Honda Insight Forum banner
121 - 140 of 183 Posts

· Registered
y2k silver'sight, hch1 5spd, snow tires
293 Posts
they aren't seconds, i received 4 out of 5, i ordered soon after you posted they were available two fridays ago. yours are probably almost in washington?? haz shipping is slow. maybe they had to wait for the route to accommodate..

i unboxed and visually inspected for cuts knicks and dents, mine are nice looking.

if you see any damage cover it with tape and or just get it outside away from property, if you have a temperature gun you can make sure there isn't a warm cell in the module. measure the bottom, store them on their sides.

i wouldn't worry, the waiting part about killed me more than anything. i checked voltage with a meter at the taps and mine are resting at 47.5 - 47.6, which is in spec for what they are. that's about all you can do for now.

if anything i said doesn't make sense, im sure someone smarter will correct me.
Edit: technically speaking they are seconds, just from cars;)

· Linsight Designer
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
They shipped my modules and they should be here later this week. Without LiBCM, I'm not sure how to go about testing them out. It would be disappointing if they were indeed @mudder returns.
If your modules are damaged (particularly on the bottom), post a picture and I'll see if it's one I returned.

· Linsight Designer
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
haz shipping is slow
Were these actually shipped as class 9 dangerous goods? Can you post a picture of the boxes they came in? Note that simply having the UN3480 sticker on the side doesn't mean the package was shipped properly... it will also need some red and white striped paperwork to be legit.

AFAIK, nobody is shipping these modules legally through the mail right now. There is a legal avenue to ship them via UPS or FedEx, but it's very expensive. When I looked into shipping these legally, it was going to cost an additional $375 over the regular shipping costs.

· Linsight Designer
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
That's a 'negative' on being shipped correctly. These modules exceed 300 Wh, and are thus fully regulated hazardous materials. The labeling in the picture you posted is approved for modules up to 300 Wh, shipped without any other equipment, whereas each FoMoCo module is 2070 Wh.

Notes on the picture you posted:
-The "Cargo Aircraft Only" label is specifically NOT allowed on fully regulated hazardous materials; these modules CANNOT be transferred via cargo aircraft because they exceed 300 Wh.
-The maximum weight allowed for any single package containing only lithium modules is 20 kg... QTY2 47Ah FoMoCo modules weigh 23.6 kg.
-The 'UN3480' graphic is not a diamond and does not contain the proper hazardous material class (i.e. '9').

The following picture shows the correct labelling to ship these modules:
Audio equipment Font Bumper Gas Electronic instrument

Notes:
-RED/WHT striped "Hazardous Materials Shipping Papers Enclosed" (i.e. OP900L paperwork).
-UN3480 placard with '9' hazmat category (must be present on side with label and at least one other side)
-Packaging includes 'UN' approval (e.g. "UN 4H/Z15/S/22/USA/LINSIGHT").
-Each package has a $75 hazardous materials surcharge.

I am not calling anyone out... I am not mentioning anyone by name. I'm just showing how you properly ship these modules.

· Registered
y2k silver'sight, hch1 5spd, snow tires
293 Posts
my final package arrived yesterday afternoon from the last batch of module's through BH store. the first four looked great, this one had a close call and i decided to quarantine it. i believe it happened prior to boxing... the box looked undamaged. the plastic wrap was torn as seen below. luckily it's been very mild weather and i didn't have to subject it to extreme temperatures but i did relocate away from the house as a precaution. im going to inspect it again tomorrow, i hadn't noticed till right now that the metal on the corner of that cell appears shiney. i think to the right of the ripped plastic is a scuff but i'm going to inspect closer to see if it's a dent of it it's deformed wrap material. that reflection looks suspicious
Gas Bumper Musical instrument accessory Wood Machine
Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior Vehicle door Fixture

· Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I know that John has been busy working on the heater hardware. But I have a cooling question. I've watched his two videos showing his FoMoCo 60S LiBCM installed in his car. It looks like the 60S doesn't have room for the OEM battery fan. I'm not sure whether the 60S is using the three smaller fans that the 5AhG3 system uses, or not. How is cooling done on the FoMoCo 60S LiBCM?

· Linsight Designer
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
The LiBCM PCB retains its three onboard fans, and in general that does a good job heating/cooling the pack.

FoMoCo retains support for the OEM fan/connector, but there really isn't a good fan location... in really hot locations (e.g. Phoenix), it might make sense to bolt the OEM fan to the perforated aluminum tray for additional key-on cooling. However, note that the OEM fan doesn't work when the car is off; parking lot cooling is only possible using LiBCM's onboard fans.

· Super Moderator
9,833 Posts
Just thinking, 12V is available in the left rear of the IPU for the MPI fan. Perhaps the stock battery fan could also be operated through a diode and a thermostatic switch??

· Linsight Designer
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Except maybe in Phoenix, I don't see a reason to drive the stock fan when the car is off. LiBCM's onboard fans move plenty of air through the IMA bay.

· Registered
18 Posts
Honestly I think that's kinda where we all are. I haven't had a single hiccup since that odd error code I was getting near the top of the SoC range a while back. Removing voltage spoofing fixed that problem(and I prefer it anyway with 40% hack, it's just too much Regen with voltage spoofing and 40%). I couldn't be happier with my LiBCM.

I'd also like to note my turbo CVT car with lithium has been sitting for about 5 or 6 months now, and it's only lost 4% SoC. It was at 45% when parked and is at something like 41% now. At least that's what it was when I checked it thanksgiving weekend.
I have a question for @Balto or @mudder regarding this subject. Will I do any harm to the system if I have LiBCM + 40% via mcm pcb + dc/dc resistor hack from "DC/DC Converter reverse ingenering project" to bump the voltage up to ~286v? Reason for this question is my plan is to install LiBCM with mima to be able to disable assist for turbo tune, since that option is not available at the moment I figure I would disable ima and run dc/dc resistor hack and tune with whatever rpm the ecu allow to reach. So when I install LiBCM with mima later on, do I have to change those dc/dc resistors back? or is that ~286v fine with LiBCM +functioning IMA? My priority at the moment is to run ICE unassisted to redline for tuning.

· Registered
363 Posts
Side note on Phoenix - it is unreal how quickly the cabin warms up after parking during the summer, so wouldn't expect it to provide much benefit after cooling for a short period of time. Made it through the summer here with zero issue using 5AhG3. Highest temps on the LiBCM display were seen when car sat unused all weekend at about 5PM (max heat saturation with no air movement). I saw 39C a few times.

· Linsight Designer
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Will I do any harm to the system if I have LiBCM + 40% via mcm pcb + dc/dc resistor hack from "DC/DC Converter reverse ingenering project" to bump the voltage up to ~286v? Reason for this question is my plan is to install LiBCM with mima to be able to disable assist for turbo tune, since that option is not available at the moment I figure I would disable ima and run dc/dc resistor hack and tune with whatever rpm the ecu allow to reach. So when I install LiBCM with mima later on, do I have to change those dc/dc resistors back? or is that ~286v fine with LiBCM +functioning IMA? My priority at the moment is to run ICE unassisted to redline for tuning.
You won't need to change the resistors inside the DCDC back. What they do is change the upper voltage limit that causes the DCDC to disable. Note that 60S lithium pack is only 252 VDC(max). My recommendation long term is to replace the DCDC resistors such that the DCDC turns off around 255 volts or so... that'll keep enough engineering margin on the OEM components in case the voltage for some reason exceeds that value.

· Registered
817 Posts
It’s worth noting that “frozen” lithium batteries can be heated a lot very efficiently without dendrite formation by sending a sufficiently high AC frequency (usually 60hz+) into the pack from the mains.

a few folks on diyelectriccar had tested circuits that did this and even came up with a way of determining the batteries apparent internal temp by measuring its apparent reluctance to ac current.

Because the current passed charge / discharge can be recovered the high current to heat uses minimal real power.
The pack also heats up much faster this way.

· Premium Member
471 Posts
@trickle is right.. Mudder has mentioned several times that he's trying to get the 5ahG3 LiBCM fully ready. He's been working on the FoMoCo setup in between times that he's waiting on parts for the 5ahG3 configuration or working his day job.

(I've been trying to figure out when the guy sleeps - I've seen videos posted at all hours of the night!)

I too have a set of modules waiting... it will be ready when it's ready, and I'm ok with that! :) (y)

Reactions: TaylorL and trickle

· Linsight Designer
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Any estimates when the FoMoCo kits will be able to start shipping? I've got my lithium batts and they are staring me in the face each day I walk by them. :) No rush, just curious.
Early next year. As @trickle mentioned, existing LiBCM customers are growing weary of the lack of firmware updates. I, too, want to exit open beta soon. My goal had been to exit open beta before the end of the year, but I've been busy with many other things, both related - and not - to LiBCM. Also, the battery heater project has taken several weeks longer than I had initially thought (story of my life).

Thanks for your patience. I'm certainly excited to start shipping LiBCM units again soon.

· Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Maybe I'm searching with the wrong keywords, but I can't find the answer. Do we know what model of Ford the 47Ah cells were designed for?

121 - 140 of 183 Posts