Honda Insight Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
It's a lot more more. At this point I can install it in about four hours start to finish, but I've done it many times already. No idea... wait for the videos next month to get a better idea what needs to happen.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I must shamefully admit, with significant mental relief, however:

I had, in fact, turned off IMA switch when I parked at the airport. My coworker has verified.

Apologies to mudder for having to take time to run calculations to determine if I was in the anti-goldilocks zone regarding firmware upload date vs. SOC on my parking date.

Relieved that I'm in the clear.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts

I had, in fact, turned off IMA switch when I parked at the airport. My coworker has verified.

Apologies to mudder for having to take time to run calculations to determine if I was in the anti-goldilocks zone regarding firmware upload date vs. SOC on my parking date.

Don't you love it when you make mistakes in all the right ways?

Reactions: mmdepace

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

No shame here...
...but I was excited to hear the datapoint "all is good; LiBCM turned itself off at 10% SoC".

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
I'm in the PNW. Been patiently waiting for linsight to finalize from beta as while I'm quite handy with a wrench, am less so when it comes to the electronics side.

If there's a California install party this year, I'm all ears and have the flexibility to make the trip down.

@Balto @Recovering_Gasaholic
Unfortunately that's not going to happen anytime soon with me. After getting accused by someone for ignoring them somewhat recently. Let me give a good explanation as to of why I don't have time for anything like this.

First off, I manage 40+ employees for security, for public transportation in the biggest county in the united states.

Secondly, I have a ton of projects and only 2 days a week(weekends) to do them, the list is as follow( a non-exhaustive list).

Pull engine/trans/interior/any useful parts off my rolled over 96 GJC
Pull the engine from my 96' Jeep GC, as well as the transmission and transfer case. Not to mention rewire the engine engine compartment and wire add-ins for air tanks, radios, on-board 120v power and more. I then have to install the powertrain from my rolled one to this one.
Pull and rebuild the engine and transmission on my 06' S60R which is currently blown up with no visible signs to as why, probably will just pull another engine from a junkyard car.
Pull, and rebuild a transmission for a 2007 Volvo S80 V8 transmission(torque converter go vrrr).
Finish my 70k mile 2004 Insight which needs a pack, and interior replacement.
Pull apart @Zoooms former insight that was put into a pole and junk the chassy.
Complete interior/drivetrain restoration on my SR20DET swapped '91 Sentra SE-R.
Engine/Transmission replacement on a 07(06?) Scion xB because my friend is too stupid to check oil levels.
Suspension/powertrain rebuild on a '91 Jeep wrangler. It's had a hard 230k miles and needs just about everything including an entire engine/chassy wiring harness done.
Assist my Dad with rebuilding the house, not limited to roof replacement, pool repair and general maintenance.

This list is non-exhaustive so I'll stop, but that should give everyone a good picture why I keep blowing off meets/gatherings like this. I love the insights and all the members of this community to death, but I simply cannot focus on group stuff right now when I have my own stuff to do. Most of the projects on my list are 2-4 week projects, with some (like the jeep) probably extending out to 6+. If I could quit my job and go full time Insight mechanic I would in a heartbeat, but with 10 badly herniated disks in my back/neck I cannot feasibly do work like that on a daily basis.

I hope everyone understands where I'm coming from, this isn't a complaint post, it's just an explanation for why I do what I do.

[Edits were to fix improper wording]

Reactions: NewOwner

·
Registered
404 Posts
@SkunkWorks

I'm available to do installations in Madison, Wisconsin at any time. I might also take a trip to LA if there is sufficient interest in having me do a group of installs while I'm there. My brother decided the five amp hour panasonic was fine for him he will not be upgrading to the 47 amp hour FoMoCo system. Still, it would be nice to have an excuse to visit him.

@hondarider90 indicated he might be interested in having me do his install but doesn't expect that the car would be ready from Scott untill January. I am flexible in regards to timing.

My father is in Idaho so it's possible that we can make a plans for me to do some PNW installs while visiting him at some point.

I'm also thinking about buying a larger batch of the FoMoCo batteries for installations in Madison, Wisconsin. It would be helpful to know if there are any locals who are interested in having me perform lithium installs on for them. Please send me a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Unfortunately that's not going to happen anytime soon with me. After getting accused by someone for ignoring them somewhat recently. Let me give a good explanation as to of why I don't have time for anything like this.

First off, I manage 40+ employees for security, for public transportation in the biggest county in the united states.

Secondly, I have a ton of projects and only 2 days a week(weekends) to do them, the list is as follow( a non-exhaustive list).

