Honda Insight Forum banner
901 - 920 of 945 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Looks like LiDisplay is working properly!
yes, and quite professional graphics. When my head is in the right place I'll likely fork the 7" and put more on one screen. 7 is big to find a place for, especially with the 7" AIO rpi, so I'm still noodling mounting/location.

Reactions: Natalya

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Well I got a P1576 on my way to work today. I was at 79% SoC and every time I tried to Regen it would Regen like normal, then hard cutoff of Regen, then try to Regen again, repeat over and over. After about 4-5 times of it doing it, it popped a 1576 and cut me completely off from anything IMA related. I'm not running a current hack, and the voltage spoof is set to OEM behavior (anything else causes Regen surge above 3500rpm).

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Well I got a P1576 on my way to work today. I was at 79% SoC and every time I tried to Regen it would Regen like normal, then hard cutoff of Regen, then try to Regen again, repeat over and over. After about 4-5 times of it doing it, it popped a 1576 and cut me completely off from anything IMA related. I'm not running a current hack, and the voltage spoof is set to OEM behavior (anything else causes Regen surge above 3500rpm).
There are three P1576 codes. See the Advanced Troubleshooting Diagnostics PDF at github-doppelhub

There you will find that P1576 has three subcodes. All related to VPIN. A quick read indicates that one is for when VPIN is too low, another when it is too high, and another when it doesn't match what the BCM says it is (likely via BATSCI) by more than 10 volts for at least two seconds.

I'm not trying to jump in for Mudder here, but I do read this thread to keep educating myself for my own LTO build, especially when I see a code or issue that's unusual, and providing the correct voltage to VPIN is a problem I'm going to have to face. (TODO list: map VPIN voltages to VBAT voltages.) I'm sure Mudder will have some suggestions but knowing which of the subcodes were thrown can help point in the right direction. If it were mine, I'd find that out (fortunately I have a code reader that can read IMA codes and subcodes) and go from there (wonderful that Mudder has all the code posted - I spent a few minutes reading vPackSpoof.cpp and battsci.cpp which deals with these areas.

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #905 ·
Probably P1576(12). Known issue, but I think I've fixed it in the latest pre-release version. Are you running 0.8.4? If not, try that out. Also, were you forcing regen, or just OEM regen?

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Probably P1576(12). Known issue, but I think I've fixed it in the latest pre-release version. Are you running 0.8.4? If not, try that out. Also, were you forcing regen, or just OEM regen?
OEM. I don't have any type of MIMA in this car(to my own mental detriment).

I'm on 0.8.4, not the pre-release. I'll give that a shot. I couldn't reproduce the behavior no matter what I did on my drive home.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like you successfully loaded the custom bootloader. The key you're missing is that with the custom bootloader installed, the mega2560 must be plugged into the LiBCM PCB.

The reason this is required is that during each power-up, the custom firmware looks to see if the ignition is 'on'. If so, the bootloader immediately exits. However, if the ignition is 'off', then the bootloader looks to see if the host is trying to upload firmware.

The reason this is required is that LiBCM must turn on immediately when the key turns on, or else you'll get a CEL.

So basically you need to plug the mega2560 into LiBCM and then it will work. Please keep track of which one initially shipped with LiBCM... so you can send it back to me (prepaid) so I can see what's wrong with it.
I installed the new ATmega. It's working great. The old one is en route to Linsight worldwide headquarters.

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #908 ·
OEM. I don't have any type of MIMA in this car(to my own mental detriment).

I'm on 0.8.4, not the pre-release. I'll give that a shot. I couldn't reproduce the behavior no matter what I did on my drive home.
One thought is that LiBCM is rapidly toggling the "disable/allow regen" data (sent to MCM via BATTSCI). If the MCM rapidly responds to that request, then the spoofed voltage wouldn't update fast enough. I think I've seen the behavior leading up to this before... I'll add some hysteresis to the "disable regen" data (sent to MCM via BATTSCI).

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
One thought is that LiBCM is rapidly toggling the "disable/allow regen" data (sent to MCM via BATTSCI). If the MCM rapidly responds to that request, then the spoofed voltage wouldn't update fast enough. I think I've seen the behavior leading up to this before... I'll add some hysteresis to the "disable regen" data (sent to MCM via BATTSCI).
Got it to do it again today on the way home. Seems to happen sporadically from 77-78% SoC then violently until it tossed a code at 79%. Purposely made it toss a code just to verify but yea. Seems to be the case.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
fquick surface and message traffic.i flashing with latest pre-rellease didn't affect no crank on libcm. nothing odd in this log. i was yelled at for doing to much and told not even to twist for two more months ...project on shelf for a bit

Attachments

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #912 ·
Cryptic message.
Did the car start on the backup starter?
IMA/CEL lights?
P-codes?
Does latest released version work?

No rush answering, but just want to make sure I understand the issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
First off, thank you Mudder for an awesome kit! Very professionally done and packaged as I would have expected! Quick question, my 2019 Insight batteries came with a second cord and plug on one of the 12 cell and one of the 18 cell. Each on the opposite end of the main cord and plug. Appears to me that it may be added sensors.
Musical instrument accessory Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Electronic instrument
Musical instrument accessory Office equipment Gas Peripheral Electronic instrument

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Cryptic message.
Did the car start on the backup starter?
IMA/CEL lights?
P-codes?
Does latest released version work?

No rush answering, but just want to make sure I understand the issue.
Apologies for cryptic, this was reply to my last update :). Behavior consistent with last, engine cranks/no-start on backup. No crank on LIBCM Nextion display fork or pre-release. No IMA/Cel on LIBCM. Actual engine run likely a fuel/fire, but I was testing the cranking since it's low energy work for me. I can push release ver of LIBCM to it, thats a level of effort I can handle :). rpi is done, not to clutter this convo, if anyone is interested in detail I'll put in new thread. Basic description is: Pi 4B/4G/32G, OC2GHZ, rpi OS, 7inch touchscreen, BT portable keyboard with trackpad. Next to add is a wifi controlled ac switch for turning on rpi remotely, accessing LIBCM from house.

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #915 ·
First off, thank you Mudder for an awesome kit! Very professionally done and packaged as I would have expected! Quick question, my 2019 Insight batteries came with a second cord and plug on one of the 12 cell and one of the 18 cell. Each on the opposite end of the main cord and plug. Appears to me that it may be added sensors.
These are probably temperature sensors. If you measure ~10 kOhm between the various pins on that extra cable, then they're almost certainly temperature sensors. Regardless, you don't need them for the LiBCM kit.

Apologies for cryptic, this was reply to my last update :). Behavior consistent with last, engine cranks/no-start on backup. No crank on LIBCM Nextion display fork or pre-release. No IMA/Cel on LIBCM. Actual engine run likely a fuel/fire, but I was testing the cranking since it's low energy work for me. I can push release ver of LIBCM to it, thats a level of effort I can handle :). rpi is done, not to clutter this convo, if anyone is interested in detail I'll put in new thread. Basic description is: Pi 4B/4G/32G, OC2GHZ, rpi OS, 7inch touchscreen, BT portable keyboard with trackpad. Next to add is a wifi controlled ac switch for turning on rpi remotely, accessing LIBCM from house.
Until you can get the engine running, LiBCM's presence/absence and/or state are irrelevant.
Excited to read your Pi thread once you post it. Remote monitoring is cool! I'd love to add that wireless capability to LiBCM, but then I'd need FCC approval, so that's a non-starter.
Rest up and let us know updates when you're back to 100%.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,459 Posts
I bought a new DC/DC but I haven't put it in yet.

However, I do have one more observation on my P1440. It only happens on assist when the RPMs are low, like below 2500. Below 2500 any assist at all = P1440. If I'm above that I can go full throttle and hold it full throttle and I won't get the IMA light.

·
Linsight Designer
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #917 ·
I bought a new DC/DC but I haven't put it in yet.
DC/DC or IGBT? You need the IGBT power output stage (which converts HVDC into three-phase for the motor).

However, I do have one more observation on my P1440. It only happens on assist when the RPMs are low, like below 2500. Below 2500 any assist at all = P1440. If I'm above that I can go full throttle and hold it full throttle and I won't get the IMA light.
@retepsnikrep and I agree that this is due to the trapezoidal drive strategy the MCM uses below ~2000 RPM. Sounds like your IGBT module is busted. I have a couple spares if you want to try one out. The old one is just bolted in, so no major work required... just takes a couple hours to take the PDU out, swap the IGBT module, and then reinstall. The most annoying part is reconnected the three motor phase leads to the PDU.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,459 Posts
DC/DC or IGBT? You need the IGBT power output stage (which converts HVDC into three-phase for the motor).

@retepsnikrep and I agree that this is due to the trapezoidal drive strategy the MCM uses below ~2000 RPM. Sounds like your IGBT module is busted. I have a couple spares if you want to try one out. The old one is just bolted in, so no major work required... just takes a couple hours to take the PDU out, swap the IGBT module, and then reinstall. The most annoying part is reconnected the three motor phase leads to the PDU.
I've never seen like a diagram, or messed with one before. When I say DC/DC converter I'm just referring to "the big thing in the IMA bay to the left of the IMA battery" which looks like 3 large components stuck together with a fan at the back. So I got a new one of that whole thing. The IGBT is part of it right?

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,459 Posts
Okay taking it out was all right, took only about 30 minutes. Installing the new one was harder... mostly because I didn't have a magnet on a stick. It took over an hour to reinstall. Some of the bolts are hard to get to so a magnet stick would have really helped.

New DC/DC (large multi-piece module IDK proper term for the whole thing) in place, original current hacked MCM in place, firmware set to +40% in the config file, and everything seems to be working properly. I'll go on a 50 mile drive later today, hopefully it behaves normally.

·
Super Moderator
1,130 Posts
Ok. Lets clarify some terminology, because this drives me a bit crazy.

I (possibly incorrectly) refer to the whole assembly as the PDU Module. I.e. Power Delivery Unit. In the ETM, Honda calls it the "PCU."

In my very strongly felt opinion, this assembly should not be referred to as the "DC-DC."

The car has a DC-DC converter module and it's only part of the PDU assembly. Specifically it's the module on the right side of the PDU assembly that faces the junction board.

901 - 920 of 945 Posts