Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Just wanted to share what has been happening.
As many of you know I bought a Chevy Bolt EV and sold or gave away all of my insights and parts last year
Have 20k on the Bolt and can’t tell you how happy I am with the vehicle
Hypermiling the car I have been getting 5-6 miles/kWh or 360 miles on a charge
The epa rating is 238 miles

In January I replaced the 24 1000Ah lead acid
Solar batteries I had been struggling to keep charged as they have seriously deterated after only 4 years
I replaced them with a huge 57kwh lithium pack
I made from 8 Ford C-Max energi packs
Can run the place totally off grid for several days and can also keep the Bolt EV charged off grid so I virtually have free electric and free transportation.
Have bought the Bolt service manuals so I am ready to dig into the car like I did with the insight but not much improvement is necessary.
To assure reliable solar during winter I got my self a genie work platform machine which also allowed me to Replace the siding on my home , cut trees and other projects that I am getting too old for (74)
Get to see Iamian occasionally and hear from grid charger owners
Happy to see that the insight forum is still active
And wish all of you good luck with your cars and projects
MikeD

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Good to hear from you and happy you are enjoying the Bolt.

I still use my Genesis Chargers all the time. Blew out the MOS-FET in the discharger, but HybridRevolt has a fix kit and it looks really easy to repair.

Moving my MIMA car to car, for the 3rd or 4th time. Going to couple it with my Lithium LTO conversion in the Citrus I bought just down the road from you.

At 74 you aren't old. Heck, I'm 80. Just stay as busy and active as you are. I think that is the key to a good old age.

Best wishes to you and give my regards to Sue. She was always such a gracious lady to the Insight bunch:)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Thanks for the update Mike, you were truly an inspiration for me when I first bought my Insight used back in 2010! Glad you are having a good time playing with the Bolt, almost got rid of mine a year ago but decided to go all in and refresh it so it will be road worthy for maybe 10 more years to come. We'll see if it last that long?

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
All good stuff :D

I think you'll be much happier with the Li Solar Pack :
Larger usable SoC window
Higher cycle efficiency
Lower Self Discharge
More cycle life

--

I'm glad reasonably well made OEM BEVs like the Bolt are an off the shelf option for people today :D

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys Sue is doing fine except for a bum knee
I am still healthy and still have too many projects but without the constant phone calls I can concentrate and take my time so it’s fun

My problem now is that when we get two days of sun in a row my solar batteries and the Bolt get fully charged and I have no where to use the energy
I’m not set up to sell back to the grid so will set up some electric heaters in the shop instead of using oil .

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I wanted to say thank you for all your helpful info you gave me on the Genesis 1 serial ooo4 a few weeks back on the phone,was a pleasure and honor to chat with you.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Must be nice to have too much free energy.

Don't you feel guilty taking away so many sun rays when you can't use them. Oh I forgot, it all winds up as heat anyway, just a question of how it gets there;)

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
Thanks for checking in, Mike. It's good to hear from you. Your new projects sound fun. No more electric telephone truck? I think about you whenever I use my charger or MIMA. Please say Hi to Sue!

Sam

·
Administrator
10,770 Posts
Thanks for the update, glad to see you are well.
You will be pleased to hear there is still a lot of stuff going on with R&D, gadgets, Lithium etc.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I occasionally get on the forum and check out what’s happening
FYI
I just designed and built a board to take the series cells in my 48v pack and output a ground referenced individual cell voltage so I can datalog the individual cell voltages
Used an op amp with a 200v common mode input and will be hooking it up to the DAQ system today
I expect the same circuit could read all the cells in an Insight 144 v pack and output each cell voltage referenced to ground

Part i used is a INA148
Want to watch all 30 lithium modules (2
Packs of 15 cells each ) to see how well they are balanced
I’m using an active cell balancer system from
China that IamIan found it draws power from the high cells and charges the low cells

Pretty difficult to balance a 560 AH cell
With a parasitic resistor balancer.
The active balancer is always on and working and seems to be doing the job but I won’t know till I get the datalogger working.
Have fun and make the Insight all it can be
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts