Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are all the light bulbs, their part numbers, dimensions, and colors:

Interior Lights
- Dome light [DE3175] (L – 1.25in/31.7mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Map lights (2) [DE3175] (L – 1.25in/31.7mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Glove box light [158] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Trunk/cargo area light [168] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Dashboard lights [T5]?

Exterior Lights – front
- Parking lights (2) [168] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Side marker lights (2) [168] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white/*yellow*
- Turn signal lights (2) [7440] (L – 1.75in/44.4mm / Dia – 0.875in/22.2mm): yellow
- Low beam headlamps (2) [H11]: white
- High beam headlamps (2) [9005]: white

Exterior Lights – rear
- Back-up/reverse lights (2) [921] (L – 1.49in/37.8mm / Dia – 0.625in/15.8 mm): white
- License plate lights (2) [168] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Side marker lights (2) [194] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white/*red*
- Turn signal lights (2) [7440] (L – 1.75in/44.4mm / Dia – 0.875in/22.2mm): yellow

Notes:
1.) There are several options for LED replacements. Make sure the LED bulbs you want to use aren't too much bigger than the stock bulbs, or else they won't fit in the light housing. The length should not be much of a concern for the parking lights and reverse lights since there's lots of space in the housing. Just make sure the diameter isn't too much larger than stock or the replacement bulbs won't fit.

2.) Except for the turn signal lights (which are yellow/amber), the color of all the stock bulbs is white. The reason I listed two colors for the front and rear side marker lights is because the light housings for the front and rear side marker lights are yellow and red, respectively. This is important if you are going to replace the stock side marker lights with LED bulbs. White LEDs give off very little yellow and red light. A white LED light in a yellow or red housing means very little actual emitted light. So its best to use yellow LEDs for the front side marker lights and red LEDs for the rear side marker lights.

3.) If you are going to replace the turn signal lights, you'll need to attach load resistors in order to prevent the lights from hyper flashing.

4.) I'm pretty sure that only the EX models have a glove compartment light (At least in the US).

5.) I haven't tried to open up the dashboard yet, but it seems like T5 lights are virtually universal in cars.

6.) I couldn't find the dimensions for the low beam & high beam headlamps.

7.) Its not recommended to replace your low & high beam headlamps with LEDs. Replacing fog lights with LED bulbs is ok.

8.) The tail light, stop light, and high mount stop light are already LEDs. So its probably better not to replace those either.

If you have any information to add or questions to ask, feel free to add/ask.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a few places to buy replacement LED bulbs (and some other things as well):
(I have no affiliation with any of these websites and don't profit in any way if you buy anything from them.)

1.) Super Bright Car LED Lights, LED Bulbs, LED Headlights and Tail Lights

2.) Insight LED - Honda LED - Shop by Vehicle

3.) Honda Insight Accessories & Parts - CARiD.com

4.) LED Lights for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs

5.) Honda Insight Accessories - Genuine 2010-2013 Honda Insight Hybrid Accessories Shipped at Discount Prices

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi I would like to find out. What foglight bulb is honda insight 2011 using? Is it same as head light low beam h11?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi I would like to find out. What foglight bulb is honda insight 2011 using? Is it same as head light low beam h11?
Yup, the exact same. I took them all out for HIDS (the low beam) and LEDs (the foggies) and they are identical H11 55W halogens.

Might sell them some day. No, I keep them to replace the LEDs if it gets really foggy. My 3W LEDs are fine as DRLs (the 2011 European Insight does not have DRLs as standard) but way less bright than the foggies. OTOH the lows are now so bright that I probably never need the foggies anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yup, the exact same. I took them all out for HIDS (the low beam) and LEDs (the foggies) and they are identical H11 55W halogens.

Might sell them some day. No, I keep them to replace the LEDs if it gets really foggy. My 3W LEDs are fine as DRLs (the 2011 European Insight does not have DRLs as standard) but way less bright than the foggies. OTOH the lows are now so bright that I probably never need the foggies anyway.
Thanks for the reply. My insight curently is using HID on the low beam. I was thinking to change the foglight bulb to either silver star white bulb or the LED type bulb. Any advice which is better? Not going to use HID on the foglight, it is just to hassle to do it and too bright for a foglight.

I read somewhere about hid and led will make the projector lens foggies in long run. Is that true?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Safe, probably, but it is not what it pretends to be.
According to Wikipedia a H11 55W halogen lamp should produce about 1350 Lumen.
As you can see in the specs, that LED produces barely half that (700 Lumen)
Also, its color temperature (5500-6500 K) means it emits blueish white light, but in fog blue light penetrates less far than red, so the 'warmer' the color the further you can see. Yellow would be best, red or orange would be illegal...

They cannot really use 50 Watt without quickly baking the LEDs. They probably use only 8 Watt or so.
High performance LEDs need a big cooling element; usually the plug housing is metal too then and has fins protruding from the back, or even an inbuilt ventilator
(I do not advice you to buy that one, it just goes to show what can be done)

So at just 700 Lumen and blueish they are not suitable as fog lights.
They can be strong DRLs though. Mine are just 280 Lumen or such. They are not blinding, but do get noticed.
But for that price I just would not buy, esp. since there are cheaper alternatives that are hardly less bright.