Pull engine/trans/interior/any useful parts off my rolled over 96 GJC
Pull the engine from my 96' Jeep GC, as well as the transmission and transfer case. Not to mention rewire the engine engine compartment and wire add-ins for air tanks, radios, on-board 120v power and more. I then have to install the powertrain from my rolled one to this one.
Pull and rebuild the engine and transmission on my 06' S60R which is currently blown up with no visible signs to as why, probably will just pull another engine from a junkyard car.
Pull, and rebuild a transmission for a 2007 Volvo S80 V8 transmission(torque converter go vrrr).
Finish my 70k mile 2004 Insight which needs a pack, and interior replacement.
Pull apart @Zoooms former insight that was put into a pole and junk the chassy.
Complete interior/drivetrain restoration on my SR20DET swapped '91 Sentra SE-R.
Engine/Transmission replacement on a 07(06?) Scion xB because my friend is too stupid to check oil levels.
Suspension/powertrain rebuild on a '91 Jeep wrangler. It's had a hard 230k miles and needs just about everything including an entire engine/chassy wiring harness done.
Assist my Dad with rebuilding the house, not limited to roof replacement, pool repair and general maintenance.

This list is non-exhaustive so I'll stop, but that should give everyone a good picture why I keep blowing off meets/gatherings like this. I love the insights and all the members of this community to death, but I simply cannot focus on group stuff right now when I have my own stuff to do. Most of the projects on my list are 2-4 week projects, with some (like the jeep) probably extending out to 6+. If I could quit my job and go full time Insight mechanic I would in a heartbeat, but with 10 badly herniated disks in my back/neck I cannot feasibly do work like that on a daily basis.

I hope everyone understands where I'm coming from, this isn't a complaint post, it's just an explanation for why I do what I do.

[Edits were to fix improper wording]
As someone who also has many projects and a busy work schedule, my hat is off to you. The variety of skillsets these projects require definitely makes you one of the more interesting Insight forum members here. I am sorry to hear about the herniated disks. I hope you are able to someday find a way through that.

And, you live in a neat area of SoCal. I gotta get back there someday.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Looking in the other thread, I see there have been battery shipping difficulties. As it turns out, I'm planning a trip to Chattanooga in two weeks, and will likely be driving my car back to Vermont. As such, I'm willing to load the thing up with batteries to drop off on the way. If anyone within a reasonable detour is interested in trusting me to deliver batteries to them, and it can be established that all parties are comfortable with this, shoot me a PM. I plan to have Scott's springs and the GAZ shocks installed by then, so I'm willing to distribute up to 3 sets of batteries. I promise my rates are much better than FedEx's.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I'm guessing Colorado wouldn't be a "reasonable detour"? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: ttsgeb

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I still haven't received the last custom part required to ship these FoMoCo kits.
At this point even if I received them tomorrow, there isn't enough time to shoot and edit the installation videos prior to Thanksgiving... which I'm spending in Wisconsin with my wife's family.

So obviously these kits won't ship until early December. If you've been following along for a while now, this slipping schedule won't surprise you ;). It'll be ready when it's ready. I'm excited to share it.

·
Registered
y2k silver'sight, hch1 5spd, snow tires
160 Posts
hey mudder, i filled out a purchase form, looked at my browser tonight after work and everything was blank, let me know if you didn't get it as i have terrible cell towers, happy holidays in wisconsin. if you have room for haz mat in the trunk i might be in range

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
hey mudder, i filled out a purchase form, looked at my browser tonight after work and everything was blank, let me know if you didn't get it as i have terrible cell towers, happy holidays in wisconsin. if you have room for haz mat in the trunk i might be in range
Form received.
I have tentative plans to bring a set to @Tynow on this trip. If that doesn't work out I'll let you know.
I'll be in Madison next week, and then again for Christmas.

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
It's the brand new MeanWell UHP-1500-230. I make a few internal modifications for use with LiBCM (schematic will be in my next git commit). It's a slick unit, but I'm a bit annoyed to find out that it requires additional external circuitry for continuous safe operation at 120 volts (obviously not a problem in the UK). The datasheet is a bit lacking on the details; I've been working with their engineering team to improve it.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
It's the brand new MeanWell UHP-1500-230. I make a few internal modifications for use with LiBCM (schematic will be in my next git commit). It's a slick unit, but I'm a bit annoyed to find out that it requires additional external circuitry for continuous safe operation at 120 volts (obviously not a problem in the UK). The datasheet is a bit lacking on the details; I've been working with their engineering team to improve it.
Thank you - one ordered from Mouser (they only had two).

By negative logic, do you mean that power supply shutoff requires a line pulled high, so if what is pulling up the line loses power, the supply turns on?

I will be looking forward to the next commit to learn more about the issue at 120V vs 240V operation.

For my LTO projects I am favoring redundancy on certain things. Any reason I should not employ both internal and external shut off circuits as independent shutdowns? (My place has taken a lightning strike before and I've seen what crazy things it can do to electronics, including leaving stuff half working.)

Finding the insulator failure must have been fun....

41 - 60 of 92 Posts