Honda Insight Forum banner
1081 - 1100 of 1157 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Were you getting P1576 (with v0.8.4) because the beta firmware expired?
P1445 is a contactor-related issue. It can be caused by:
-cutting the GRN/BLK wire going to the DCDC.
-the pre-charge contactor and/or inline resistor aren't connected.
-the main contactor is damaged.
-the busbars and/or current cable connectors are loose.

If you have an OBDIIC&C, you should verify that LiBCM's spoofed pack voltage (the one in parenthesis on the 4x20 display) is close to the pack voltage reported by the OBDIIC&C.
Were you getting P1576 (with v0.8.4) because the beta firmware expired?
P1445 is a contactor-related issue. It can be caused by:
-cutting the GRN/BLK wire going to the DCDC.
-the pre-charge contactor and/or inline resistor aren't connected.
-the main contactor is damaged.
-the busbars and/or current cable connectors are loose.

If you have an OBDIIC&C, you should verify that LiBCM's spoofed pack voltage (the one in parenthesis on the 4x20 display) is close to the pack voltage reported by the OBDIIC&C.
Cleared P1445 with OBDII C&C for the 3rd or 4th time and now everything is working. Will drive and see if P1576 comes back.

One more problem, I have lost half of the 3rd and 4th row 8th block on my 4 x 20 display.
Rectangle Font Electronic signage Gadget Display device

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,083 ·
Let me know if either code comes back... P1445 probably isn't due to LiBCM, but it's certainly possible.

I've had this happen to a couple 4x20 displays over the years. They are easily damaged if too much pressure is applied to the back of the screen. Do you think it's possible your screen sustained mechanical damage? Fortunately, they are cheap off-the-shelf components. No programming required... just unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
Let me know if either code comes back... P1445 probably isn't due to LiBCM, but it's certainly possible.

I've had this happen to a couple 4x20 displays over the years. They are easily damaged if too much pressure is applied to the back of the screen. Do you think it's possible your screen sustained mechanical damage? Fortunately, they are cheap off-the-shelf components. No programming required... just unplug the old one and plug in the new one.
I really wish there was a purple screen one :(.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Glad to know they are plug-in, hadn't looked to see if they were plug in or soldered to a circuit board as mine been in a 3d printed housing most of it's life.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight, 5MT
145 Posts
I really wish there was a purple screen one :(.
Sorry - tangent discussion,
There are RGB 4x20 lcd versions with positive or negative color space. They have two extra pins for the RGB and would take extra work to wire in and support. +20-40mA draw may be a problem. DIY at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Has anyone run into this issue? I can't upload to the car the latest code, my older version upload just fine, I'm getting the error below but only on this version. I'm doing exactly the same steps on both files and they're not in the same folder.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property

·
Registered
125 Posts
Has anyone run into this issue? I can't upload to the car the latest code, my older version upload just fine, I'm getting the error below but only on this version. I'm doing exactly the same steps on both files and they're not in the same folder.
You didn't unzip the software correctly. See this post (970):

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
You didn't unzip the software correctly. See this post (970):

Both files are in their own folder, the older version uploads just fine, I'll give it another try just to verify, I'm currently running V0.8.4 but I saw in a post there someone mentioned a newer version was out so I was going to give it a try.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Both files are in their own folder, the older version uploads just fine, I'll give it another try just to verify, I'm currently running V0.8.4 but I saw in a post there someone mentioned a newer version was out so I was going to give it a try.
Both files? You need all the files. About 60 of 'em. In your screenshot, I only see MVP.INO. There should be tabs showing a bunch of other files across the top. Reread post #970. If it's still not clear, watch mudder's video that explains the software installation. The relevant part starts at about 3:30.

You can't open up MVP.INO in a folder by itself. It's got to be in the folder with all the files that makes up the LiBCM executable. Mudder says that you only have to be concerned with 2 files, MVP.INO and config.h. And that's true. But all their friends have to be in the same folder. :)

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
Has this been added to the current firmware as cold temps have arrived to my area. Below freezing every night and probably down to 0F next month.
Good question. I'm hoping that it won't completely disable assist/regen. Our lithium-ion plugin Prius still has assist/regen in the depths of Iowa winters.

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,093 ·
Has this been added to the current firmware as cold temps have arrived to my area. Below freezing every night and probably down to 0F next month.
No, but it's high on my list of features to complete this month. Until then, my recommendation is to disable IMA (e.g. Calpod switch) if the temperature LiBCM displays is below 0 degC.

Good question. I'm hoping that it won't completely disable assist/regen. Our lithium-ion plugin Prius still has assist/regen in the depths of Iowa winters.
It will completely disable regen, and severely limit assist.

·
Linsight Designer
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,095 ·
What is the temperature setting that you have in mind for this?
I haven't looked into it enough yet to have hard numbers, but certainly you don't want any regen below 0 degC, as this causes rapid lithium plating inside the cells (bad new bears). My understanding is that this issue persists even at low charge rates. I'll need to look at the textbooks before I can state definitively what the setpoints are.

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
Hmm. Sorry, not trying to get us sidetracked here, but are you referring to the temperature of the battery? Or the ambient outside air temperature? Hopefully this is battery temperature.

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
Model nameEHW5
Capacity (Ah)5.0
Voltage (V)3.6
Dimensions (mm)L120.0×D12.5×W85.0
Weight (kg)0.229
Operating temperature range-30℃ to 55℃
Storage temperature range-40℃ to 65℃
Maximum current (A)*300

Not sure what 'operating' actually means in this context??

I wonder what my (EH5) Lithium CR-Z will do when it gets below 0C here..

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
According to this page: "(Lithium-Ion) batteries operate over a wide temperature range, but this does not give permission to also charge them at these conditions."
I may have to rethink my entire regimen for how/when I charge. I may have to get the batteries warmed up with cabin heat while driving and then charge as soon as I arrive at my destination, rather than waiting for the cheaper night-time charging rate. Those of us in Iowa/Wisconsin/Minnesota, etc. are very likely to see weeks in a row with daytime highs below 0 degC.

Still wondering how my lithium-ion powered 2015 plug-in Prius can successfully charge in below 0 degC temps after the car has been sitting in those temps for many hours.

·
Registered
404 Posts
@retepsnikrep That data is for blue energy EHW5 cells, this project uses Panasonic G3 Insight modules (uf121285h).

@mudder can we check the settings that the G3 Insight uses? With the G3 insight the engine can only connect directly to the drivetrain at high speeds. At lower speeds it uses only the engine side electric motor (generator) and the batteries, to power the drivetrain side electric motor.

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
1081 - 1100 of 1157 Posts