BTW. you can access the fog lights by unscrewing the front Phillips screw on the triangular plate under the bumper. (you need a screw driver with a short stem if the wheels are on the pavement!)
It lifts up inward, then you can access the back of the lamp.
The lamps are real pigs to get loose and fixed again, so take care you remember the position they are in when they come loose.
You need to remove the plugs to get them out (they have a lip in the big side that you need to press in) but you may leave them on while getting them loose for extra leverage.
Make sure the rubber ring comes with the lamp; your replacement has one too and you have no chance in hell to get that in on a pair of those rings, as I discovered... :eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for all the useful guidelines. Seems like a bad idea using this led bulb for my fog light. I was actually considering either white halogen bulb or led bulb.
What about those Philips white bulb or superstar white bulb with 5000k. Are these bulbs any good or maybe better than using led bulb?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You're welcome ;)
It just depends on what you want.
I find that I seldom need to use my fog lights for fog, so I use them with relatively weak LEDs as DRLs (*).
If you have to use them for fog every once in a while, then the original halogens are fine. You swapped the lows for HIDs so you have halogen spares for a lifetime.
Only when you need to use the fogs most of the time will you eventually burn through your stock, and then a (real) highpower LED just might earn itself back, or HIDs if you want your foggies real bright; but make sure they have a 'warm' color.

I would not bother with 'whiter' halogens for the fog lights, esp. when that is achieved with blue coating; as that is the color that penetrates fog the least and spreads the most, blinding your own sight.

(*) I may add LED strips under the indicators as DRLs, then I will put the original halogens back in the fog lights.
As the fog lichts are not too far apart, I get the feeling when I use them as DRLs that other road users judge the distance wrong and cross when it is just too close and such.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just reading this thread and I was wondering if I would need a relay kit to install my hid kit for the high beams/DRLs 9005? Does it draw enough power from the ballast when on DRLs?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just reading this thread and I was wondering if I would need a relay kit to install my hid kit for the high beams/DRLs 9005? Does it draw enough power from the ballast when on DRLs?
HID cannot be used as DRL.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Bummer... So it's better if I used led 9005 as my drl?
Yes, but LED is pretty crappy to be honest, not that bright for DRL unless you get some good quality ones like from VLEDS. I'm not sure if you would need a resistor box or not or some sort of wiring to use as DRL.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Led drl

LED DRL - I decided I'd like to not have the yellow DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

People said they got pulled over for blue lights so I went with 6000k which is a white/blue light.

I found a kit on eBay that included the resistors needed and the wireing harness.

The bulbs just fit. The wires are plenty long. I'll have to mod the domes at the back of the headlight but for now I left them open.

6000K White 9005 LED Daytime Running Light Kit for Acura TSX TL Honda Civic Etc | eBay

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks a ton for this thread. Swapped out my interior and license plate light with LEDs yesterday and am waiting on LED low beams to arrive in the mail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here are all the light bulbs, their part numbers, dimensions, and colors:

Interior Lights
- Dome light [DE3175] (L – 1.25in/31.7mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Map lights (2) [DE3175] (L – 1.25in/31.7mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Glove box light [158] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Trunk/cargo area light [168] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Dashboard lights [T5]?

Exterior Lights – front
- Parking lights (2) [168] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Side marker lights (2) [168] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white/*yellow*
- Low beam headlamps (2) [H11]: white
- High beam headlamps (2) [9005]: white

Exterior Lights – rear
- Back-up/reverse lights (2) [921] (L – 1.49in/37.8mm / Dia – 0.625in/15.8 mm): white
- License plate lights (2) [168] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white
- Side marker lights (2) [194] (L – 1.06in/26.9mm / Dia – 0.406in/10.3mm): white/*red*

Notes:
1.) There are several options for LED replacements. Make sure the LED bulbs you want to use aren't too much bigger than the stock bulbs, or else they won't fit in the light housing. The length should not be much of a concern for the parking lights and reverse lights since there's lots of space in the housing. Just make sure the diameter isn't too much larger than stock or the replacement bulbs won't fit.

2.) Except for the turn signal lights (which are yellow/amber), the color of all the stock bulbs is white. The reason I listed two colors for the front and rear side marker lights is because the light housings for the front and rear side marker lights are yellow and red, respectively. This is important if you are going to replace the stock side marker lights with LED bulbs. White LEDs give off very little yellow and red light. A white LED light in a yellow or red housing means very little actual emitted light. So its best to use yellow LEDs for the front side marker lights and red LEDs for the rear side marker lights.

3.) If you are going to replace the turn signal lights, you'll need to attach load resistors in order to prevent the lights from hyper flashing.

4.) I'm pretty sure that only the EX models have a glove compartment light (At least in the US).

5.) I haven't tried to open up the dashboard yet, but it seems like T5 lights are virtually universal in cars.

6.) I couldn't find the dimensions for the low beam & high beam headlamps.

7.) Its not recommended to replace your low & high beam headlamps with LEDs. Replacing fog lights with LED bulbs is ok.

8.) The tail light, stop light, and high mount stop light are already LEDs. So its probably better not to replace those either.

If you have any information to add or questions to ask, feel free to add/ask.
Thanks for this invaluable information! I used it to find LED replacements on amazon.com for the standard incandescent map, dome, trunk, glove box and license plate bulbs. Do you have any information on how to replace the glove box light? And the license plate lights seem to require taking the back hatch apart. Do you have any experience you can share? Thanks, again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The glovebox light pops right out, its just in a really small space. I used pliers to grab the bulb and pull it out. Just be careful not to break it.

The license plate lights are kinda tricky, but you don't need to take the hatch apart.

Just push left or right on the light housing (I think its different for each side) and pull down.

This video kinda demonstrates it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1T35HKgTQY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great Advice on Installing Replacement Interior Lights with LEDs

Thanks, newscast. I particularly appreciated the youtube video link. I put on some disposable plastic gloves to give me some grip, wrapped a rubber band around the glovebox bulb and gave it a tug with a pair of standard pliers. Bingo, the old bulb slide right out without breaking.

The rear license plate bulbs also came out easily. I noticed that the plastic housings actually have an arrow on them showing which direction to slide each housing in order to release them from the the frame.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts