best for mudder is preferred for me. So if he just wants them gone then we should buy them from him or if most of the batteries are spoken for then BH is good too.

Another idea would be to see if it's possible for you to have mudder do the install himself at his extended technical support rate. That would save you maybe $500 on shipping. I have no idea if he would be interested in doing that though.

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My brother will be having 5 modules sent to LA so if you want to coordinate with me we could combine shipping.
There's certainly a bulk shipment heading for LA... the plan right now is for QTY50 modules to arrive at Jue Motors in early November. If that doesn't work out, then the backup plan is to send them common courier to @Balto.

I don't care much if the modules come from BH or mudder. I say whatever is best for mudder is preferred for me. So if he just wants them gone then we should buy them from him or if most of the batteries are spoken for then BH is good too.
Right now I have ~QTY40 modules available. I don't care where you buy them from... they're certainly cheaper from BH, but then of course you'll need to convert them yourself.

Another idea would be to see if it's possible for you to have mudder do the install himself at his extended technical support rate. That would save you maybe $500 on shipping. I have no idea if he would be interested in doing that though.
Conceptually I'd love to install the entire LiBCM kit myself. However, I don't have the time to do that right now. If at some point in the future I find myself with gobs of free time (unlikely), I'll gladly offer installation service.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts