Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been taking the 2000 Honda Insight to the same shop for years for oil changes and infrequent repairs. This time, after the oil change the lifetime MPG disappeared and was replaced in its display by a lower number that might be the trip MPG. The mechanic I complained to said that it happened each time the maintenance due message was reset. This was not true in past resets, but I did not argue. My question is, can the lifetime MPG be retrieved and restored to its proper display?

The same mechanic tightened the parking brake at my request--a little too much, so that there was almost no slack and the BRAKE message remained on. I asked him him to loosen it some, which he did. The BRAKE message is still erratically on, however. Any way to turn it off without loosening the parking brake excessively?

The mechanic also said that the maintenance due light can be automatically activated earlier than scheduled if the car is driven in rough conditions (e.g., the Canadian schedule or too many hills). Is that true?

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Sounds like you need a new mechanic. I doubt if the LMPG can be retrieved.

The maintenance light is not an active learner like it is on some other cars. 7,500 miles. Period.

Sam

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Is it possible he just toggled the TRIP button and changed from the display of lifetime mpg to trip mpg, rather than "erasing" the lifetime mpg calculation? Pressing the TRIP button momentarily (provided it works good enough - they often don't) toggles between Lifetime mpg, Trip A mpg, and Trip B mpg...

Also, the FCD button toggles between Lifetime/trip A/trip B on the one hand, vs. segment mpg on the other... Press and hold trip button resets trip A or Trip B, whichever screen is showing when you press and hold. Pressing and holding the FCD button resets the segment mpg if the screen is on segment mpg; pressing and holding the FCD button if the screen is on one of the Trips toggles the instantaneous mpg bar display OFF for the Trips, or something like that...

Not sure about your brake light question... Maintenance light - I believe it's what rainsux says...

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Per owners manual

To reset lifetime....

display the lifetime reading
press and hold trip button until lifetime begins to blink
release trip button and press again while still blinking and hold until display clears to dashes.

Sounds to me like you would have to get pretty lucky to clear it UN-intentionally.

Page 53 for those that want to look it up

Randall

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks and Some Comments

Lifetime MPG has been reset, alas. I imagine the technician did it while trying to reset the Maintenance Required light. Like the 100 monkeys typing at their keyboards that manage to produce a Shakespeare sonnet.

The FCD button has not worked in years. Apparently it is not indispensable.

I covered the Maintenance Required light with black gaffer tape as it is annoying, obtrusive, and unnecessary. I have never missed an oil change on any car I have owned.

Thanks for the help.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,873 Posts
It sounds like your trip button is malfunctioning. If the button was working it would be very easy to reset maintenance light.

If I were you I would replace all 4 buttons (trip, mph/kmh, and the screen brightness buttons on the other side) so that you can use the different trips and reset the maintenance light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts