Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I guess this is a newbie question.

I've owned my Insight only a couple weeks. Love it. :p

But I cannot seem to get lifetime mpg to display on the dash. I checked the owner's manual and it says lmpg is supposed to show when you select "odometer" on the display with the FCD buttom. But all I see in that mode is the odometer, nothing else (not the instantaneous mpg bar graph, either).

Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do not believe there is any setting that disables the mpg display next to the odometer. Sounds like you may have a defective display. It could just be a unconnected wire in the back of the dash. I'd bring it in to get looked at.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Check on page 53 of your Owner's manual. There is a section called "Turning Off the Mileage Displays"

There are ways to disable the displays (FDC for 3 seconds + button to disable), maybe you have done it without knowing.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Page 55-56 of the (2002) owner's manual.

With The ignition switch in the on position engine running or not, press and hold the FCD button for 3 seconds. The fuel mileage display for the segment selected (trip A, B or the odometer) will turn on/off. To select the segment use the trip button then hold the FCD button for 3 seconds to toggle on/off its MPG display. MPG counting will continue whether or not the MPG option is displayed.

A similar procedure (2002 owner's manual pg. 55) is used to reset the LMPG (Lifetime MPG) segment to zero, so don't fumble around with these buttons unless you don't care to have it accidentally reset.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are awesome, thanks! I'll give that a try. I bet the previous owner turned off the lmpg display without knowing it.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Let's hope he turned it off because it was so high that he worried about his ego exploding rather than that it was turned off out of shame.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys were right. It was just turned off. I should have read my owner's manual more carefully before taking up bandwidth!

But anyway, it now shows a lmpg of 48.X, which seems low compared to what most people get around here. But the guy I bought it from drove it like a normal car and wasn't much into the car's unique features, so it's really not surprising.

I think I'll now reset it and try to do better!

Thanks again! :D

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
If you newly reset it, it is a perfect opportunity to answer the post about the way the lmpg increments.

The question (see recent related post of today or yesterday) is whether the lmpg increments in cycles of 0.3 0.2 0.2 repeated over and over again. Yours will be changing a lot at first, so you can check this out with lots of data points.

If you think it is interesting to do that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts