Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one year I have managed to move my Insight from a lifetime mpg of 61.5 at 29,000 miles, all the way up to a lifetime mpg of 64.1 at 47,000 miles. (I never reset the lmpg when I got the car.) I figure this means I've been getting just under 68 to ~69 mpg, depending on how you calculate it.

One thing I've noticed on the way is that the lmpg gauge does not update in even incremental amounts.
Although, I have noticed that it updates in a predictable pattern:

Starting number
Increase 0.3
Increase 0.2
Increase 0.2
repeat

Here's how mine has gone up since last October.

Start 61.5 Increase 0.3
61.8 Increase 0.2
62.0 increase 0.2
62.2 increase 0.3
62.5 increase 0.2
62.7 increase 0.2
62.9 increase 0.3
63.2 increase 0.2
63.4 increase 0.2
63.6 increase 0.3
63.9 increase 0.2

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have noticed that too, though I've never attempted to map out the exact pattern, I did notice that it goes up in increments of either 0.2 or 0.3, and never 0.1.

I would hazard a guess that the MPG is stored internally in the computer in some unit that happened to be convenient based on the odometer and fuel flow sensor inputs. Then, this gets multiplied by some value to produce the result you see on your dash. However, since it's likely stored as an integer (I somewhat doubt that the Honda ECU has a floating point unit on board. ;) ) it won't store a fractional amount.

Pure speculation of course.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It has to do with the conversion from Metric to Imperial measurments. Just be glad it only updates every minute. My mom's Yukon (LMPG ~13mpg) has a mpg meter burried in a lot of the other menu's you can look at on the dash display which updates every second and is accurate to a tenth of a mpg. Just think of how crazy that would drive you in an Insight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts